TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Impenitent »

If you can, watch The City in The City.
Four-part British production based on the sci-fi book of the same name.
Complex plot, gripping, gritty, political. Mix of thriller/whodunnit/intrigue.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to watch The Purge, but they just ran an ad that for the first 20 seconds I thought was a real political ad.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Just finished binging Dr. Who season 10. :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hey! Me too!

Whadja think?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:Hey! Me too!

Whadja think?

Well, I'm going to be very honest - I loved every minute. :D
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I avoided it for a long time because I'm contrarian, but Bojack Horseman is actually really good. Depressing as hell, but good.

Takes it half a season to get there, though.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has anyone seen Runaways? It's a Marvel show, apparently unrelated to the MCU, about teenagers who find out that their parents are not what they had thought, and also they have superpowers. I saw the pilot, and it seemed OK, but I didn't keep watching.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It was pretty good, but its been cancelled.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

BBC AMERICA GREENLIGHTS ORIGINAL SCRIPTED SERIES THE WATCH https://t.co/4SE6Grt5ra
I'm not sure if the all-cap tweet indicates excitement or hints that Death will be involved.

elengil

Post by elengil »

I am feeling confused and disoriented at Dr. Who for making me feel a twinge of sympathy for spiders. How dare!
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:
BBC AMERICA GREENLIGHTS ORIGINAL SCRIPTED SERIES THE WATCH https://t.co/4SE6Grt5ra
I'm not sure if the all-cap tweet indicates excitement or hints that Death will be involved.
It will be pretty awesome if it was supposed because of Death.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

La Casa de Papel.... I am totally obsessed.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

"The House of Paper" - is this a Spanish version of House of Cards?
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

No, I think the English title is Money Heist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQYvQIrM1FY

I watched in Spanish, with Spanish subtitles, switching to German (subtitles) whenever necessary. I am/was/ want to be totally hooked. The Spanish they speak - omg so quick, so full of colloquial, such a pleasure, Until the very last minute of the very last episode, you do not know how it will end.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Just binged Forever on Prime. (Also Tidying Up on Netflix, which was good, but I liked the book too.) Anyway, Forever was quite good! It's quirky and odd, as you'd expect with Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph, but it was also surprisingly insightful, poignant, funny, intriguing, and haunting.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I don't normally binge, but watch S1 of Travelers in the last couple of weeks. Clever, intelligent sci-fi that doesn't try too hard to be accessible and just expects you to keep up.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I think I saw Travelers on Netflix but was a little leery. Sounds like it might be a good watch, though!

Me and honey watched several episodes of Lucifer this weekend while I was busy sewing and he was busy being lazy (for a welcome change!). It was much funnier than I thought it would be, though some of that may have been watching honey's reactions. :D
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its starts off a little like Sliders or Quantum Leap, but moves on very quickly! I'll say no more for fear of spoilers.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We've been watching "Teen Wolf" on Amazon Prime for the past few weeks. It's pretty good. Mostly we were just pleased to finally find a way to watch Amazon stuff in high def. The default (which we couldn't find a way to change for years) pixelates so much we couldn't read facial expressions.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Tom and I are bingeing old old Doctor Who—we started watching at the beginning of the Tom Baker years and still have several seasons to go. We subscribe to Britbox through Amazon Prime largely because they have ALL the old Who, in addition to various gardening and house-buying shows that we really enjoy because they are so much more relaxed and fun than the American versions.

We first saw Doctor Who back in the early '80s when we were living in Los Angeles—Tom was in grad school, I worked. The local PBS station showed a complete show of Doctor Who (four to six half-hour episodes) every Saturday afternoon. We had a very early VCR and recorded them so we could watch them together (Tom was in the lab 7 days a week, of course). It was one of our secret pleasures. During pledge weeks, the people breaking into the show to beg for money were always going on about how weird it was and how, by association, so was anyone who enjoyed it, so we should pony up so they knew SOMEONE was interested. Somehow it kept going.

So now we're seeing them as originally broadcast in the UK, in 23- to 25-minute episodes with four or six making up a complete story. The quality is much better than what we saw in L.A. (we were watching on a 10-inch color CRT television!), and it's fun to just tuck one or two of the episodes into an evening as the mood strikes us (or more if the Doctor and, at present, Romana are in truly terrible jeopardy).

Yes, the effects are mostly primitive, and it's not as well-put-together as the modern Who, which we also like a lot. But there's a feeling to it. Comfort food for the brain. With some actual thrills and chills and laughs mixed in. The writing can be excellent.

They say your first Doctor is always likely to be your favorite, and in this case I agree. Tom Baker can be over-the-top goofy, but he does menace and rage pretty well, too. And the stories can be seriously dark and sinister.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King