The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
CosmicBob

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by CosmicBob »

I saw the Captain America movie. It was entertaining, but nothing like the first Avengers or the first Thor movie.

And I'm still mystified why Ant-Man is a character in these movies. Why pick Ant-Man of all things Marvel they could choose from? My personal choice would have been She-Hulk (Sensational, not Savage).
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

CosmicBob wrote:Why pick Ant-Man of all things Marvel they could choose from?
Cuz he's funny and weird and unique? Haven't seen his movie but his powers are the kind of crazy weird fun stuff I want to see on a big screen. We already have more than enough "punch you really hard" heroes. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Ant Man movie is great fun. Sort of Guardians or the Galaxy fare.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I complained that the Ant-Man was not madcap enough, but the character fit perfectly in the Civil War movie.

Meanwhile, in what appears to be the dumbest writing decision in the history of writing, Marvel's new Captain America: Steve Rogers comic came with a plot twist - Cap is actually a Hydra agent and has been all along. This does not affect the MCU directly, where Cap's next stop will probably be The Infinity Wars, but... :nono:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yuck. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, people are losing their sh1t over that. As a longtime comic artist said "1st story of an arc people..." Lets just say, it may not turn out to be true.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well.... Marvel did say that it was Rogers, not a double, mind control, or any other comic book devices normally used to make characters do OOC things without breaking them. Even if there is a "but it turns out" twist, it's still a very stupid decision.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well.... Marvel did say that it was Rogers, not a double, mind control, or any other comic book devices normally used to make characters do OOC things without breaking them. Even if there is a "but it turns out" twist, it's still a very stupid decision.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I shall withhold judgement till I see how it plays out. You're talking about it, so mission accomplished for Marvel!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, there's talking and talking. Good talking is, say, Red Wedding. Fans are shocked, horrified, and can't wait to find out what happened next. I'm sure some noped out of the books because it got too intense (I noped out a book or two later but for other reasons) but overall, while fans felt the writer was a monster, they felt for the characters.

Bad talking is when it's all about how the writer's (publisher's?) decision is on the scale of stupid to insulting to revolting. The most positive responses are like yours - that this is probably what not it seems like, which is another way of saying that it is stupid.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I disagree. :)
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I also think it's a staggeringly dumb idea. New creators on old properties seem to want to make drastic changes to give their own "interpretation" of the classic character. Some times it works, like Miller's the Dark Knight (though that was an alternate history) or Perez' Wonder Woman. And sometimes it doesn't, like in this one, or Alan Moore's Mxyzptlk becoming a psychotic killer in the Superman comics. It's going to take a lot of convoluted ret-conning to fit this in to the actual history of the Captain America comics, which go back to the 1940s.

They want shock value and take that for "genius". I generally disagree with it.

Continuity in comic books is overrated in my opinion. I don't require that something Superman said back in 1944 be consistent with what he says now.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

My thoughts on HydraCap :)
13310332_1160845413946984_9033219370550051748_n.jpg
13310332_1160845413946984_9033219370550051748_n.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

And a very interesting article on the rise of fandom entitlement.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/30/fandom-is-broken
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I guess other people in your part of the world are also confused about Captain America ;)

Twitter blames Captain America for the 'dreadful' new 'Top Gear' reboot
Reviews and viewers blasted the apparent lack of chemistry between the hosts, with the Daily Mail saying it was "like watching a Top Gear tribute band performing one of those unfunny celebrity sketches on Comic Relief."

But Twitter users' vitriol toward the show and host Chris Evans was largely directed at the wrong target — @ChrisEvans, the actor starring in the latest Captain America blockbuster [instead of @achrisevans, the Twitter account of the actual host].

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hah! He must be confused!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Watching Spectre. So. Much. Talking.
Occasionally, it looked like a Marvel movie, but no such luck.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl: Language warning.

The potato has an Irish accent! :rotfl: What in the world is this movie?! I just heard about it today.

It is just not right.

(I'm putting this here because I didn't think it needed a separate thread; obviously, I haven't seen it yet.)
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, just have to get this off my chest. Summer TV sucks, which is why I wound up watching TCM last night.

For some reason, I never saw a lot of the earlier John Wayne movies. Maybe when I was a kid, they just didn't show stuff like that on Saturday mornings due to the violence. We got Roy Rogers (who always portrayed native Americans in a positive light, as he had some native blood) and The Lone Ranger. Tonto may have been a pretty horrible stereotype, but at least he was played by a REAL Indian (from Ontario's Six Nations ) and was one of the good guys.

Anyway, I tuned in just in time to hear the hosts do an introduction to The Searchers. They finished their glowing review by saying it was considered by some to be the best Western ever made.

Hmmm...Are wee taking about the same movie here?

I first saw it as an adult, and was shocked by the blatant racism. The natives were all bad guys without a single redeeming trait. They weren't even given names. They were played by white men in heavy makeup, and you knew they were going to appear on screen when the music changed to that stereotypical heavy, dramatic 2-beat drum music.

I gave it a try, because I wanted to figure out what was so 'great' about this movie. I also wanted to see the ending again, where Wayne's character finally meets the girl he has been searching for for so long. I seemed to recall there was something in those scenes that finally portrayed the Comanches in a more positive light.

Sorry. I couldn't make it that far. There was just one too many blatant, racist half-baked statements by Wayne about what an Indian would or wouldn't do.

Well, it saved me having to watch that horrible scene where Wayne is advised to kill his niece, and then he's shown two young white girls who have been prisoners of the Indians for a number of years. They are portrayed in the most horrible light possible, as having become something sub-human. Even Tarzan (raised by giant apes) is portrayed in a much better light than these young women!

The TCM reviewers mentioned several film makers who said they'd been influenced by The Searchers. I wonder if the director of Little Big Man was one of them, and did the film to show a truer, much more positive picture of a young man captured by a Plains tribe?

Sadly, Little Big Man was one of the first movies to ever show native Americans in a positive light. I really wish Chief Dan George HAD won that Best Supporting Actor Oscar he was nominated for!

Okay, end of rant. But I am STILL scratching my head over why The Searchers is so highly regarded! :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.