Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Alatar »

This just reminded me of the "Holby is a serial killer living in a trailer park" dream...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Why are there videos of Giuliani impersonating a woman? I'd like to know the context.

Edited for typo.
Last edited by Frelga on Sun May 06, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

He's done it multiple times (cross-dressing/drag/female impersonator.) I'd say maybe he enjoys it.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I had a dream a few weeks back where I was an advisor to Donald Trump and spent all my time trying to advice him, but he wouldn't listen to me.

This happened the night after I had a puffy Cheeto craving and ate entirely too many out of a party size bag.

True story.

Túrin Turambar - your dream sounds like it has some Futurama in it.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

You poor thing.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So you dreamed you were Elon Musk? ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This headline is just so 2018.

Hatch to McCain: Invite Trump to your funeral

McCain was reported as saying he wanted Pence but not Trump at his funeral.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I subscribe to Dictionary.com and get a 'word of the day' email. I have noticed the words chosen are often topical. Today's word:
suborn
[suh-bawrn]
verb
1.to bribe or induce (someone) unlawfully or secretly to perform some misdeed or to commit a crime.
2. Law. a. to induce (a person, especially a witness) to give false testimony. b. to obtain (false testimony) from a witness.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

When you've moved too far to the right for the Koch Brothers.

NPR
Breaking With Trump's GOP, Koch Brothers Praise Democrats On Immigration https://t.co/0D7C590Rvz

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The Koch's have always been Never Trumpers.

Immigrants are generally good for cheap Koch labor.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Bill Gates describes interesting encounters with Trump
Gates also said he discussed science with Trump on two separate occasions, where he says the President questioned him on the difference between HIV and HPV.

"Both times he wanted to know if there was a difference between HIV and HPV so I was able to explain that those are rarely confused with each other," Gates said.
:shock:
Taking audience questions about his interactions with Trump at a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation meeting, the former Microsoft honcho said he first met Trump in December 2016. He told the audience that Trump had previously come across his daughter, Jennifer, at a horse show in Florida.

"And then about 20 minutes later he flew in on a helicopter to the same place," Gates said, according to video of the event broadcast by MSNBC late Thursday. "So clearly he had been driven away but he wanted to make a grand entrance in a helicopter.

"Anyway, so when I first talked to him, it was actually kind of scary how much he knew about my daughter's appearance. Melinda (Gates' wife) didn't like that too well."
:salmon:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:roll: Yeah, Trump knew more about young Ms. Gates appearance than he did about policy, vaccines, HPV vs HIV, among other things. Gates also spoke rather humorously about Trump's habit of speaking in the 3rd person. I've always thought that was a huge red flag for mental/personality issues.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

RoseMorninStar wrote::roll: Yeah, Trump knew more about young Ms. Gates appearance than he did about policy, vaccines, HPV vs HIV, among other things. Gates also spoke rather humorously about Trump's habit of speaking in the 3rd person. I've always thought that was a huge red flag for mental/personality issues.
Túrin Turambar agrees with that.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:
Túrin Turambar agrees with that.
:D
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

We are not amused.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Voronwë is amused.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The HIV/HPV thing is so absurd I find it hard to believe. If it was coming from someone at all less credible than Bill Gates.... good lord.....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yeah, um, here's the ELI5 version: HPV causes rough little lumps called warts to appear on your body. Sometimes, it also causes a more serious disease called cancer. HIV causes a very bad disease called AIDS that can't be cured. There's a shot for HPV. There's no shot for HIV.

Now is that so hard?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Although an important distinction (HIV vs HPV), his confusion/poor grasp of important issues is a pattern I find more concerning. He gets countries mixed up (and doesn't seem to care/mind that he mixes them up). Countries like North and South Korea. He doesn't seem to care that he doesn't understand what agencies do or how they work or that he has not been elected King and that the agencies are not there to serve him personally. That is fairly evident in the way he has treated Jeff Sessions, James Comey, etc... I find the whole thing exhausting. The presidency is a job that requires someone with quality control skills and attention to detail. He is very sloppy and careless.

Case in point, he welcomed the First Lady Melanie home. Did he get another wife?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I mean, wouldn't be the first time.