Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Impeachment

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I was watching something last night and they said (greatly paraphrasing) that Trump & Co. aren't worried about convincing anyone /winning anyone over (they have no defense, the evidence is overwhelming) they are just concerned with creating sound-bites for their FOX base to keep them in the bubble.

*edited to add: it really speaks to the dangerous nature of propaganda and disinformation and the damage it can do.

**elengil, I hope you are fairing better than I am. :hug:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:**elengil, I hope you are fairing better than I am. :hug:
No, I currently 'mute' my sister on Facebook and avoid family dinners in general. I can't avoid my uncle (he lives in my house, it's a bit hard), but I can at least generally avoid any political talk.

Though my sister is a rabid anti-vaxer, too. I think she was even at one point questioning the moon landings. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she started believing the world was flat.

I guess I shouldn't say my 'whole' family. I have no idea what my dad thinks of any of this because my dad, bless him, doesn't say a damn word. I love my dad. :love:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

My parents wind themselves up listening to NPR. It's not fun having my parents wound up, but at least we're all working with the same data set.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Yov, I'm basing it on my mom, who only watches FOX news and can't believe that everyone doesn't think Trump is SO wonderful and is just persecuted by the evil democrats.
But not all 42% are your mom. Yov's right, it's weird that no one's changed their mind over this. The implication is that everyone who's persuadable was already persuaded, and 42% were left. That's bodes extremely poor for the future, regardless of what happens with this president.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I predicted that by the time the impeachment articles were issued, Trump's average approval rating would dip back below 40%. I'm going to stand by that, at least at this point.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:**elengil, I hope you are fairing better than I am. :hug:
No, I currently 'mute' my sister on Facebook and avoid family dinners in general. I can't avoid my uncle (he lives in my house, it's a bit hard), but I can at least generally avoid any political talk.

Though my sister is a rabid anti-vaxer, too. I think she was even at one point questioning the moon landings. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she started believing the world was flat.

I guess I shouldn't say my 'whole' family. I have no idea what my dad thinks of any of this because my dad, bless him, doesn't say a damn word. I love my dad. :love:
*sigh* My mother has told me she hopes I am murdered by Mexicans, so.. yeah, it's been tough.

I came across this article: 'Bad Thinkers' last night. It didn't make me feel better about the future/persuade-ability of those who are taken in my conspiracy theories.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:*sigh* My mother has told me she hopes I am murdered by Mexicans, so.. yeah, it's been tough.
:shock: Well, I flat refuse to discuss politics with my family so, sadly, they assume I think as they do. Even if my mom knew, she certainly wouldn't be wishing harm on me for it, she'd just tell me how wrong I was.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Rose, I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. I'm really sorry. That is horrible. :(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Thanks, it has been rough. We even mostly avoid politics & religion, but her anger (which is riled up by Trump/FOX news) is just devouring her and making her a very angry person. Rage is probably the right word. She is enraged. Always. I got some counseling to gain some coping skills, but there are no easy answers.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I.... hope you don't get killed by anyone of any ethnicity.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:

Meanwhile, the House released the transcripts of two of the most important witnesses today, Fiona Hill and Col. Vindman. There is a ton of new revelations beyond what was previously revealed about their testimony, but this is probably the most significant:

White House Officials Testify Quid Pro Quo Was Coordinated With Mulvaney

And speaking of potentially important witnesses, John Bolton's attorney, Charles Cooper, raised the stakes by sending a letter to the House investigators saying that Bolton had information about "many relevant meetings and conversations that have not yet been discussed in the testimonies thus far" but won't testify unless a court says that he can. :roll:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

yovargas wrote:I.... hope you don't get killed by anyone of any ethnicity. Image
Me too! I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I am hoping Voronwë is right and people check out the hearings/evidence.
I also think the stipulation by Bolton is weird because he's no longer an employee of the WH so he shouldn't be bound to restrictions by the WH/Trump.
Voronwë the Faithful

From Col. Vindman:

Lt. Col Alexander Vindman said it “doesn’t take a rocket scientist” to understand why Trump would want to damage his political opponent, Joe Biden.

“Do you think the President was trying to get the Ukrainian Government to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden?” someone asked.

“Look … Counsel … It’s all in the future,” Vindman said. “I guess, look, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see where the gain would be for the President in investigating the son of a political opponent.”

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

RoseMorninStar wrote: I also think the stipulation by Bolton is weird because he's no longer an employee of the WH so he shouldn't be bound to restrictions by the WH/Trump.
I think Bolton's trying to cover his @ss, though whether from a real threat or an imagined one is not clear to me. Seems like if he really has a story he wants to tell, he'd do what other people have done: show up.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Mulvaney has filed a motion to join Kupperman's lawsuit, saying that the same issues apply to him since he is a close advisor to the President and has been subpoenaed to testify but ordered not to.

Mulvaney, of course, is a current advisor whereas Kupperman and Bolton are former advisors, but the argument is that either was they should be prevented from revealing communications with the President to protect sensitive policy discussions. Of course the alternative argument is that they should be forced to reveal discussions about conduct that is illegal or otherwise impeachable offenses.

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Thanks, it has been rough. We even mostly avoid politics & religion, but her anger (which is riled up by Trump/FOX news) is just devouring her and making her a very angry person. Rage is probably the right word. She is enraged. Always. I got some counseling to gain some coping skills, but there are no easy answers.
That is awful. What you described is their business model - the Fox News opinion section lives off of stoking anger by any means necessary, which by its nature includes lies. Make sure the audience comes back for another hit or outrage or just plain old rage so the advertising dollars keep coming in. There's a demand for it so it will be delivered.

It has a very real negative effect on the lives of the listeners who now walk around consumed by seething anger and feelings of being wronged and persecuted and that the country is going to hell. Basically, all that is the very opposite of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". Instead of being free, those who believe are caught in a prison of anger and fear. Instead of pursuing happiness, they are afraid that the sky is falling, the baddies are coming, life is awful, the US is descending into third-world levels of everything thanks to those darn liberals. Somehow all this is true while strolling along perfectly manicured sidewalks in pristine neighborhoods, driving on smooth roads in large, luxurious vehicles, not worrying about the next meal, having money in the bank, etc etc.

It is miserable, but in a free country you are free to give away your freedom for lies and misery, and others are free to sell it to you.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Griffy, you've said it better than I could but those are my thoughts as well.

Not that it's a comfort, but I'm not alone. Counseling for this division and rage has gone way up in the last couple of years. It's seriously tearing families apart. The impeachment process (and the stick-our-heads-in-the-sand denial/support Trump (who in turn seems to be supporting Russia) at any cost to our nation isn't helping.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Griffy, your posts are so bang on the money! Yes, they want to stoke a climate of fear.

Most of my friends are liberals, but as I've mentioned before, there's this guy whose small group I used to attend back when I was in Bradford. They are a very nice couple, but he's not well educated, and just doesn't know how to sift through right-wing propaganda. I correct him when I can, and he is a reasonable guy, and doesn't take offence.

Yesterday, he posted on FB an article from a right-wing news site that said Iran had executed a rape victim who had shot and killed 3 of her attackers. This supposedly happened in August of this year.

I did a fairly extensive check of the net, and could find no proof of this. But, I DID find that Iran considers rape a crime punishable by death. Yes, I am sure the application of that law is heavily weighted in favour of the men in the population. I'm not blind when it comes to what goes on in Islamic countries governed by Sharia law.

I then read the article he'd linked to, including the comments. One of the posters was calling for the extinction of ALL Muslims. Another said 'Islam is a culture of barbaric pigs.'

Now, the people supporting this website are probably mostly right-wing Christians. It just made me shudder! How is this ANY DIFFERENT than some of the things Nazis said about the Jews??

I'm sure if he'd read the comments, he would have been appalled!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Are you going to be able to sleep tonight V?
Voronwë the Faithful

Why wouldn't I?