Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: MCU and You (the Keep Frelga off Tumblr thread)

Post by Alatar »

One little niggle in the Ant Man and Wasp movie. While I know its skewed much more to the comedy than realism, I hate that they don't allow for the fact that a matchbox sized car won't travel at the same speed as a full size one. Looks great though. ;)

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:One little niggle in the Ant Man and Wasp movie. While I know its skewed much more to the comedy than realism, I hate that they don't allow for the fact that a matchbox sized car won't travel at the same speed as a full size one. Looks great though. ;)
Of the bajillion rules of physics that movie completely ignores, that's the one that bothers you? Image

Wasp was a entertaining and pleasant enough but in terms of the sheer volume of "wait, that doesn't make any sense..." moments, it's easily the dumbest movie in all the MCU. (I also think the whole "we can literally control ants for some reason" thing is just really lame. :roll: )
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yep! I'm happy with the rest. Like I said, I'm the sort of person who really wants to enjoy movies, so I'm willing to cut a lot of slack. Apart from everything else, I grew up when superheros were a bodybuilder in green paint and a campy guy in tights. Complaining about the quality of the MCU is like complaining your chocolate has too much cocoa beans in it. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think the ability to tolerate comic book science is a prerequisite to enjoying comic book movies. Otherwise you'll start asking where Hulk gets the extra mass and how vibranium works, exactly.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:Yep! I'm happy with the rest. Like I said, I'm the sort of person who really wants to enjoy movies, so I'm willing to cut a lot of slack. Apart from everything else, I grew up when superheros were a bodybuilder in green paint and a campy guy in tights. Complaining about the quality of the MCU is like complaining your chocolate has too much cocoa beans in it. :)
Sure, I'm just wondering why fast-tiny-cars would stand out to you among all the other physics-breaking in that movie.

Frelga wrote:I think the ability to tolerate comic book science is a prerequisite to enjoying comic book movies. Otherwise you'll start asking where Hulk gets the extra mass and how vibranium works, exactly.
For me it's not so much about it making "sense". But with any story with fantastical elements, I want there to be at least somewhat consistent rules. If you go too far into "this story has unrealistic elements, therefore anything goes" territory, the story suffers. Like, you have to tell me what a superhero can and can't do, and then stick to that. If you don't and it starts to feel like the hero can do whatever the story happens to need them to do at that moment, it's gonna feel pretty cheap and lame. I felt that vibranium definitely suffered from that "it does whatever we need" syndrome. Tony's suit and it's extremely poorly defined set of seemingly random powers do too, IMO. Not that that kind of stuff will ruin everything, but the stories would be better if they tried a little harder for some clearer rules and better consistency.
Last edited by yovargas on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I must admit I DO have a hard time with the seemingly magical abilities of Cap's vibranium shield. Like its ability to cushion his fall when he jumps from the elevator in Winter Soldier. Also during the gun fight with the Winter Soldier, he's using the shield to protect himself from machine gun fire from several guns. Amazing how the shield seems to protect his WHOLE BODY, in spite of it not being large enough to cover him completely! :roll:

But yeah, it's a movie, a comic book movie...

Hey, remember how entertained we were by cartoons as kids, where the hero is standing on the villain's foot, and punches him, and the villain's entire body stretches to totally unrealistic proportions? I remember a Popeye cartoon where he has a dog that's searching for something by scent, and the dog's nose actually detaches itself and goes off on its own!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

yovargas wrote:I'm just wondering why fast-tiny-cars would stand out to you among all the other physics-breaking in that movie.
Cause that one doesn't follow their own internal Physics constraints. The enlarging Salt Cellar and Pez dispenser continue with their momentum scaled. Everything else follows the same rule, except the cars. Their speed doesn't scale with their size like everything else does.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

What about those flying ants? Chasing vehicles and whatnot. Those things really bug me. (Pun very much intended.)
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That guy is good at that. :D
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So, I just saw the captain America in the elevator scene. My reaction: meh. I guess that’s why I don’t see many of these even though I enjoy the basic story, the sense of humor (Deadpool!) and the sci-fi quirks. The action scene after action scene is just not my thing.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

JUST the elevator scene?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s what you linked to above, no?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, right. :D I was about to post how The First Avenger works better if you are already invested in the character when I realized that I missed an important clause in your post. :blackeye:

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Haven't you got that backwards, Frelga? The other Captain America and Avengers movies work better if you've become invested in the character by watching Captain America: The First Avenger.

Because then you understand the irony of that scene with Cap and Agent Hill, when she talks about the Twins volunteering for Strucker's experiments...

And you understand his character SO much better!
Dr. Abraham Erskine: Schmidt [Red Skull] must become that superior man.
Steve Rogers: Did it make him stronger?
Dr. Abraham Erskine: Yeah. But, there were other effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside. So, good becomes great. Bad becomes worse. This is why you were chosen. Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion.
Steve Rogers: Thanks. I think.
Dr. Abraham Erskine: [he pours 2 drinks] Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man.
[Steve holds up his glass to toast]
Steve Rogers: To the little guys.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, watched Civil War on Sunday, and will watch it again and comment. Have been anxious to see what Space has planned for NEXT Sunday, so I fast forwarded through the TV listings to see.

BLEARGH! They are re-running the Sharknado movies. All SIX of the. And multiple times too, throughout the week! [HEAD:DESK]

Well, at least the titles of the movies show they don't take themselves seriously:

Sharknado
Sharknado: The Second One
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell NO!
Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens :roll:
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming
Sharknado 6: The Last One (It's About Time)

Despite the cutesy titles, I have NO intention of watching them. I caught a few minutes of one of them when I fell asleep watching something else, and was too drowsy to change channels when I woke up; and um, NO THANKS!

[sigh] Couldn't they screen one of the Marvel movies I HAVEN'T seen? Too much to ask? Was Ragnarok REALLY that bad? :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

TIL about a 1997 movie Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. with David Hasselhoff as Fury.

It was, apparently, as bad as it sounds.
tumblr_pb74uokpbo1snghrzo1_640.jpg
tumblr_pb74uokpbo1snghrzo1_640.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 7326 times

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

There's also a 1990 American-Yugoslav version of Captain America which is famous (or infamous) among enthusiasts for terrible movies. On Youtube it's the subject of a Chris Stuckman hilariosity review, a commentary by Good Bad or Bad Bad, and an episode of Fanboyflicks Bad Movies show.

ETA: Actually, there's also a terrible Captain America movie from 1979, and I've got them confused. Poor guy - two terrible adaptations in a row.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Travesty! What's the point on collaborating with Yugoslavia on a movie if Gojko Mitić isn't in it.

But seriously, this is why the MCU is so remarkable - it brought the genre from campy nonsense like the above to something worthy of class acts like Robert Redford.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hm, is it true that we can now post off photobucket again?

This is my actual favorite action moment in the MCU