Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Impeachment

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Some of these news sources have gone along with the gaslighting and covering up for Trump and his egregious behavior and foolish comments because they were getting what they wanted and so were willing to overlook his horrid behavior and crimes/inappropriate dealings. Now they've created a monster they cannot control and they are worried that their viewers will realize they've been lied to.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: they are worried that their viewers will realize they've been lied to.
... sadly, I don't think they have much to worry about with some of that base. :(
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

More international criminal dealings and interference in our judicial system. From Bloomberg.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This is a very ominous sign for Mr. Trump.

Matt Drudge, an influential figure in conservative media, sours on Trump as he faces impeachment
I don't think it means much. Drudge likes to drive traffic with controversial or misleading headlines. He's realized that he can get a lot of traffic by banging the impeachment drum. I don't think that sort of website supports or opposes Trump per se. It just says or pretends to support whatever gets it the most money.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Griffon64 wrote: I don't think it means much. Drudge likes to drive traffic with controversial or misleading headlines. He's realized that he can get a lot of traffic by banging the impeachment drum. I don't think that sort of website supports or opposes Trump per se. It just says or pretends to support whatever gets it the most money.
It may have less to do with their actual convictions and more to do with the news that their base consumes - that may actually alter public opinion. If they go to their "fair and balanced" news sources and find articles that no longer fall in goose-step with the president, they may start to waiver in their actual support.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Considering that several prominent Republicans were willing to strongly criticize the Turkey/Kurds decision, it does give me hope that they are capable of saying enough's enough if things keep coming out that are harder and harder to defend.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Apples and oranges, Yov.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

It's all about corruption, says Mr. Trump (and Mr. Giuliani).

Two men connected to Giuliani's Ukraine efforts charged with funneling foreign money into US election

This on the same day (actually technically the day before, because they were arrested late last night), that these same two men were subpoenaed in the impeachment inquiry after their lawyer sent a letter refusing to turn over requested documents. And who is their lawyer? Mr. Trump's former personal attorney, John Dowd.

You can't make this stuff up.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

yovargas wrote:Considering that several prominent Republicans were willing to strongly criticize the Turkey/Kurds decision, it does give me hope that they are capable of saying enough's enough if things keep coming out that are harder and harder to defend.
Or is it a ruse?
Lindsey Graham dishes on Trump in hoax calls with Russians He seems to contradict his public statements.

Voronwë, Trump & Giuliani sure seem to have a lot of 'interesting' (criminal) Russian friends with loads of cash. One would almost think it's a mob.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Voronwë, Trump & Giuliani sure seem to have a lot of 'interesting' (criminal) Russian friends with loads of cash.
This sentence illustrates why we English speakers should go back to declining our nouns :P
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote: Voronwë, Trump & Giuliani sure seem to have a lot of 'interesting' (criminal) Russian friends with loads of cash.
This sentence illustrates why we English speakers should go back to declining our nouns :P
Uh oh.. what offense did I commit? Is my grammar amiss?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

While I'm sure that V-man has interesting friends, I'd be surprised if any of them are Russian criminals. ;)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

yovargas wrote:While I'm sure that V-man has interesting friends, I'd be surprised if any of them are Russian criminals. ;)
Ah.. :rofl:
Is this better?

Voronwë: Trump & Giuliani sure seem to have a lot of 'interesting' (criminal) Russian friends with loads of cash.
Voronwë the Faithful

Lol.

Meanwhile, Trump loses appeal to stop House subpoena of his tax documents

I'm putting this here rather than the other thread about investigations in part because the dissenting judge in the 2-1 decision (a Trump appointee) argued in her dissenting opinion that the proper course of action for Congress seeking to investigate potential wrongdoing by the president is an impeachment proceeding. I would not be surprised if the Democrats did end up wrapping the tax returns into the impeachment inquiry.

Trump now has seven days to decide whether to appeal. He can asking for rehearing (which would be summarily rejected), ask for review by the full D.C. Circuit (which is still dominated by Democratic appointees and would certainly not overturn this decision, but could cause more delays), or he can petition directly to the SCOTUS. They don't have to take the case but given the importance they probably would. I would like to believe that they would not rule in his favor when the law is so clearly against him but I can't say I would be surprised.

Maybe I'll ask some of my Russian mafia friends what they think. ;)

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rotfl: They could use a good lawyer, Voronwë.

If that had been my intended meaning I would have used an Oxford comma!!!

yov, you employed my much wished for 'superpower'. I am jealous.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar wrote::rotfl: They could use a good lawyer, Voronwë.

If that had been my intended meaning I would have used an Oxford comma!!!

yov, you employed my much wished for 'superpower'. I am jealous.
That's why Oxford commas are important. Their absence conveys as much meaning as their presence.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I've been waiting for this news, particularly after yesterday's news.

Giuliani Is Said to Be Under Investigation for Ukraine Work

I doubt it will happen, but if Giuliani gets arrested that would be a game changer. I don't think Barr will let it happen.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Unless he's being set up as the fall guy.
When you can do nothing what can you do?