Book 1, Chap. 4: A Short Cut to Mushrooms

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elentári wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote: Sure, though it depends where you are and what sort of establishment it is. During my 2-year stint in southern England, the bacon I got for breakfast at my favorite hole in the wall was essentially American/ Canadian style. Though by default, they wouldn't cook it crispy unless you requested it.
Hey, PtB, what part of southern England were you in? Anywhere near my neck of the woods?

Most greasy joe's over here will fry the bacon and use the fat to fry the eggs afterwards. I do mine under the grill, but the bacon goes in the pan with the mushrooms and tomatoes, and the sausages go on the rack over it!

Here's a good article, anyway, on the differences:

A Guide to Bacon Styles, and How to Make Proper British Rashers
Depends on where you are! I lived in Abingdon, near Oxford.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Not far enough south for me - I'm right on the Sussex coast!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

I love the Sussex coast, and spend time on a road-trip there. Durdle Door, Lizard Peninsula, etc...

Had I known you then, it would have been a great excuse to visit!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ah...that's the Dorset coast, actually, I'm further east -but yes, it would have been cool! :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Oops. I am a few counties off, ain't I? :oops:

I blame it on my pre-Norman conception of England, and my unjustified grouping of Sussex and Wessex together.

After all, it's all just in the south, innit? :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah, and we're all related to the Queen...and speak with either an RP or Cockney accent :roll:
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Exactly! :)

Though I do maintain that the trolls speak with a West Country accent in the book, and not a comic Cockney...
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

Oh, to have an insider's ear on the British Isles! How rich all of this must be to you, in ways we from outside can never (well, hardly ever) know.