General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Hi-res version:
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image ... 341600.jpg

Is it just me (and someone at TORN), or does Bifur have an axehead embedded in his forehead?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There even seems to be some blood! What is with that? :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I honestly can't tell what's going on with his forehead. It's very odd looking. :scratch:

In a more positive note, I love Bofur's facial hair and hair necklace and will now endeavor to match his style. :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I think you mean Bombur. I'm sure we will be getting a lot of that type of thing over the next few years.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:There even seems to be some blood! What is with that? :scratch:
Apparently he got whomped with a throwing axe and they couldn't get it out, so they just broke the handle off and left it there.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The folly of youth! Although it would take 20 or 30 years even for a Dwarf to grow something like that. (You do mean Bombur, right?)

But that is very odd, that forehead thing. :scratch:

I've decided I kind of like Bofur's roguish smile.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oops, yes, I meant Bombur. I like him. I'm kinda chuckling just looking at him, but in a good way. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the gang so far (thanks to Pipe Dream at TORN):

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170 ... egang2.jpg

If that is accurate, Kili is a head taller than some of the others. Not liking that at all.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Kili's less than a head taller than the shortest other Dwarf in the picture, Bofur. That much variation, and more, is common in humans, even in any ordinary group of human men or women; why would it be wrong for Dwarves? My grandmother didn't even stand as tall as my shoulder; I'm not as tall as the shoulder of my best friend's son.

The range of height of adult Hobbits, 2 to 4 feet according to Tolkien, is even more extreme. Why should Dwarves all be the same height?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Now that's more like it - working-class dwarves!!! :rofl: We can see where the humour's going to come from with ths lot...and that ladle DEFINITELY looks like it's been photoshopped in! I wonder if someone's having a joke on us with these staged shots? ;)

ETA: here's another, even better group photo courtesy of RichieRich on TORn. He's lightened it so the colours show up better, and the figures are in a different arrangement so that actually Kili blends in a bit better. Still think his look is wrong, though...

http://i51.tinypic.com/v63zfk.jpg
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Now see, Bombur's cast-iron ladle/spoon thing worries me much more than Kili's appearance. It has "cringe-worthy slapstick humor" written all over it.
"Spoon!"
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Humor like "Bombur had grown so fat that he couldn't walk to the kitchen table and had to be carried by six dwarves"? ;) Honestly, that bit in LotR is as low as any Gimli joke in the movies.

Perhaps Bombur will be the group's cook? It would make sense...
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:If that is accurate, Kili is a head taller than some of the others. Not liking that at all.
Is the actor a head taller than the others? If not, they just Photoshopped it wrong.
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:ETA: here's another, even better group photo courtesy of RichieRich on TORn. He's lightened it so the colours show up better, and the figures are in a different arrangement so that actually Kili blends in a bit better. Still think his look is wrong, though...

http://i51.tinypic.com/v63zfk.jpg
That's much better!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So who's left to be revealed? It's terribly lazy of me not to figure it out for myself, but I have no shame.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Dwalin, Balin, and Thorin. I'm guessing it'll be the first two today and Thorin tomorrow. They might start on the non-dwarves after that, but probably not immediately.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Makes sense. I knew Thorin was still to come and figured him for the last big reveal.

I think they were smart to start with the Dwarves, two or three at a time. We gee— uhh, extremely interested people have been able to really absorb the differences among them.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Hopefully they will also release a good group photo once all 13 have been revealed.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, we finally have a hi-res photo of Fili and Kili...

Fili looks great but we can clearly see that Kili has no beard, merely the Aragorn designer stubble, I'm afraid. :nono:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Does Fili have the right half of his mustache stuck in his coat or something? That looks painful!