The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Lalaith »

Is that on Netflix, too? It looks intriguing.

I liked Bird Box, though I did have to read the spoilers when it started to get too intense for me. (It's not something I enjoy—being on the edge of my seat for an entire movie.) I was curious if anyone had the read the book and if that offered more of an explanation for...things.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Isn’t Arrival the alien language movie?

I liked that one. A lot.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Since I've now seen three people talking about Bird Box I had to go watch it myself. What the actual... :shock:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

It did leave me with a lot of questions.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I still haven't seen A Quiet Place (it just sounds unbearable for me), so Bird Box may also be more than I can stand. I partly need to know that the outcome was at least somewhat OK.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We finally figured out how to get Amazon Prime in high def, so we've started watching movies from there now.
"Alpha Gateway" was kind of interesting. And disturbing.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Huh. The Hellboy trailer doesn't look half bad for what it's supposed to be.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Another Hellboy movie? I am so behind. I wish I could take a month off and just watch movies.

My husband has expressed a similar inclination.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

We saw Cold War this evening.
Trailer: https://youtu.be/BvPkDdFeTk8

Polish production, with English subtitles.

Set in Poland and USSR in the 1950's, focusing on the relationship between singer/performer Zula and pianist/composer Wictor.

Filmed in black and white with beautiful production values, gorgeous score, excellent performances. Script is tight and bleak and very evocative of the period. A really good film which angered me by a kind of nihilistic European-cold-war-noir attitude to love which made it apposite to pain. To me there was a Heathcliff and Kathy self-centredness to the central characters, revolving around a sadistic-flavoured commitment to each other while oblivious to the effect of their actions on others. I didn't like them, though they were compelling and charismatic.

A love story, but too nihilistic for me to accept it.

I recommend the film.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The Oscars Best Picture nominees have been announced! Which ones have you seen?

Best Picture
Black Panther - SAW IT
BlakkKlansman - SAW IT
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite - SAW IT
Green Book - SAW IT
Roma - SAW IT
A Star is Born
Vice
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Of the ones you saw, yov, what’s your pick?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Best Picture
Black Panther - SAW IT
BlakkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody - SAW IT
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Vice

Of the two I saw, BoRhap, but then I'm a huge Queen fan so...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I only saw Black Panther, which I think is one more nominated movie than last year.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Primula Baggins wrote:Of the ones you saw, yov, what’s your pick?
The Favourite by a huge margin. And unlike a lot of these kinds of high falutin' art movies, it's a really entertaining, wickedly funny movie. It's the (apparently mostly true) story of two women trying to get into the inner circles of the slightly buffonish Queen Anne and as you might expect from a good period piece about women conniving for position, it's filled with lots of hilariously cutting snark. Soooo much great, quotable dialogue. I think you might like it!
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga wrote:I only saw Black Panther, which I think is one more nominated movie than last year.
Me too.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

yovargas wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote:Of the ones you saw, yov, what’s your pick?
The Favourite by a huge margin. And unlike a lot of these kinds of high falutin' art movies, it's a really entertaining, wickedly funny movie. It's the (apparently mostly true) story of two women trying to get into the inner circles of the slightly buffonish Queen Anne and as you might expect from a good period piece about women conniving for position, it's filled with lots of hilariously cutting snark. Soooo much great, quotable dialogue. I think you might like it!
Definitely planning to see The Favourite. Fabulous reviews including yours, big Oscar nominations, and it covers a period of history that interests me, but in a waaaay different style than, say, the BBC’s The First Churchills (1965)....
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It was a pretty weak year in movies, IMO. The only other of the nominees that I think is worthy of any special recognition is the gorgeous Roma. All the others (that I saw) are just decent, mostly averageish movies.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Roma is streaming on Netflix!

Honestly, although I like both, these days I'm more excited about TV shows than movies. That ~2-hour time limit on movies really limits the storytelling. As someone who likes novels better than short stories, I prefer the medium that can do justice to a novel (or tell a story as complex and absorbing as a good novel).
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Totally get that! Though honestly I've been feeling more and more like a lot of TV shows are stretching five hours of story to fifteen hours of TV which is getting rather tedious....
Last edited by yovargas on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Bo Rhap is the only one of the list I've seen. Intending to see Roma, The Favourite and Green Book, but my intentions don't always translate to action (so I have to acknowledge the fivethirtyeight quiz got that right).

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.