The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Inanna »

Prim, I just started reading JK Nemisin(sp?). Holy cow, that woman can write!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

NK Jemisin! Yes, she can write! :shock: What are you reading?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oops. Man, I’m growing old.

Just started Broken Earth 1.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

What would be a good book of hers to start with?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I couldn't get into "A Broken Earth". My husband bailed out after two chapters and I only made it a few more than that. I just didn't like it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That trilogy blew me away, the whole thing. But I could understand not getting into it; it’s sad, in a lot of places.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Were you listening to it, Maria or reading it?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

listening
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I can see how the "you" chapters would not work well while listening. She has a really different tone in those chapters - it threw me off too. As in, it surprised, and intrigued me.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

She is just brilliant. She takes huge risks and they pay off. The payoff at the end of the first book, when you suddenly see ... well... yeah. It’s ... awesome.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Yeah, it was the "you" part that got to me. Irritating beyond belief. It doesn't last, though? Maybe I'll give that book another try one of these days.

That probably isn't so annoying in non-audible format. As it was, having the narrator say out loud that "you" were doing such and such was distracting and ... well... irritating. Every time the narrator said "you" I'd grit my teeth and think "NO, idiot, that's NOT me." And, "What kind of writing style is this?" and "Why did they think this was a good way to present a story?" and finally, "Why am I forcing myself to listen to this? I could be re-listening to something I actually enjoy."

I love audiobooks because they let me do something with my hands while still taking in a story. Some stories, however, just aren't suited to the format. The first one I abandoned years ago due to format issues was a Mercedes Lackey book (don't remember which one) but it started with presumably present day, and jumped right into a flashback... and then a flashback within the flashback. In visual format, you can delineate that with italics or paragraph indents. With an audiobook that just got too confusing too fast.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can see why that would be annoying in audio, Maria.

But there’s a reason for the “you” that is really interesting when you suddenly get it.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Jude, I just started reading her, and started with Broken Earth 1. It’s got me hooked, so it’s a good one to start with.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Thanks! I just reserved it.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I bought it.

It’s all Prim’s and Imp’s fault.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I like the trilogy because it's fantasy, but it's told in such a realistic way, and involves so many interesting aspects of geology that correspond to our world, that it feels like SF to me.

And then there's the Hugos for all three books, which has never happened before for a trilogy. In successive years, which has also not happened before for a single author. There's a reason.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Finished the 3rd Binti book last night. Why aren't there more?? I want more! :rage:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Amazon is running a promotion "Read the World", giving nine Kindle Books from around the world for free.
they look really cool.

https://amzn.to/2HRKtjv
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you Inanna! I took all but two (true crime from Norway, and first person story of ISIS radicalization - sounded too real and depressing).

Typed on a tiny phone keyboard on Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.