FOTR Score Discussion: The Council of Elrond

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

FOTR Score Discussion: The Council of Elrond

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Me and Eru (and anyone else who wants to join :poke:) are going over part of FOTR again; don't worry, we'll return to TTT in due time.

We're starting with Many Meetings (Orthanc/Rivendell on the complete recordings). I'll probably go back and do the first several tracks as I have the time. (which I've wanted to do anyway)

Enjoy! :)

Orthanc:

[0:00]As Gandalf recalls his imprisonment on the peak of Orthanc, harsh brass pulses over thudding percussion, it briefly references the Reclamation of Nature theme as the Moth reappears before...[0:40] launching into a dramatic fanfare as Gwhair carries him away...[0:51]...the brass segueing into strings as they soar over the Misty Mountains.

Lyrics:
I cemen nurrua… The earth groans…

ar i sure…i súre naina! and the wind… the wind is crying!

Rivendell/Many Meetings:

[0:00]As Frodo awakens the hobbit theme is gently played in its Hymn setting by solo woodwind and strings. [0:18]As the four hobbits are reunited, the Rivendell theme (consisting of a series of arrepegios and mixed choir singing the "Hymn to Elbereth") is introduced. [1:01]As Frodo spots Bilbo, the hobbit theme reaappears, for woodwinds and strings. [1:45]It shifts into the Pensive setting as Bilbo shows his nephew his book and the map of the Shire. [2:14]The Hymn setting momentarily, for a quiet moment between them, then.....[2:28]The Rivendell theme reappears as Sam prepares to go home.[2:48]The hobbit theme appears once more, for solo woodwind, before fading out....[3:26]

Lyrics: (used lyrics in bold)
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
Silivren penna míriel

O menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
O galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
Nef aer, sí nef aearon!
(the OST track, "Many Meetings", is identical to the Complete Recordings track, except for the first 18 seconds, which are left off)

ttbk
Last edited by TheTennisBallKid on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Thanks for starting the thread ttbk. :)

Many Meetings:

I really like this track. The arpeggios are quite neat and the Shire theme music used is nice and relaxing. Another plus is that this is one of the few pieces in my FotR piano book that's totally complete. :D I can play it on piano and have it match perfectly. That's pretty fun. :D

This was the first time I really thought about what the arpeggios were or what type of chord they were. It's interesting as they can't be pigeonholed into a specific type of chord. The first chord is A-C#-E-F. Without the F it would be a simple major chord, but the F messes it up. F isn't a part of the A Major scale. F# is. So the F could be either a diminished 6th or an augmented 5th. To me it makes most sense to look at it as an augmented 5th because A-C#-F would be an augmented chord. In a way, this arpeggio is two chords combined into one.

Whenever I play all four of the notes on the keyboard, my ear desperately wants that F to resolve down into the E. The arpeggio builds itself up to that F, but then the F forces it back down again. At least, that's how it feels to me.

This arpeggio has somewhat of a dreamy or otherworldly sound to me which is brought out even more by the harp glissandos in the background. I can't tell what chord or scale (if any) they are based on. A lot of time composers will use whole tone scales for harp glissandos when they want to convey a dreamy feel. Anyway, that dreamy or otherworldly sound is quite appropriate for Rivendell of course. ;) The cellos were an excellent instrument to use for the arpeggios as well. They are great for conveying a warm yet somber tone. Perfect for Rivendell in fall. :)

Well done to Magpie for figuring which words of A Elbereth Gilthoniel go with which notes on what beat. I couldn't do it. I couldn't hear it clearly enough, but when I followed along with what she wrote out, it seems to match up.

A bit more on the arpeggios: In the Rivendell Theme section at the bottom, Magpie goes into this long idea about the arpeggios representing the line of men of Elros. I don't know about that. It's a neat idea, but honestly I think she's going a bit far. I hardly doubt this ever crossed Shore's mind. Arpeggios are a widely used musical device because they sound nice. I listened to the snippet of the arpeggio that she talks about in the prologue and yes technically it sounds very much like the Rivendell arpeggio. Of course it would. An arpeggio is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th of a scale. The arpeggio used in the prologue is an a flat minor chord (Ab-Cb-Eb) with a normal 6th(E) added on top which without the 3rd(Cb) would make it an E Major 6/4(2nd inversion) chord. Anyway, my point is yes they are similar because it's the same musical device, but that does not mean anything more than that, in my humble opinion. To me what's she's doing is akin to someone overanalyzing a book. Sometimes there isn't a reason for something being used. It's just put there because it sounds/looks good and there isn't any ulterior motive.

On to the Shire music. This is probably my most favorite of the Shire music. The stuff in Concerning Hobbits is nice, but I tend to like melancholy music a bit more. Here Shore has taken the Shire Themes, slowed them down, taken the embellishments out of the melody and reduced notes played by the accompaniment. The accompaniment is still reminiscent of the lively Concerning Hobbits track, but it's much more subdued...it's like an echo of the past. Even the instruments used are more subdued. In Concerning Hobbits a type of wooden flute and fiddle are used. Here, we get strings and clarinet. It sounds like to me that the strings are keeping on their G and D strings instead of also utilizing their A and E strings. The A and E strings are a bit brighter. By keeping to the G and D strings to play all the notes, this causes the notes to sound much warmer. Also, the violas and cellos (and basses sometimes) are much more prominent which adds weight to the music. To me, the Shire stuff here sounds much heavier and that it represents all that weight on Frodo. Sure he's talking about the Shire and feeling better, but still all that has happened is still weighing on him, not to mention he misses the Shire so there's sadness there. Though the lower strings can also add a warmness which goes well with fondly remembering the Shire.

A very nice track altogether. :)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

:poke:

C'mon. I know there are other people who really enjoy the score. I know there are people who know about music...Prim, Voronwë, Tom, Sassy, Alatar...even if you don't know lots about music you can post your feelings.

:poke:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm still patiently waiting for the Return of the King discussion, since it is the only one that I know at all well.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

You could always listen to FotR and read the stuff on this page:

http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/main.htm

I don't think the point of this thread is to show off what we know. It's to discover, learn, and share.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't actually have the FOTR soundtrack. I'm doing plenty of discovering and learning, but I'm afraid I just don't have much to share.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I don't actually have the FOTR soundtrack.
:shock:
Voronwë the Faithful

:oops:
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Are you doing the score or the soundtrack? I have the latter but not the former. Not that I have much to add anyway, but I'd like to follow along if I can.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Glawariel

Post by Glawariel »

I would love to post here and am excited to do so. I definitely have plenty to say as I am a huge fan of the LotR soundtracks (I could probably write pages on each one) and it's nice to finally have a forum to do so (not to write pages obviously but to briefly share ;) ). I should just say that I am by no means a music expert just someone who really enjoys score music in general and the LotR in particular.
Sadly, I can't write a more detailed post now as I am about to leave for the airport. But I will have internet access where I'm going, so hopefully I'll be back in a bit.
Thanks for the opportunity! :)
Home is behind, the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow til the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade
All shall fade, all shall fade
Voronwë the Faithful

Glawariel, have a safe trip and I look forward to your comments (pages, if you wish :)).
TheTennisBallKid

Voronwë, beg, borrow, or steal, then click here. (or here, even) ;)

(I'm really, really looking forward to the ROTK discussion...)

Mossi wrote:Are you doing the score or the soundtrack? I have the latter but not the former.
Both, actually. (and, conceivably, you could follow along with the DVD...)
Not that I have much to add anyway
We'll just see about that! :poke: :P

(as Eru said, even your emotional reaction to the music is valid and will be welcomed...)

Glawariel, hello! And feel to write pages. I'd read them. :D
Eru wrote:A bit more on the arpeggios: In the Rivendell Theme section at the bottom, Magpie goes into this long idea about the arpeggios representing the line of men of Elros.
I think the arpeggios are significant, but not because of the line of Elros. (something not alluded to in the film)

My take on it: they're definitely part of the Rivendell theme; and are therefore representing Elrond's dealings with men...so yes, it has to do with the weakness with men, but not directly.

Have you checked the chords for the arpeggios in the later Rivendell scenes?

(and thank you for the musical analysis; partially over my head but I still enjoy it. :))

I'll probably move this along to the next section when I can...

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Glawariel

Post by Glawariel »

I would like to first comment on the soundtrack as a whole before commenting specifically on the FotR. But before I do, I just need to say WHOA! Ttbk-I’m just catching up on reading the various earlier threads of yours in these forums as well as the links you provided to TORC and B77 (which I’d never visited before) and I must say what you’ve done is tremendous and an excellent companion to the films. I totally think it’s publish-worthy. I just wanted to put that out there.

About the soundtrack as a whole, I think that what is so amazing about them, in addition to remarkable quality, is how well it is incorporated into the film. Even though the actual drama (in a general sense referring to what the actors lend to the film) is great, there’s only so much it can do. And for a story as rich as this one, so much more needs to be done to even come close to effectively presenting it in film form. After all, when it comes to trying to capture Tolkien’s outstanding creation plus our own imaginations, it takes more than just one primary method of cinematic storytelling-however strong it may be- to even come close. And while scenery (G-d bless the magnificence of New Zealand), costumes and props go a long way, it is the music that has the most potential to complement/reinforce the story being told. Shore’s soundtrack doesn’t just accompany that which is going on the screen, it actually communicates the story in its own magical way, the way only music can. To have the story being told through the music alongside the characters’ story accomplishes something that very few films ever manage to accomplish.

In fact, some of the best scenes, the most evocative, in each film- one of them being my favorite in the entire trilogy- include no dialogue at all. (My favorite- the beacons of Amon Din-doesn’t even have any characters at all. Although, scenery is its own character, particularly in LotR). And it’s not only about the score itself, but how it has been incorporated into the various scenes in the film. I’ve really never seen its equal on the big or small screen

[Whew! Sorry- clearly I’ve been needing to get that out of my system for a while…]

Now onto the FotR score. What I think is so great about it, is how successful it is (imho) in introducing and beginning to develop many of the trilogy’s primary themes. I thought (and still think) that the various themes for each character/group/culture/geographical location are spot on and merge together really nicely if and when it is necessary. Two of the best examples to me are (shoot, I don’t have the soundtrack in front me of so I may not get the exact names of the tracks right) 1. the Treason of Isengard-track 4 on the original soundtrack- which I think has one of the themes of the ring, the ‘journey’ theme (not sure what that is officially called), the introduction of the fellowship’s theme (more?) and 2. The Council of Elrond which has a variation of the Rivendell theme, the Hobbits theme (In Dreams), the Fellowship theme and the love theme between Aragorn and Arwen. But there are so many more examples.

That segues nicely into my next point. While I usually really like Enya, I was disappointed with the love theme- Aniron in the track the Council of Elrond (I know that we’re only at Many Meetings, but I thought that since it’ the next track it would be ok to mention it here). I thought their relationship needed a theme that was much, I don’t know the word….deeper? more profound? And I was surprised that it didn’t really surface again in future scenes between the 2 of them in the next films. Although, I’m not complaining because Evenstar and Tinúviel are much nicer.

One of my favorite pieces as it appears in the film is at the end of the Bridge of Khazâd Dum, but I’ll wait until the discussion gets there. This post has gone on long enough (sorry-its just so nice to talk about with a group of people that are as enthusiastic about the music as I am. I really am so grateful :cheerleader:)
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

<cue complete lack of musical knowledge>

I've always liked this track (from the OST). It feels very Elven, even though it's about the hobbits. It's got that really beautiful serenity, but also a tinge of deep sadness once you get into it. It's an interesting combination, I guess, like Rivendell. I first came to Rivendell in The Hobbit, so it was the Last Homely House and singing elves and all, but then you get to LOTR and find out that there's all this other stuff going on. The hobbit themes (well, at times) but it's played with instruments and dynamics that are very Elven -- so that reflects that the hobbits it's about are Elf Friends, and IIRC, Gildor says at one point that Frodo has a kind of Elvish air to him, no? So it seems very appropriate for this.
TheTennisBallKid wrote:We'll just see about that! :poke: :P
Now we have. And look who was right. :poke:
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Voronwë the Faithful

Glawariel wrote:This post has gone on long enough (sorry-its just so nice to talk about with a group of people that are as enthusiastic about the music as I am. I really am so grateful :cheerleader:)
Glawariel, its virtually impossible to write a post that is too long in the Hall of Fire. We :love: long posts. So let loose as much as you like.

We're grateful to have you here, too. :)
Glawariel

Post by Glawariel »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: Glawariel, its virtually impossible to write a post that is too long in the Hall of Fire. We :love: long posts. So let loose as much as you like.

We're grateful to have you here, too. :)
Thanks so much! :D
It's a good thing because I have a real propensity towards verbosity. A totally underappreciated art, if you ask me.
After all, none of us should really say anything unless it's worth taking a long. time. to say!
TheTennisBallKid

Glawariel wrote:I must say what you’ve done is tremendous and an excellent companion to the films. I totally think it’s publish-worthy. I just wanted to put that out there.
Thanks. :) I doubt I'll ever publish it, persay, but I do intend to eventually polish it up a bit and put it on its own website...

Your enthusiasm is endearing. :D
Mossy wrote:The hobbit themes (well, at times) but it's played with instruments and dynamics that are very Elven -- so that reflects that the hobbits it's about are Elf Friends, and IIRC, Gildor says at one point that Frodo has a kind of Elvish air to him, no? So it seems very appropriate for this.
You raise an interesting point here...the Rivendell theme has some mystical embellishments (the harps; chimes; etc.), but at the same time, its root here is much the same as the hobbit theme's; the warm string writing. And (Eru mentioned this), while the hobbits don't lose their musical identity, you don't hear their sprightly folk instruments....

I like you. Stick around. :poke:

OST: The Council of Elrond:
[0:00]Slow arrepegios as Arwen encourages Aragorn....[0:25]Anrion:
O môr henion i dhû: From darkness I understand the night
Ely siriar, êl síla. dreams flow, a star shines.
Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Ah! I desire Evenstar.
Tiro! l eria e môr. Look! A star rises out of the darkness.
I ‘lîr en êl luitha ‘úren. The song of the star enchants my heart.
Ai! Aníron... Ah! I desire....[2:11]
[2:15]Strings and brass slowly build into the Fellowship theme as Frodo accepts his task, then Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli pledge themselves to the quest.
[2:55]Solo flute plays the Shire theme as Sam rushes in...it moves into strings as Merry and Pippin also come out of hiding...
[3:18]Then, as they all stand assembled, the full orchestra launches into a complete and glorious statement of the Fellowship theme...[3:49]

The OST does a fair job of condensing thirteen minutes to four here; I probably wouldn't have included Anrion, preffering some of the more interesting thematic material from this section....the full statement of the Fellowship is a highlight worthy of inclusion though.

Further analysis below:
[DVD Chapters: "The Fate of the Ring"_"The Council of Elrond"]
CR:(Disc2:6-8)The Sword That Was Broken:
[0:00]Throbbing strings as Frodo's health is discussed, these lead into...[0:10]...terse brass repetitions of the Rivendell arrepegios, underscoring the arrival of the Council, and Elrond's misgivings about the state of Middle-Earth.[0:39]Two notes are held by the brass, leading into abbreivated variations on the arrepegio as Elrond laments the weakness of men.[1:03]A brass passage based on the harmonies of the Pity of Gollum theme[1] builds as Elrond tells Gandalf of Isildur's failure at Mount Doom.[1:53]The arrepegios return, weary, as they debate Aragorn's ability to lead men.[2:28]The Evil Times motive appears, with a solo for cor anglais, as Boromir meets Aragorn for the first time.[3:26]

Here, for the first time, we hear the arrepegios alone, without the melody, and they are tired....from 3,000 years of waiting for Sauron to be challenged again, no doubt....

The Pity of Gollum is referenced as Isildur claims the Ring for himself; the theme, while primarily connected with Gollum, is also used in a broader sense at times, reflecting the tragedy of the Ringbearers. (e.g.: it's used when Frodo or Bilbo are being "Gollumish")

The Evil Times motif makes its second appearance in the score here (the first being when Gandalf is atop Orthanc while Saruman takes down the trees); it's a variation on both the History of the Ring and Evil of the Ring/Sauron/Mordor themes used to depict the sufferings of those working towards the destruction of the Ring. Here, and in the next track, it foreshadows the doom that will befall Boromir.

The Council of Elrond Assembles:
[0:00]Slow arrepegios as Arwen encourages Aragorn........[0:25]Anrion:
O môr henion i dhû: From darkness I understand the night
Ely siriar, êl síla. dreams flow, a star shines.
Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Ah! I desire Evenstar.
Tiro! l eria e môr. Look! A star rises out of the darkness.
I ‘lîr en êl luitha ‘úren. The song of the star enchants my heart.
Ai! Aníron... Ah! I desire....[2:11]
Low bass rumbles as the Council begins....[2:39]The Evil of the Ring theme appears as Frodo places it on the plinth.[2:52]The Evil Times motif reaasserts itself as Boromir tells of his dream.[3:21]As he reaches for it, a rhaita snarls the History of the Ring theme.[3:29]He is warned away and a deep bass phrase leads to...[3:37]...the Descending Thirds, ominously accented by a gong, as Gandalf begins to recite the Ring Verse.[4:01]
Anrion was composed by Enya, and orchestrated by Shore.

I find "Anirion" underwhelming. Enya's ethereal dreaminess works fine in "May It Be" (I really don't mind the use of pop singers for the end credits), but in the score...to my ears it doesn't fit.

The Council opens with tense variations on the Mordor themes...

The Great Eye:
[0:00]As Boromir gives his speech, the Realm of Gondor theme is introduced by solo French horn. It turns darker as he, Aragorn, and Legolas debate the folly of using the Ring, and whether or not Gondor needs a king.[1:18]Low brass and strings reprise the theme as Gimli attempts to destroy the Ring by blunt force.[1:29]Elrond informs him that it must be taken to Mordor and cast into Mount Doom, The Descending Thirds appear...[1:37]A new theme, a variation on the Ringwraith theme, enters..[2:01] The music quiets.. One of you must do this.[2:13]Boromir counsels againts simply walking into Mordor; the characteristic low brass and strings throb...[2:37]...The Ringwraith/Power of Mordor theme build...[2:48]As chaos erupts, the Evil of the Ring, Descending Thirds, and Ringwraith/Power of Mordor themes play over each other. It all builds to a crescendo at...[3:20]....fragments of the Fellowship theme are heard as Frodo accepts the task.[3:40]Strings play the entire theme, then the brass joins as Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli pledge themselves to the mission.[4:19]Humming choir states the theme as Boromir joins.[4:40]As Sam scrambles up, the Shire theme appears for flute [4:50]Strings sweep Merry and Pippin into the Fellowship...it segues perfectly into the Fellowship theme...[5:00]which gathers itself into a triumphant, curtain closing statement to end the first act.[5:30]

The first of Shore's themes for Gondor, The Realm of Gondor, is introduced by a horn solo under Boromir's speech.. It is associated with Gondor, as a people, and the hope that the Return of the King will bring them. Here, it is played in a melancholy, but noble, setting. It is by the blood of my people that your lands are kept free...

Elrond's speech that outlines their goal (It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this.) marks the first appearance, in the film, of another piece of Mordor's thematic material. It's a closely related to the Ringwraith theme, and is used for them in ROTK (The Fields of the Pellenor; 1:47-2:53), but it is more generally used to represent the power of Mordor that the Wraiths are an extension of, the power that they must destroy. ( the opening choral explosion in The End of All Things ) It also appears in the unused version of the prologue music included on the FOTR OST. (The Prophecy; 1:28-2:10)

The influence of the Ring threatens to rip the Council apart, and The Evil of the Ring, The Power of Mordor, and one of Mordor's secondary accompaniment themes, the Descending Thirds, intertwine; a grim moment....

...but. Frodo accepts the task, and the Fellowship forms around him. It is not complete though, until the hobbits join; musically, they are the heart of the Fellowship, the opening of their theme fittingly makes up the begining of the Fellowship's second phrase. Once all the pieces are in place the theme grandly stated by the full orchestra, drawing the first half of the film to a close by presenting us with the core of the battle that is to come.

TTBK
*1: Doug Adams: LOTR Package Update?
Lyrics from Magpie's Nest