The Whistler Gallery

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

My wife's sister lives in New Orleans. She's pretty poor, but she lives in an area where there are lots of rich people.

Her otherwise shabby apartment is furnished with fabulous antiques––lamps, ceramics, rugs and so forth––that the rich folks have left on the curb for the garbage collectors. She goes for a walk, pulls some treasure out of a pile and carries it home.

So yes, people do throw things out even when they're obviously valuable. The person may not have know what this was, but it probably wouldn't have made much difference.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I guess rich people in New Orleans are different from other rich people. Every "real" rich person I ever knew was tighter than a . . :shock: . . pretty tight. :D Mean, as they say in the Old Country.

And, people often do not know what they have. Ever watch the Antiques Roadshow? It's a hoot.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sometimes "I suppose I could sell this, but I just don't have the time" kicks in.

Of course, that's not when you pile it all in the trash; that's when you call St. Vincent de Paul and they send out a truck.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

My gallery has been relocated and redesigned. Please drop by when you can.

The link is in the sig below.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Look, I am never going to get any work done today. You and your galleries.

And I keep going back to look, well, stare at "Uptown After Hours."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

You should sell a ton of artwork based on your wittiness alone. :) You know, plus the fact that your art is fantastic.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The artist interview alone is worth easily ten times the price of admission.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

And ten times nothing is...

Let me get my calculator.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Alas, there is no outfoxing Whistler.

I regret the implied implication and abase myself.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Just buy something and all is forgiven.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The art is wonderful, but I do have a few quabbles with the site.

"Under Construction" pics on web sites, jumped the shark in the early 90's.

There is no convenient way to just purchase a piece of work without having to email, write or (heaven forbid) actually talk to a person.

I also found the interview somewhat lacking.
Heck there wasn't one tale of a lopped off earlobe or nary a word of panhandling and suffering in the gutters with Mary Queen of Rags.
Invent if you must, but people love tales of woe.

Is it possible to print on velvet?
Or Velveeta?
:clap:
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Yes, "Under Construction" is pretty tiresome, but I took the opportunity to turn it into a joke, as you'll see if you check the photo. And the fact is, I really do want people to know that I'm not quite finished.

Buying is tricky now, but that will be corrected. I have obtained the services of an artist's representative who is setting up her own website and will be negotiating prices, etc. The reason you can't just order a piece is because prices can range all over the map, depending on what you want. Most of my pictures are enormous to accommodate people who want huge pictures. But most people want smaller pictures, so you have to say what you want and let us figure it out.

No black velvet, but a Velveeta gallery is forthcoming.

I just posted a Hurricane Katrina picture, "Lower 9th Ward," in the City and Country gallery. Have a look, somebody.

No philistines, please.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Whistler wrote:I just posted a Hurricane Katrina picture, "Lower 9th Ward," in the City and Country gallery. Have a look, somebody.

No philistines, please.
Wow, that one has quite a van Goghian quality to it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Whistler wrote:I just posted a Hurricane Katrina picture, "Lower 9th Ward," in the City and Country gallery. Have a look, somebody.

No philistines, please.
Wow, that one has quite a van Goghian quality to it.
Yes it does. Quite wow.

Following the lines of Holby, couple of quibbles. When I first saw "under construction" on the home page, I thought there would be NOTHING on the website. Looked harder and found those links on the top....
Second, couldn't you put links to the pic when you talk about them? You mention a different image in your commentary on "Lower 9th Ward", but I have to go and look for it. Make it easy for your fans and buyers.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Philistine here, but I'll comment anyway to agree with Voronwë that the new painting has a van Gogh quality. The painting itself is striking and saddening.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Prim you are a philistine wanna be.

Us true philistinians actually suck the taste from art apprecianados.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Holbytla wrote:Us true philistinians actually suck the taste from art apprecianados.
And yet your sig pic belies your words :P .

Whistler, we are not well acquainted yet I want to express my appreciation of your work. It's wonderful! And the website is witty and welcoming and simple. When I'm more adequately financially endowed I hope I can buy one of the works - there are several I lust after. At the moment our house is a gallery dedicated to my husband's artwork - which is nice, but it's not Whistler.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

As pretty much a complete philistine, I do have a question. Is it insulting to artists to sell their works in smaller formats, e.g., a small print (5x7) or even something like a greeting card? While I would love to be able to afford a nice, big piece of artwork I wanted, I simply can't. I can afford things $30 or less, though (without having to think twice about it).

???
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Mahima:

I'm working from a template provided by a service called Artspan. I picked them because when you run a Google search for "contemporary art gallery" they're number one among 25,000,000 links.

Anyway, the downside is that the site can be customized only to a certain degree. I'd love to create that link, and I will see if I can. But the "Under Construction" sign (which is gone now) does mean something! Your suggestion is appreciated, and I'll make it happen if possible.

Prim and V-Man:
I literally have enough material for 100 of those pictures, but I don't want to paint them and no sensible person would buy them! But thanks for your remarks.

Holby:
It's "we" philistines.

Impenitent:
Many thanks for your kind words. If you want something, I'll make sure you can get it.

Lalaith:
I'm prepared to be good and insulted for the right price! My work is designed to work at a variety of sizes, anyway. And as I told Impenitent, I'll be sure you get a picture if you really want it. At this early stage I'm being very flexible.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I've just spent quite a while browsing your gallery and chuckling at your commentaries. :D

There were quite a few works I'd certainly buy if I had some excess money (and a few more walls to put pictures on... :roll: ).
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu