Badass lines

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Badass lines

Post by Frelga »

[I split this off from the thread on TH:TBOTFA - VtF]
Dave_LF wrote:
"They" ridicule his lines, too. Such as:
‘Elendil!’ he cried. ‘I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dъnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!’
But... but... that line is awesome. Also, people don't use the word "swiftly" often enough.
:agree:

I still can't believe PJ left that line out. It's the most badass line ever spoken by a fictional character.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Nope.

"Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I agree with Alatar - THAT line is the most Badass.

AND I agree swiftly.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't. :P It's easy to talk tough when you are an (almost) immortal Witch King who makes even Maiar worry, backed up by a pterodactyl on steroids and facing a lone mortal warrior. Aragorn challenged an entire Éored all by himself.

However, I do have to correct my statement. The answering lines are, in fact, the most badass spoken by a fictional character, “But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.”

Aragorn will have to settle for the most badass lines spoken by a male character.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Frelga wrote:...the most badass spoken by a fictional character, “But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.” .
:love: :love: :love:
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Especially as immortalized by the great Susie Derkins:

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Éowyn totally wins this competition. :love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That part about being left naked to the Lidless Eye has a whole new terror in these parts. :twisted:

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

But then we have to decide the criteria for "the most Badass line". Is the fragility of the character speaking it an important characteristic, or are we going to judge it on the basis of general bad-assness expressed linguistically in the sentence?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

What I like about the Aragorn line that started it all is not its badassery, but rather its rhythm and its Anglo-Saxon stacking of genitive phrases. I suspect the whole first sentence would be very efficient rendered in old English.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Do we have anyone here that speaks Old English?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Hwaet!
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Hwǣr is þæt gangsetl?