The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Inanna »

I checked for that note too! Cuz I bought a few of hers last month.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Kindle version of Orson Scott Card's Lost Boys is just $1 today. https://t.co/vtjf5a82i8

Via @KinjaDeals
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Bought. Sounds scary, though.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VZJ4YYS

Lord of the Rings on the Kindle 8.97 today, which Kinja says is good?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Already Own it on kindle - but might be a good gift to my nephew
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The Kindle edition of Beren and Lúthien is $2.99 at Amazon today.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Le Guin's nonfiction book, Steering the Craft, is 2.99 on Kindle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T2414SC

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thank you!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thank you.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So today The Hobbit is available on Kindle for $2.99, if you don't yet have it:

Link

So is "The Wild Girls" (with bonus material), a Nebula award–winning novella by Ursula Le Guin:
Newly revised and presented here in book form for the first time, this Nebula Award-winning story tells of two captive "dirt children" in a society of sword and silk, whose determination to find a glimpse of justice leads to a violent and loving end. Also included is the nonfiction essay "Staying Awake While We Read" which demolishes the pretensions of corporate publishing and the basic assumptions of capitalism, and "Outspoken Author Interview," which reveals the hidden dimensions of America's best-known sci-fi author.
Link
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you!

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Usula K. Le Guin's last essay collection, No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters, is $2.99 on Kindle today.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

There's an Amelia Peabody book, The Deeds of the Disturber, on sale for $1.99 at Amazon today.

Link
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ooh! Thank you.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Color of Magic, Pratchett's first Discworld book, is 1.99 on Kindle today as part of the Start a New Series sale.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Gasp!!

(Runs off to buy and gift)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So, there are two excellent books, both first in a series, available for $1.99 on Kindle today.

The first is Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie. I'll just post a description from iTunes here:
Winner of the Hugo, Nebula, British Science Fiction, Locus and Arthur C. Clarke Awards. On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy.Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance.
It's her first novel, and book 1 of a trilogy, all three of which were acclaimed. They're a challenging read, but I enjoyed them. The idea of a single consciousness in multiple bodies, and what happens when she's suddenly limited to just one, is interesting but part of the challenge, as is the fact that in this future culture, the default pronoun is "she" and it's applied to people of any gender. Despite this, it's a brilliant piece of SF, and the main character is fascinating and ultimately very likable.

The other one I'll put in its own post.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The book I most want to persuade people to try is The Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett. It's the first in the Lymond Chronicles, a series of six long, complex historical novels, set in the time between the death of Henry VIII and the accession of Elizabeth I. They're the story of a Scotsman named Francis Crawford of Lymond, who as the story begins is an outlaw, and the thread throughout is his long battle to clear his name. They were first published between 1961 and 1975, but they aren't dated at all. They're sharply written, deeply researched, and filled with real people from history who come alive on the page—ranging from Nostradamus to Mary Queen of Scots, who is four in the first book. One thing I find remarkable about them is the rich variety of female characters, heroes and villains, who are as vital to the story as Lymond himself.

I'll be honest and admit that it took me a couple of tries to get all the way through the first book, but by then I was hooked and burned through the rest. My mother and brother had already read them and kept saying, "But you have to read these!" They were always essential books in our family, right up there with Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin novels (of which there are 22, but it's really one long novel. . . ).

They're gorgeously written—wonderful for a story that travels over six books from Scotland, to Paris during the reign of Henri II, to Malta, to the court of Suleiman the Magnificent, and to Muscovy during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. Then back to England. But it's not a history lesson. It's a story that veers from comedy, to suspense, to piercing tragedy, and back. I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone willing to undertake it. And today, you can dip in your toe for $1.99. . . .
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I second Prim's recommendation.

I had no difficulty at all getting through the first book, though it took a while before Ltmond had my full loyalty.

I went on to The House Of Niccolo, which is a prequel series although it was written after the Lymond books, which was equally gripping.