The Lord of the Rings Musical

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Thanks, Old Tom.

See, this is why I post uninformed opinions. There's always someone around to provide an informed correction! :)
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:There's always someone around to provide an informed correction!
My pleasure, good lady. :)

They didn't have electronic amplification back in the 18th and 19th centuries, so naturally they had to design performance halls to enhance sound. You'll note older churches and cathedrels have that classic dome shape in the area where the altar and pulpit are (the apse?) for the same reason.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Although I cannot speak for Germany, in most countries Opera is considered "Art" and is thus heavily subsidised by the government. Musicals are not considered "Art" (at least yet) and are thus unsubsidised. I very much doubt that any Opera is financially self-sustaining at $10 a ticket.

Whether tax-payers money should be used to support what an affected elite considers "worthwhile" at the expense of other entertainment is a discussion for another thread. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Alatar wrote:Although I cannot speak for Germany, in most countries Opera is considered "Art" and is thus heavily subsidised by the government. Musicals are not considered "Art" (at least yet) and are thus unsubsidised. I very much doubt that any Opera is financially self-sustaining at $10 a ticket.
That's the situation in Finland, for example; and a lot of people keep complaining about subsidising something that "is only enjoyed by a small elite". The ticket prices in the National Opera range from 14 to 95 euros at the moment, depending on the performance and the seat; without the government support, the prices would be several times higher.

Whereas, rock stars on tour have to pay themselves for everything.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The Lord of the Rings Musical

Post by Jude »

If you saw the LOTR musical in Toronto, the guy that played Gandalf, Brent Carver, is dead:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... 90?cmp=rss

No cause of death yet.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Lord of the Rings Musical

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."