Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Trump's America

Post by yovargas »

Faramond wrote:https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wi ... ats-again/

There is really no truth to the idea that the electoral college will consistently favor Republicans.
If that's true I'm actually glad to hear it. It means if the roles are ever reversed and a Democrat loses the popular vote but wins the election, maybe we can get some bipartisan agreement that the electoral college is stupid and get rid of it. Doubtful but maybe.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:oops: I guess I should actually click on a link before commenting on it. :oops:

You are quite right, Faramond. These votes in Colorado and New Mexico were contingent on enough states to reach the 270 electoral vote threshold. I did not understand that from the post, and I didn't click on the NPR link to read the story.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There is really no truth to the idea that the electoral college will consistently favor Republicans.
That's not exactly what Silver says in the linked article. At most, he says there is no certainty. Meanwhile, two most recent Republican candidates became Presidents despite losing popular vote.

But even if the advantage swings to the other party, it doesn't change the fact that the current system is vulnerable to manipulation in a few well-chosen regions.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Alatar wrote:Well, in many countries, people vote for parties and parties elect their own leader. Trump could never have been elected in Ireland for example. It just couldn't happen.
My knee-jerk response is to say that makes a lot of sense. Of course, the UK is busy shooting itself in the foot (or maybe head) too.

But, it's worth pointing out, one could argue the problem there was that a critical, complex issue was put up to be voted on by a general population that didn't really understand it.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm not as big a detractor of the electoral college as some. I don't blame it for Trump's victory so much as sexism, a poorly run campaign by Clinton and her team, Russian interference and Comey being forced by FBI insurgents in the New York office to announce that they were reopening the investigation into Clinton's emails, a most uninformed and apathetic public, and sexism. And did I mention sexism?
I would like to add to this list the 600,000 votes suppressed in three swing states, which Trump won by narrow margins. Take the sexism, the poorly run campaign, Russian interference and the Comey incident, and Clinton still would have won had that voter suppression not taken place. It irks me that there is so much focus on what I see as more minor influences while the humongous elephant in the middle of the room is continually ignored. Partisan officials have oversight of the election process in this country. Madness.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yovargas wrote:

If that's true I'm actually glad to hear it. It means if the roles are ever reversed and a Democrat loses the popular vote but wins the election, maybe we can get some bipartisan agreement that the electoral college is stupid and get rid of it. Doubtful but maybe.
I don't believe for a moment that Republicans would sit still and allow the results to stand if the roles were reversed.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Interesting show of who's in charge.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nort ... SKCN1QF0E3
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/stat ... 4463763457

Fox News Chief White House correspondent
In nearly 10 years covering the @WhiteHouse, having been on Presidential trips to more than 100 countries, I have never seen the White House Press Corps kicked out of our unilateral press/broadcast center by request of a foreign leader.

For example, in Buenos Aires, we were in the same hotel as French President @EmanuelMacaron and there was zero problem. Kim comes to Hanoi and we get evicted from space we had bought and paid for just because he is in the same hotel.
PS: He linked to a parody account for the French President, by accident I'm sure
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I don't find this surprising. Kim Jong Un is not normal, and I wouldn't expect him to behave like a normal head of state. He's known to be secretive and paranoid, so it would be surprising if he agreed to house in the same hotel as the press corp.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Cerin wrote:I don't find this surprising. Kim Jong Un is not normal, and I wouldn't expect him to behave like a normal head of state. He's known to be secretive and paranoid, so it would be surprising if he agreed to house in the same hotel as the press corp.
It may not be in the one I posted, but one of the articles I read was saying he booked that hotel - so he decided to stay there knowing that the press was there, just so he could flex his muscles and boot them out. It isn't that he showed up and "oh surprise" - it's that he did this as a deliberate tactic.

And sounds like 'we' just let him do it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

From what I have read, it is not clear whether it was the North Korean government, the Trump administration, or the Vietnamese government responsible for the decision to evict the White House press corps. Or a combination of all or some of them. I wouldn't dismiss any possibility.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I think this is a very good column by conservative columnist David Brooks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/opin ... QafG4LjYuo
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Judge demands answers from Roger Stone on book that could violate gag order
The judge in charge of Roger Stone's criminal trial on Friday demanded to know why the court wasn’t made aware of the “imminent general release” of a book that could include discussion of the longtime Trump adviser's legal proceedings, potentially violating a gag order.

Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think she is going to throw him in jail, but it isn't impossible. She has a very low tolerance for bullshit. As Paul Manafort discovered to his regret.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So you are saying that she might *removes sunglasses* throw the book at him?

Voronwë the Faithful

I tried to avoid saying that, but yes.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

If she doesn't throw the book at him, she might throw the Instagram post at him.

Trump friend Roger Stone suggests Robert Mueller 'framed' him in Instagram post that could violate gag order
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, it looks like she might throw the book at him after all, rather than the Instagram post. She just posted and order denying his attorney's motion to "clarify" her previous order as it pertains to his book, and ordering him t produce records related to his book deal and schedule for release, the exact date the book first became available, when he learned the book had been printed, and other details, within a week. Despite the fact that the special counsel's office brought the Instagram post to her attention, she made no mention of it in her latest order.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Meddle not in the affairs of federal judges for they are subtle and quick to anger.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

https://youtu.be/Ec02r_Zqqqk

Safe for work

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.