Brexit Carried - Endgame

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Brexit Carried - PM Boris

Post by Sunsilver »

What Canada's national newspaper has to say about Boris Johnson. And this newspaper is traditionally conservative...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... 9IgqajN-_A
But this week, without breaking a sweat, the PM penned the Odyssey and the Iliad of shambles. He faced his first votes in Parliament and lost them; lost his minority government’s governing majority; sacked 21 of his own MPs, including his party’s longest-serving member and Winston Churchill’s grandson; provoked his own brother into resigning from cabinet, citing a conflict between “family loyalty and the national interest"; and lost control of the House of Commons while remaining so offside the chamber’s confidence that it will not yet allow him to resolve the matter by calling an election.

Mr. Johnson did all that, and more, in the space of two days. What will tomorrow bring?

British politics today is what results from the collision of an unstoppable force, an immovable object and a clown car.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Clown car. Idiots in a clown car. Seems to be a lot of that going around in politics.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I was just thinking as I reread this: If I'd come up with those words on my own, I might get my wrists slapped for name-calling! :shock: :D :D

Well, maybe not, because the words aren't directed at an individual. At least, not directly.

And no, that's not meant as a criticism of this board's policies! :grouphug:

For The Globe and Mail to say something like that is, in my experience, unprecedented.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah.. you know things are pretty bad when Mick Jagger has to call you out.

It reminds me of a quote from Pablo Piccasso when he was criticized for his 'nonsensical' and 'ugly' art (cubism and abstract art were rather new). Those who had commissioned him to do a painting had wanted something traditional and 'pretty'. When they saw 'Guernica', which was a commentary on the 1937 bombing during the Spanish civil war, Picasso said, "The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do? ”
Today, Guernica is considered one of his most famous works.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Britain's House Of Lords Approves Bill Blocking No-Deal Brexit

Now it goes to the Queen for Royal Assent, which is just a formality. Then Johnson will renew his call for a snap election. Here are my two questions:

1) now that the law has passed, is it more likely that Labour and the other opposition parties will support an election?

2) is there anything stopping Johnson from simply ignoring the law and refusing to request an extension and instead just crash out on October 31?
1) They will support an election, but only when an extension to article 50 has been agreed. However, there's no guarantee that Europe will agree to another extension without a plan.

2) He can mount a legal challenge, but if that fails, then ignoring the law would basically end his career and land him in jail. It won't happen, despite his rhetoric.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Parliament has been prorogued for five weeks until 14 October amidst scenes of chaos, with MPs trying to hold the Speaker down in his chair to prevent him from leaving (bonus John Bercowism: "I couldn't give a flying flamingo what your view is"). The motion to hold an early election failed, so it will no longer be possible to hold one before the 31 October deadline. Bercow has announced he will resign as Speaker at the end of October. The Prime Minister has said he will get a new deal from Brussels or the UK will leave without one as planned.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Túrin wrote:The Prime Minister has said he will get a new deal from Brussels or the UK will leave without one as planned.
Just words, or truth, despite the law requiring that an extension be requested if no deal is reached? Al says it would land him in jail. Do you agree?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Trump's America

Post by Frelga »

What does the rest of the EU say about this? I don't get the impression that they are inclined to make this easy.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Túrin wrote:The Prime Minister has said he will get a new deal from Brussels or the UK will leave without one as planned.
Just words, or truth, despite the law requiring that an extension be requested if no deal is reached? Al says it would land him in jail. Do you agree?
I haven't read the law requiring that an extension be requested so I don't know the details (I might check tonight). It would depend on what penalties the law lays down for failing to follow it. Of course, asking for an extension is no guarantee of getting one.
Voronwë the Faithful

Of course, asking for an extension is no guarantee of getting one.
True, though I would be pretty surprised if the EU refused to grant one. They don't want a no-deal exit either. But there is certainly no reason to believe that an extension won't simply kick the same problems down the road another three months.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Realistically, now that Boris doesn't have a majority anymore, there nothing to stop him breaking faith with the DUP. Northern Ireland could remain in the Customs Union and have the best of both worlds, removing the need for either the backstop or borders.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

How so? I ask out of ignorance.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yeah, what she said, Alatar! :scratch:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This is what was originally offered, but was rejected by the DUP because it would effectively put a border in the Irish Sea rather than on the Island of Ireland. Naturally, its much easier to police a few ports than the 100 or so road crossings between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Unfortunately Boris has just rejected that sensible solution:

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Parliament will return on Wednesday after the U.K.'s Supreme Court ruled the prorogation unlawful. This is massive in legal and constitutional terms - the court has disallowed an exercise of the Government's executive power to advise the Queen.

I have no idea what to expect from the Parliament when it does resume.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I had to look up just what the Queen's Speech is all about: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32816450
This article explains it very well.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Well, whatever you have to say about politics in the U.K., you certainly can't call it dull! :shock: :shock:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/01/lockdown ... v2dG50FoL4
Greater Manchester Police said in statement that an ‘attendee’ tried to enter without a relevant pass. The force said: ‘At around 1.45pm on Tuesday 1 October 2019, an attendee to the Conservative Party Conference attempted to enter the International Lounge area of the conference without the relevant pass. ‘Security staff intervened and resolved the situation without any breach of security occurring.’

According to parliamentary sketch writer John Crace, the MP was later being held by police. He wrote on Twitter: ‘The treasurer of the 1922 committee, Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, has been held by police after an incident in the International Lounge at the Tory party conference. ‘Just hours before Priti Patel announced plans to get tough on crime. Now to get Boris…’
:rofl:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In case people think we are over-reacting, this is what could happen again if a border returns to Northern Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/book ... -1.4037704
Voronwë the Faithful

:cry: