new Hammond & Scull: The Art of LotR (2015)

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Tyrhael

new Hammond & Scull: The Art of LotR (2015)

Post by Tyrhael »

Dorwiniondil at the Plaza has pointed out that Scull and Hammond have revealed their latest project on their blog: The Art of the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I'm getting very excited about this new publication. :love: I'll have to check out Art of The Hobbit as well; I must have not been around when that came out. :oops:
"In discussion with HarperCollins, we chose to document Tolkien’s art for The Lord of the Rings in its entirety, as we had earlier his art for The Hobbit, to the extent that it survives and is known to us or to its curators. [...] Of the art in the new book, 101 images are previously unpublished, and of the other 81 pictures, 42 will be published in colour for the first time."
:bow:
Last edited by Tyrhael on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: new Hammond & Scull: The Art of LotR (2015)

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Great news, and the first that I have heard of it! Thanks for sharing it here, Tyrhael!

Their Art of The Hobbit book is (not surprisingly) superb, as is their previous J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator. I'm a little surprised to learn that there is still so many previously unpublished illustrations of LOTR by Tolkien. But equally, I look forward to Wayne and Christina's informative commentary.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Likewise. One for the library.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Mmmm....excellent news - can't wait! Volumes such as this illustrate why I still have a preference for the physical over the e-book anyday!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Here is Christina and Wayne's blog post:

http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/ ... -part-two/

This really sounds exciting:
The Lord of the Rings is of course a much longer and more complex work than The Hobbit, and has a different nature and history. It was written over a greater length of time, and with more false starts and wrong avenues; and it never had drawings or paintings made for publication, or to include in a ‘home manuscript’ the author could show to friends, except for a few maps and ‘facsimile’ inscriptions. Instead, the bulk of the art behind The Lord of the Rings consists of sketches, plans, and maps which Tolkien made to aid him in his writing – more numerous, more miscellaneous, and usually less ‘finished’ than the Hobbit art – and because these images were made as the story was conceived and revised, we needed to relate them not to a comparatively short text like The Hobbit, and not only to the published Lord of the Rings, but also to Tolkien’s drafts as published in The History of Middle-earth or, more directly in a few instances, as preserved among his papers at Marquette University.

In discussion with HarperCollins, we chose to document Tolkien’s art for The Lord of the Rings in its entirety, as we had earlier his art for The Hobbit, to the extent that it survives and is known to us or to its curators. It was always clear that The Art of The Lord of the Rings would be a longer book than The Art of The Hobbit, though when we began we couldn’t guess how long it would be, and as we worked, more images came to light than were on our initial list. Our new book will be 240 pages long, compared with 144 pages for The Art of The Hobbit, and will contain 182 pieces of artwork (plus 11 details), all of it in colour, versus 104 pieces (with 2 sets of details) for our earlier book. In appearance, the new volume will be similar in design to The Art of The Hobbit, in a large square format, but this time with no gatefolds as they didn’t seem warranted. HarperCollins are working on a handsome binding and slipcase design, shown here in mockup.
Not the final art: trial binding and slipcase prepared by HarperCollins

This promises to be as much a companion to the "History of The Lord of the Rings" volumes of HoME as to LOTR itself. Really excited!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Their Art of The Hobbit book is (not surprisingly) superb, as is their previous J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator. [...] But equally, I look forward to Wayne and Christina's informative commentary.
Good point - I loved Artist and Illustrator for both its art content and their commentary, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the commentary in this upcoming work as well. I suppose I'll put Art of The Hobbit on my Christmas list: if I don't receive it, I'll just buy it for myself anyway. ;)
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

This is delightful news. I have Artist and Illustrator but I didn't know about the Hobbit volume.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Morwenna wrote:This is delightful news. I have Artist and Illustrator but I didn't know about the Hobbit volume.
Same here. Artist & illustrator is one of my favorite books. Now I can add two more to my collection. :)

---------------
Sent with elvish telepathic powers with a dashed line above to make Jude happy.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hard to believe it is well over 3 years since we were anticipating Art of The Hobbit!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2953
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes