Do we really exist?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Do we really exist?

Post by Alatar »

I guess this is a philosophical question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axw8AeNVS1c
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, it's certainly a mind-blowing thought.

I suppose that if I'm going to accept that I might merely exist as a thought in some "super being's mind" then I'll stick with thinking that being is God.

(Not to be flippant about it, but I have so few brain cells to spare these days...)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Ha! I don't care if I'm real or simulated. I FEEL real, so what difference does it make, anyway!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Variation on a theme. I've suspected something like this for years, so it's not that alien of a concept to me. I have a pragmatic approach- I act as though I and those around me are real. What other way is there that doesn't cause someone pain?

The idea that humans and increased computer capacity are responsible is new, though. I think it more likely that it's some sort of completely new sort of technology or process that is creating this reality.