The Whistler Gallery, NEW and Gluten Free

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: The Whistler Gallery, NEW and Gluten Free

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I like that one. Too many people pride themselves on speaking their mind and forget to develop a mind worth speaking.
Ugh, so true. It's right up there with "my uninformed opinions are as valid as your scientific facts."
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
The Only Whistler

Post by The Only Whistler »

And plenty of people with facts are still delusional. Stupidity is without prejudice, happy to embrace one and all.
Visit my fashionable gallery at vanevanfuller.com, home of the bottomless cup o' coffee.
The Only Whistler

Picasso
Attachments
Portrait-of-Picasso-copy.jpg
Portrait-of-Picasso-copy.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
Visit my fashionable gallery at vanevanfuller.com, home of the bottomless cup o' coffee.
The Only Whistler

Look At Me
Attachments
Look-At-Me-copy.jpg
Look-At-Me-copy.jpg (194.53 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:
The Only Whistler wrote:I had a number of male nudes, but nobody seemed to care for them. It was very strange.
As a gay male and an art lover, I have noticed this very, very often. It displeases me. :nono:
As a straight female and an art appreciator, I have likewise noticed this. I confess, I don't mind so much. But that might be socialized appreciation of the female form more than anything.
Hidden text.
Men are nice, of course, but... not entirely... attractive.
:whistle:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
The Only Whistler

There's also the fact that a woman, even nude, can still retain some measure of modesty. A man must either be carefully posed or covered in some way, or the average viewer (and I am trying to sell these pictures, you know) becomes uncomfortable and looks away. After a while, this concern becomes tiresome.

Has anybody noticed that I'm posting art here? Should I make the pictures larger?
elengil

Post by elengil »

The Only Whistler wrote:There's also the fact that a woman, even nude, can still retain some measure of modesty. A man must either be carefully posed or covered in some way, or the average viewer (and I am trying to sell these pictures, you know) becomes uncomfortable and looks away. After a while, this concern becomes tiresome.

Has anybody noticed that I'm posting art here? Should I make the pictures larger?
Wait, are these your paintings?? I think I was under the impression that you were just sharing random pictures you liked. You did these?? :shock: They're wonderful!
was a 2020 planner.

The Only Whistler

Yes, everything is mine. And there are 1,500 more at my website at http://www.vanevanfuller.com

And every one of them can be yours—yes, yours!
elengil

Post by elengil »

The Only Whistler wrote:Yes, everything is mine. And there are 1,500 more at my website at http://www.vanevanfuller.com

And every one of them can be yours—yes, yours!
Ooh! *enthralled* Tell me more!
was a 2020 planner.

The Only Whistler

It's all at the website. The images are painted digitally (I've been working digitally since 1995) and are transferred, on order, to paper or canvas. If a price is too much, it can be adjusted by making a few changes in the printing specs.

The images are called giclees, which is a format that most modern artists are utilizing. They're waterproof and fade-resistant for 100 years, after which time you won't care.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:As a straight female and an art appreciator, I have likewise noticed this. I confess, I don't mind so much. But that might be socialized appreciation of the female form more than anything
I do think it's socialized. I'm not sure how far I can generalize this (Western society?) but we are conditioned to see female bodies as decorative in a way that we aren't with men. Greeks and Romans made gorgeous male nudes, floppy bits and all. As did their Renaissance imitators. As a fellow straight female, I find David or Doryphoros of Polykleitos a deal more interesting than female statuary. Or The Sleep of Endymion, if you want a painting.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
The Only Whistler

Bad Chihuahua Cheap Tequila

The first round is on me.
Attachments
Bad-Chihuahua-copy.jpg
Bad-Chihuahua-copy.jpg (200.03 KiB) Viewed 8653 times
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I do think it's socialized. I'm not sure how far I can generalize this (Western society?) but we are conditioned to see female bodies as decorative in a way that we aren't with men.
Point. I don't necessarily dislike male nudes, I just don't appreciate them as maybe I should. I prefer landscapes, anyway lol (as my pic attests to) :)
was a 2020 planner.

The Only Whistler

You want landscapes? I got landscapes.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You got virtually everything!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
The Only Whistler

And if you order within the next ten minutes, you'll also get Hits Of the Seventies on 8-track tape.
elengil

Post by elengil »

The Only Whistler wrote:You want landscapes? I got landscapes.
LOL I am currently admiring your English Cottage :)
was a 2020 planner.

The Only Whistler

Yes, digital watercolor. Simulates the medium very well.
The Only Whistler

Picnic In the Emerald Forest
Attachments
Picnic-In-the-Emerald-Forest-copy.jpg
Picnic-In-the-Emerald-Forest-copy.jpg (201.29 KiB) Viewed 8617 times
elengil

Post by elengil »

Oh, that is a lovely picture there. Though the eyes disturb me slightly. Maybe that was intended?

May I ask what process and or tools you use for these?
was a 2020 planner.