fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by elengil »

Primula Baggins wrote:Elengil, all of those are wonderful. I so respect and honor your talents! I learned to sew but never loved it; learned a little about drawing but stopped; played music and loved it, in orchestras, but lost the opportunity. Writing is all I’ve kept, and it’s not creating something you can hold in your hand—except for the few lucky times I’ve gotten something published.

You seem like someone who surrounds herself with beauty she created. I admire that so very much. :love:
I love to sew but (despite appearances) I never really learned it! Mostly self-taught as an adult. I never grew up sewing or knitting or anything like that. I know there are so many bad habits I have just because I don't really know any other way. I actually prefer hand sewing because I feel I have so much more control over what I'm doing, though . Of course the machine goes so much faster, but isn't nearly as enjoyable.

But thank you so much for your kind words! I like to think I am spending more time doing more productive things I love than time just fiddled away. <3
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yikes! She must drink a lot of coffee. How long would all that take?

It’s beautiful, really. I especially like the girl sitting on a tree branch in the stairwell.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Wow! I wouldn't have one in my house, but encountering one in a public place would be interesting.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's a photo of Sir Patrick Stewart knitting in his PJs
IMG_20190318_092901.jpeg
IMG_20190318_092901.jpeg (111.62 KiB) Viewed 11105 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil

Post by elengil »

That is amazingly inspiring!
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, I think I'll print it and pin it to my project bag. :D

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Make it so! :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What’s in your project bag?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:Make it so! :D
Make it... sew? :rotfl:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:What’s in your project bag?
A semi-shawl, if I can finish the last three or so rows.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

They are Santa jimjams!
* bursts with the cute *

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:D

Did I post this already?
Attachments
Make it sewjpg.jpg
Make it sewjpg.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 11060 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't remember seeing it. :D :D

elengil

Post by elengil »

I have been making things for other people for a while and decided it was time to make some for myself. Besides, I am trying to keep myself busy/distracted today (I'm fasting).

So this is what I've been doing~

The round lid goes to my large sewing kit, and the box ... I'm not sure what I'm going to use the box for just yet. Maybe holding my calligraphy supplies. :)
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Is that paint?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:Is that paint?
Acrylics, yeah. I did the sketch in pencil, went over that in a fine point pen, then painted, then touched up the outline as needed.
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The lines are so perfect, I almost thought it was a stick on decal! But I knew you wouldn't be decorating with something like that.

Congratulations! That really turned out well.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:The lines are so perfect, I almost thought it was a stick on decal! But I knew you wouldn't be decorating with something like that.

Congratulations! That really turned out well.
:gladhug: Aw!

I used some drafting tools to get the grid drawn on the one, used a template to draw the extend of the red/black circle on the other and the curved lines between the red and black segments, then had to hand-sketch in the offsets on either side for the inner white circle and the outer knotwork extents.

Everything else was hand sketched (which is why I started in pencil! LOL)
was a 2020 planner.