GREETINGS to our Newest Members!

Greetings, and a guided tour for new members.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: GREETINGS to our Newest Members!

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mae govannen, indeed! You are most welcome at the Hall of Fire.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Welcome to Oragaher!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Welcome to the Hall of Fire, Oragaher! I hope you will find some interesting conversations and join in!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Welcome to imwithgenius! :rotfl: Yes, you are, my friend. Yes, you are.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Welcome to Corycraven81! I apologize for the delay in activation; I blame the holidays. I hope you'll look around and find some conversations you'd like to join!
Voronwë the Faithful

Welcome to Badshah. I guess my question to you is whether there is a good shah?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Very good question, Voronwë! And Badshah, you're very welcome. I hope you'll join the conversation!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

It means High King or Master King, V. Higher than just a "shah".

Welcome Badshah!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So is Worseshah better than Badshah?

Welcome!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I just think it's cool someone here could interpret the name. <hugs Inanna>
Voronwë the Faithful

That's pretty cool!
Voronwë the Faithful

A big welcome to Finarphin. I particularly appreciate the old school spelling of the name. I hope that you will jump in and share your wisdom.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Welcome, Finarphin!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Welcome, Coffetoons, to the Hall of Fire! I hope you'll join right in.
Voronwë the Faithful

Welcome to Turumarth!
Turumarth

Post by Turumarth »

Thank you for the welcome. I don't see a thread for self-introductions, so I would like to introduce myself a bit here, if I may. I am originally from California [love those giant Sequoias!], which I consider to be my native land (rather than the USA) but I have been living in Japan for a number of years now. I grew up in a family heavily into Tolkien. What brought me to this forum is the fact that my primary way of enjoying the works of JRRT is by reading and re-reading various passages from HoME and dreaming of what a "Reconstructed" Silmarillion might be like. I have not, however, read Arda Reconstructed as of yet. And although I would like to read it, I'm afraid that I suspect I might disagree with some of its conclusions even if I indeed greatly sympathize with the aspiration and both respect and admire the toil that went into the work.

One further thing that I like about this forum: I appreciate the fact that courtesy is a requirement for interactions here. However, I arrive to find that many of the really interesting discussions in which I would perhaps have something to say have been mostly inactive for quite some time. On the other hand, there are discussions of contemporary events that I might be able to enter. It greatly dismays me that a singularly discourteous and morally bankrupt individual who may perhaps even be delusional has been invested with the highest office of the United States and I worry that he may end up leading the whole world even quicker towards self-destruction than it already seemed to be headed. Actually, my views on the predicament of the world correspond rather closely with those of the distinguished Prof. Jared Diamond.

Again, thank you for the welcome. :toast:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Good to meet you, Turumarth. While most of the active posters here are in America, I'm also outside the USA, in Australia.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

Mae govannen, Turumarth! I am very happy that you have found your way to our little community. I hope that you get a chance to read Arda Reconstructed at some point, but even before then, I would love to hear your thoughts about what a reconstructed Silmarillion might look like. You should also feel free to comment in any thread of interest to you, no matter how old the discussion is. I for one would be very interested in your thoughts about any of them, particularly the Tolkien related discussion. I am also very glad that you value courtesy; in these dark times we need all of the courtesy and respect that all people of good heart can generate.

I look forward to getting to know you more in the future!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Welcome, Turumarth! I hope you jump into any discussion that appeals to you, old or new.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Welcome, Turumarth! It is good to see a new face round these parts, particular one who is looking for thoughtful and courteous discussion. I hope you feel comfortable joining in and livening up our little board. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists