Deletion discussion

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

yovargas wrote:Yeah, Eru...that was one of those "silently nods" kinda posts that can unfortunately kill a conversation by being too agreeable and well-put. :P
I see. :P
Dave_LF wrote:Donut be alarmed, fellow Earthlings. I, the davelf, are fine. Please to resume going about you're businesses.
:rofl:
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Dave_LF wrote:Donut be alarmed, fellow Earthlings. I, the davelf, are fine. Please to resume going about you're businesses.

*releases a white dove in celebration*
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<meep meep moop>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

anthriel wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2VmohG_Pk
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Weird... my brain keeps insisting that davelf is pronounced Dav Elf. :scratch:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, is that what I think it is? :D

<goes to play video>

:rofl: Nope! But that was funny too!

I had this in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBW2z0NZ5zA
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Alatar wrote:
anthriel wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2VmohG_Pk

Oh, Al. :love: Please don't tell Mrs. Alatar, but Itotallyloveyou. ;)

Primula Baggins wrote:<meep meep moop>
Oh, Prim :love: Please don't tell Mr. Prim, but Itotallyloveyou too. :)

THIS was exactly what I was thinking of when I posted that rather cryptic comment. THIS SCENE. RIGHT HERE. From a kinda old, super campy, goofy, hysterically silly movie that I love. A movie that many, if not most people have never even heard of. A movie that takes a... certain kind of person to really enjoy. ("Well, we still have two out of the three branches of government, and that ain't bad".)

Okay, so I don't fight right, and I (used to! It's in the past!) tend to delete posts, but I AM in a place where I am surrounded by people who recognize oblique references to Mars Attacks.

I'm home. :love:
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Maria wrote:Weird... my brain keeps insisting that davelf is pronounced Dav Elf. :scratch:
You mean...it's not? :rofl:
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I read it the same way! :rofl:
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

"the" sets you up to expect a noun like elf. But a person's name does not provide the resolution you desire. See, funny!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Dave_LF wrote:But a person's name does not provide the resolution you desire. See, funny!
This sounds like a fortune cookie fortune*.

*It is still not as brilliant as the fortune I got recently, though:

Your problem just got bigger. Think, what have you done.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Lalaith wrote: *It is still not as brilliant as the fortune I got recently, though:

:shock: :rofl:
Last edited by Griffon64 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

axordil wrote:That's the flip side of the memorial quality of online text (about which I agree). What if you build it and they don't come? If you're having a conversation at a party with someone, and they're interrupted and have to excuse themselves, you see it happen, and you can move on, get a drink, and edge into another conversation. Online, conversations often...stop. There's no way to differentiate between someone being pulled away by work, someone getting upset and someone subject to something like this: :abducted:
This is mainly in reply to Eru's comment a page ago, but thought it might also be a continuation of ax's post (above):

Back when I was running the Job study thread in TE, replies were not always forthcoming, at least not as much as I hoped they would be. What I started doing was taking note of the view counter before and after making a new post... it was gratifying to see a significant jump in views after each post, even when there were few if any replies.

This kind of goes back to something (Narya?) said early in this thread : (paraphrasing here) sometimes the way a post is constructed, or because its content satisfies all that needs to be said on a given point, it is okay if there are no replies. In any event, as I think Di pointed out, since we don't, or shouldn't read minds, a lack of replies, or deleted/utterly edited replies, are best left unquestioned.
Last edited by SirDennis on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Thank you, everybody, for this thread! It is helping me understand my cyberbrothers and cybersisters who are Post Deleters a little better. :)

I am a historian by nature, so deleted posts make me unhappy and uncomfortable, NOT because of anything interpersonal or emotional, but just because I don't like the historical record being erased. I prefer amendments and footnotes to deletions! Deleted posts remind me of the old maps of Berlin we used in East Germany back when East Germany existed: big old BLANK SPOT in the middle to represent the unmentionable West Berlin. What kind of map is that?

Anyway, I see how many different attitudes there are among us to this issue, and it is enlightening!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Lalaith wrote:
At lunch recently, with a new boss and co-workers, my fortune cookie said:

"You are smarter than everyone around you."

I refused to read it out loud, so someone kindly did it for me. Yeah, that went over well... :shock:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, SirD, as my kids would say: Awkward! :D

Probably it was true, of course. But why'd the fortune cookie have to out you so ruthlessly?
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

SirD, that is a good one! :)

Teremia, I am like you--an historian at heart. It makes me cringe sometimes to read things I've written in the past, but it's part of who I am (or was).

I delete things that I think might hurt someone else. Beyond that I don't like to erase my past thoughts. (My best friend was encouraging me to delete some things I'd written about past relationships, but I couldn't do it. I don't read over them often and reopen old wounds. However, I want them to be there in case I need to remember how it all went down. I tend to forget. :( )

But I definitely understand why others do so. I especially understand the pre-posting, self-editing issue. That's the major one I am "guilty" of.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And some of us just obliviously blab out whatever silly thing pops into their head. :wooper:
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

And some of us are very grateful that you do. :)

Teremia wrote:Thank you, everybody, for this thread! It is helping me understand my cyberbrothers and cybersisters who are Post Deleters a little better. :)

I am a historian by nature, so deleted posts make me unhappy and uncomfortable, NOT because of anything interpersonal or emotional, but just because I don't like the historical record being erased. I prefer amendments and footnotes to deletions! Deleted posts remind me of the old maps of Berlin we used in East Germany back when East Germany existed: big old BLANK SPOT in the middle to represent the unmentionable West Berlin. What kind of map is that?

Anyway, I see how many different attitudes there are among us to this issue, and it is enlightening!

It has been an enlightening, although admittedly for me a slightly painful, thread. I really did have no idea that my (past! it's in the past!) habit was making (some) people so unhappy... jeez, that is sort of the opposite of my actual desire, when I post. I have learned something very important from the input of people I admire and respect.

I'm going to roll the words "dishonest" and "passive-aggressive" around in my head for a while (yes, I know those words weren't lobbed directly at me, but certainly at a group I used to! belong to), but I will accept that that is the way some of my online buddies thought of my previous! habits. It is amazing how many ways something as simple as posting-- or editing or unposting-- on a messageboard can affect people.

Frelga, no need to respond back to me... I'm good. I think I am pickin' up what you were puttin' down. :)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I hate it worst when my own posts are deleted. Then I feel horribly ashamed that I said something bad and wrong, plus the added bonus of feeling appalled and frightened that I can't remember much of what I had said. :shock:

I used to think my brain had just adapted to messageboard use and that anything I wrote or read online didn't really need the details recorded in MY brain- because I could always go get the info from the board. Now I know better. My brain is full of holes and data falls through easily. Something has to be tagged as very important in order to be saved in the safest places.

I hope. :help:

Actually, what I really hope is that memory is a non-local phenomenon and the hardware of my brain really has very little to do with personality. Which is probably a vain hope considering how much various hormone levels affect my personality every day. Whatever. (Cortisol is running low today.) :neutral:

(And that last paragraph almost got predeleted for the same reasons I've said before. I'm hitting "submit" anyway! :P )