The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Maria »

Well, our disinterest was probably exacerbated by the fact that we've been re-watching Buffy lately, and it was really a chore to sit through the dreariness that was the first hour of the Blade Runner sequel. When we both admitted we weren't enjoying it, we decided to take a break, went back to Buffy, season 2, the "Halloween" episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. :love:

We might get back to Blade Runner 2049. Maybe. I kept thinking through most of the part we watched that the humans could save themselves a whole lot of trouble and make the robots non-humanoid. You don't need a human form for most tasks. Then the whole "they look like us, are they really humans?" angst would be avoided. Then I'd get to feeling guilty about discriminating about non humanoid intelligences. And I'd think about Star Trek NG and Data and his fight to get recognized as a sentient being- and how I never, ever wondered at the time why Data got so much support in his fight to be recognized and the extremely smart ship, The Enterprise, didn't. Because the ship wasn't even close to humanoid. But it was very intelligent. So, why didn't anyone stand up for its rights as a sentient being? Just because it wasn't humanoid?

And then my attention would get dragged back to the screen and I'd see the brutal murder of an old model replicant. It was just depressing. And I kept getting distracted by the protagonists eyes. If you are going to hire a guy to play a robot, why not get someone whose eyes are the same size and placed at the same level on his face? That was just weird.

And then another creepy replicant murder.

Ick. That's when we dropped out.

Was it really good, Alatar?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I thought so, yes. But I didn't overthink it if I'm honest. I just sat back and let it wash over me. Its not serious sci-fi, its more like art.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Usually I can lose myself in a show like that. But my mind kept jumping and skipping about and being generally dissatisfied with the situation.

The violence in "Altered Carbon" didn't bother me at all, in contrast.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The Death of Stalin

I found it very entertaining, but this is really one of those films where different tastes will lead to wildly different reactions. I was apprehensive about seeing it for fear of a jarring slapstick making light of Stalinism, but the very diverse elements somehow came together for me.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We saw Ready Player One on a giant ultramax movie screen this weekend. It was great! It was also significantly different from the book, but the changes made sense and didn't hurt the story at all. This is the first book to movie adaptation I've seen that I thoroughly approve of. :)

We watched it with my son and daughter in law, who are avid online gamers. Apparently the movie was sprinkled with gaming references that my husband and I didn't get, because I kept hearing giggles from the two of them. And they hadn't read the book, and weren't already fans- so it was cool that they liked it too. :)

So, yeah, we drove a total of 4 hours back and forth to see a movie. Totally worth it! It really does play well on a giant screen. :)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Just came out from The Death of Stalin.

Brilliant! Worthy of Monty Python.

Black, black, black comedy, but really, how else to treat this period of history but as farce. The alternative - to treat it with the level of seriousness it deserves would make it too harrowing.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Finally got to see Black Panther!

Things I loved about it:

T'Challa's snarky, scary smart sister. Her flipping him off near the start of the movie made me fall in love with her instantly!

Andy Serkis does a great job as the bad guy. He and Martin Freeman were both excellent as the Tolkien white guys in the movie... (sorry, couldn't resist...that is SUCH a good joke!) :rofl:

The other antagonists T'Challa faces are people who are not 100% evil. Even the other 'bad guy' is someone the audience can relate to and have sympathy for (unlike Serkis's character, who is deliciously and beyond redemption eeevil.)

The women warriors, and they way they are done. Yes, they are nice to look at, but not presented as eye candy for the male audience. They also remain unfailingly loyal to the King.

The solution presented at the end of the movie - to change things, not by might, and force, but at the grass roots level. When was the last time a super hero movie presented THAT as a solution??

Oh, and I do love Stan Lee's little cameos in the Marvel movies. They always give me a good chuckle! :love:

Beefs? You could aim some of the usual criticisms at it that are common to all superhero movies, but even T'Challa's solution for winning the Big Battle between the two bad-ass invulnerable superheros is unique. And yeah, the fact he started his program to help other Blacks in the United States and not Africa could come under criticism, but I saw it as a way of honouring his cousin, who was born in that country, and wanted to bring change, too.

There. I think managed to do that without doing anything too spoiler-y! I would definitely give the movie an A, if not an A+ !
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I watched the 2011 Conan the Barbarian. Or most of it - I did chores through some of it a star slept through some more. As much as I like young Arnie, Jason Momoa is better. But sheesh, you can't make an 80s movie in 2011 and make it be *less* progressive and imaginative. Waste of a good actor.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Chappaquiddick

Very solid film, and a great performance by the usually low-profile Jason Clarke in the lead role. It’s a good example of how to present to this sort of historical drama in way that’s engaging and entertaining without becoming ponderous, bogged down in detail, or whipping through events like a slideshow.

I understand the narrative is broadly correct, but I don’t know how accurate the film is overall. Some Ted Kennedy biographers have said the film casts the senator in too negative a light and glosses over his genuine remorse over Mary Jo Kopechne’s death. I’d like to know how real it is, but I’m also aware that many of the events of that night will never be known. Still, while John Curran’s Ted Kennedy isn’t all that sympathetic, he comes across as very believable and understandable – he sort-of serves as both the protagonist and antagonist of the film, which is an interesting approach and one I’d like to see done more often.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Gorgeous little Irish movie. Great comedy with a lot of heart. You may need subtitles for the Cork accents though!

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Looks like such fun! When I really concentrate, I get past the accent, so I'm sure I'll settle into it easy in the cinema. Ima share this with my son! I'm sure he'll see it with me.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Impenitent wrote:Looks like such fun! When I really concentrate, I get past the accent, so I'm sure I'll settle into it easy in the cinema. Ima share this with my son! I'm sure he'll see it with me.

It's already on Netflix Impy, in Ireland anyway.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Really?! I'll check and put it on my list if it is.

Last night my boy finally talked me into Thor Ragnarok. Was funny! and I really enjoy seeing movies with him.

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

https://youtu.be/FB1KTG-O1V0

This gave me goosebumps.

Andy Serkis' directorial debut, and it also has Cumberbatch and Cate Blanchett!
I'm glad it seems to be going along the tone of the book. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ah, so they renamed it "Mowgli" and delayed it to distinguish it from the other Jungle Book movie. Smart move. That is one that I definitely will want to go see.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

It looks like it would break my heart.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I truly wish Serkis the best of luck but to me that trailer looks like a lower budget knock off of the (quite enjoyable) Disney one. I know it's not but that's what it looks like.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The trailer reminded me of the 1994 Jungle Book movie. But really, why does everything need a "dark retelling"?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I have so much respect for the guy, I would be interested in anything he directed. In interviews he’s intelligent, focused, and funny. (And he should by God be the first actor nominated for a motion-capture performance. Everyone else is standing on his shoulders. Except he keeps climbing back to the top of the pile again. :) )
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The Jungle Book book is a lot darker than the Disnified version (just as most of Grimm's Fairy Tales are a lot darker than the Disnified versions). A darker cinematic retelling of the story is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."