Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Trump's America

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Disloyalty to Israel, Netanyahu, and Trump himself. Not necessarily in that order,

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Disloyal to Trump, The Chosen One, The Second Coming of God. :roll: :bang:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Disloyalty to Israel, Netanyahu, and Trump himself. Not necessarily in that order,

Forgive me for asking. I come from a place of ignorance. Why would Americans owe loyalty to any of the above?

ETA: I actually heard a rather extended quote on the radio on my way home in which Trump elaborated that he was referring to disloyalty to Israel. This has some fantastically creepy connotations. I guess this is Trump's play to win back the evangelicals who feel he takes the Lord's name in vain too often? Make sure that they know he'll do anything and everything to make sure the End Times come to pass exactly as written?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There is a long history of anti-Semitism which takes the form of so-called dual or divided loyalty in which Jews are accused of being less loyal to the state they live in than other citizens. This is nothing new.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:Disloyalty to who, exactly? Or do I not want to know?
I am guessing he means disloyal to Israel/the Jewish state. However, if we turn this on it's side and compare it to Catholicsm, we, as a country, do not expect our leaders (thinking of the problems Kennedy had with this) to have loyalty to Rome or the Pope. It was a big negative issue. From what I've heard, Trump is pandering to Evangelicals because they believe Jews must have their own state for the Second Coming of Christ. The Apocalypse. Or some such. BTW.. all Jews die in this scenario.. so.. yeah.. wonderful Evangelicals, hey?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yes, Trump did clarify today he meant disloyalty to Israel. Which has some interesting implications about how he views the citizenship status of American Jews and might be why he just can't seem to distance himself from neo-Nazis and other flavors of fascists/alt-right/whatever the PC term for these j@ck@$$es is.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maybe Trump can buy Israel.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The Israelis don't deserve that.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Neither do the Greenlanders. Or us (imo).
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

NYT reports that Trump allies have launched a coordinated campaign to harass and embarrass journalists and journals that have been critical of him:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/us/p ... media.html
https://www.nytco.com/press/a-campaign- ... our-staff/
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:cry:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This recent thing with Trump, where he faked a weather map to try and cover his mistake about hurricane Dorian heading to Alabama, might genuinely be the most blatantly crazy thing I've seen him do. Like, in the grand scheme it's a a small, insignificant thing, of no real importance compared to the many terrible things about him and his presidency. But this one seems like something that a genuinely crazy person would do. Like something someone who is genuinely losing their grip on reality would do. It's a small but shocking thing, and it will be largely forgotten about in a couple weeks because all the other shocking things he'll keep doing will make us numb to it all.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:This recent thing with Trump, where he faked a weather map to try and cover his mistake about hurricane Dorian heading to Alabama, might genuinely be the most blatantly crazy thing I've seen him do.
See, and I think it may actually be the most blatant proof that he knows full well what he is doing. He will flat out change reality to align with his stance. And to me that isn't crazy, that is sanely deliberate in order to secure his 'supreme leader' status. He is right, and when he is wrong, he is right. And when facts don't support him, he is right. And when everything you see and hear contradict him, he is right.

Crazy isn't consistent, it's chaotic and unpredictable. To me, anyway. This isn't that. That isn't crazy, that is terrifying.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, there is crazy, and there is crazy (mentally ill). Crazy isn't defined by a single completely off the rails type insanity. What he seems to be exhibiting is magical thinking and insisting we participate, in an Emperor's New Clothes style, much like they are required to do in North Korea. Mass hypnosis. Or maybe a God complex or something. Someone who is entirely sane does not do the things he does.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: much like they are required to do in North Korea.
Right. That Supreme Leader role he admires so much.
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Did y'all see the faked map? There are several levels of crazy here, but what really gets me, what really feels like someone disconnected from reality, is presenting that big, obviously faked drawing on the map, and telling people that it's real as if he expects that... what, no one will see that it is fake? That no one will see the obvious thing right in front of their face? Or, maybe worse, that he doesn't know the difference between what's real and what's fake? It's utterly baffling.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:Did y'all see the faked map? There are several levels of crazy here, but what really gets me, what really feels like someone disconnected from reality, is presenting that big, obviously faked drawing on the map, and telling people that it's real as if he expects that... what, no one will see that it is fake? That no one will see the obvious thing right in front of their face? Or, maybe worse, that he doesn't know the difference between what's real and what's fake? It's utterly baffling.
I did see it, which is why I said he is happy to change reality to make himself 'right'.

The people who most feverishly support Trump won't care that it's fake because it gives them what they want - a Dear Leader who is perfect and "tells it like it is". They'll use it as yet more proof of the lying media and lying climate scientists, because see, Trump was right! He showed us a map! Sure, a 4 yr old with a crayon could have made a more convincing map, but that doesn't matter because they will believe what they want to believe so long as they can claim they are the persecuted right.

Cognitive dissonance is strong with this one's cult.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

I guarantee that a vast majority of his "base" would point to that as "proof" that the "fake news media" is the enemy.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I guarantee that a vast majority of his "base" would point to that as "proof" that the "fake news media" is the enemy.
Jinx. :D
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

:) ( I don't know why I didn't see your post)

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yes, I saw the map. A reporter pointed it out and he acted like he knew nothing about it. Falsifying a national weather report is illegal, but will anything come if it? No. But why?!! *Ugh* because he only tolerates sycophants and everyone else is gone. Those who can see the emperor in all his craziness can do nothing. Cognitive dissonance is right. Crazy, but not the right kind of crazy for the 25th amendment?