Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Prayer Thread

Post by Primula Baggins »

They'll both be in my thoughts and prayers, Frelga.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Sending positive thoughts

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Prayers, thoughts, and all for my friend's husband, please. (This is my childhood BFF whom I've known since I was 9. I have been friends with her husband for over 24 years, too.)

He has been building a fence around their house. I've been watching the progress on FB and cheering him on. She just texted to say that he cut his hand on the table saw and is in surgery right now. They've already said it will be a partial amputation of at least one finger (maybe his thumb? maybe his index?). :( Small comfort is that it is on his non-dominant hand (left), but I know she'd appreciate the prayers for a very successful surgery (maybe more successful than they're predicting?) and all of that.

Thank you!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Of course, Lali. :hug: And they can do some amazing things in that kind of surgery now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thank you, and I know they can. I am not only praying in faith, but I'm also hoping in medical science.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

From my friend: Out of surgery. Thumb fracture and stitches. Left index finger had to be amputated about 1/2 inch from base. Not able to be reconstructed.

:'(
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm so sorry to hear that, Lali. I cut my fingers on a table saw around 15 years ago, but I was extraordinarily lucky. It sounds like your friend was less so.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So sorry to hear that they couldn't save the finger. :(
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Me too. Thanks, everyone.

(I'm glad yours wasn't as serious, Voronwë!)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Still, it's good they could save the thumb. He can learn to replace the index finger with the middle.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My coworker is being worked up for liver cancer. He's such a good guy, not that cancer cares. Please send a word Upstairs if you can.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I certainly will. :(
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:My coworker is being worked up for liver cancer. He's such a good guy, not that cancer cares. Please send a word Upstairs if you can.
Sorry, Frelga. Sending thoughts.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sending prayers, Frelga.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Crap. Results are still equivocal, but looks there's cancer. Crap, crap, crap.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ugh. :( I hate that!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Crap, yes, Frelga. And equivocal results? That's awful. That's just awful.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm sorry to hear this.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'm so sorry, Frelga. :(
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Please pray for my best friend's brother. He is the police officer in St. Louis who was shot in the face just a couple of hours ago. He is in surgery right now and will probably be okay, though I don't know how disfiguring this will be.

http://fox2now.com/2016/11/20/st-louis- ... -st-louis/

There is a possibility that I will be either driving her to St. Louis tonight or tomorrow.