Tolkien and the OED

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Tolkien and the OED

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I was poking around oed.com last night, as I often do, when something on the front page caught my eye. Apparently, someone has written a book about Tolkien's involvement with and contributions to the Oxford English Dictionary called The Ring of Words. It's being released today, in fact. If its good, it looks like it will be interesting. I've loved the OED ever since reading Simon Winchester's The Professor and the Madman, and always wanted to find out more about Tolkien's involvment with the project since he only recieves briefs mentions elsewhere.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Sounds very cool! If you do read it, let us know how it is... I have not read The Professor and the Madman, but I remember being intrigued by it when I saw it. Note to self: put it on the list.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for the info, Mossy! :)
Looks very interesting!

I miss having access to the OED - while studying was free in Germany, I used to remain inscribed at Uni long after I'd got my MA, because the only reason you'd have to leave was getting a steady job, because that meant you couldn't be a student, for insurance purposes, and I didn't manage to get a steady job. And while I was inscribed I had access to the online OED through my membership of the Uni library. *sigh* :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.