Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:...
For those who skipped the Avengers movies - that's Thanos. A genocidal madman, on a mission to wipe out half of all life in the universe in order to conserve resources for the survivors. Because he is incapable of understanding basic concepts of economics or science.

Who gets obliterated and turned to dust within a minute of speaking that line.

That's the message they are going with?
With all the literal heroes putting their lives on the line to stop him, including this one guy called Captain America.

Good stuff, good stuff.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That 40% +/- of Americans have no problem with the creepy, awful things he does is even more horrific.

Thomas Friedman had a good column in the NYT today. One of the comments read:
Today’s photo of Trump and Russian’s Foreign Minister Lavrov is very telling and sends an ominous message. Russia is standing behind the desk now, as Trump is seated with a huge smile.

As a former art director with years of experience with executive photo shoots, I will say this arrangement is no accident. The only thing that’s missing are the marionette strings and the sign “Mission Accomplished!”
I assume this is the photo being referred to:
Attachments
22078262-7776879-image-a-24_1576020403633.jpg
22078262-7776879-image-a-24_1576020403633.jpg (80.74 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If Trump photoshopps himself on Steve Rogers, I'm afraid Chris Evans will steal the shield and uniform from the set and go full Nomad.

X-posted with Rose. Yikes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:nono:

Welp, time to really buckle down and learn my Russian
Frelga wrote:If Trump photoshopps himself on Steve Rogers, I'm afraid Chris Evans will steal the shield and uniform from the set and go full Nomad.
Afraid? I'd be pulling for it!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

However, perhaps the definitive response came from Thanos co-creator and comics legend Jim Starlin himself.

“After my initial feeling of being violated, seeing that pompous fool using my creation to stroke his infantile ego, it finally struck me that the leader of my country and the free world actually enjoys comparing himself to a mass murderer,” Starlin said in a statement to HuffPost. “How sick is that?”

He continued: “These are sad and strange times we are going through. Fortunately all things, even national nightmares, eventually come to an end.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Denver radio host Chuck Bonniwell began a segment of his afternoon radio show Tuesday by lamenting the “never-ending impeachment of Donald Trump,” and then saying, “You know, you wish for a nice school shooting to interrupt the monopoly.”
https://coloradotimesrecorder.com/2019/ ... ost/20217/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I just saw that myself. The mind boggles.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

WTactualF...

I have no idea who Bonniwell is. I guess that's what I get for listening to NPR while commuting and KBCO (90's music, mostly) in the lab. Maybe being an edgelord is his schtick. Or maybe he's just an a-hole. Either way...WTactualF. Trump's unpopularity in the Front Range can't be understated. We'd prefer a rotten potato, honestly.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Or a boiled turnip.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A former radio host, I assume?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:A former radio host, I assume?
So I went and looked and yes. Former as of last night. We've got some pretty raw feelings about school shootings around here. The most recent one was in May.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Alatar wrote:
Denver radio host Chuck Bonniwell began a segment of his afternoon radio show Tuesday by lamenting the “never-ending impeachment of Donald Trump,” and then saying, “You know, you wish for a nice school shooting to interrupt the monopoly.”
https://coloradotimesrecorder.com/2019/ ... ost/20217/
Holy awful nasty you'vegottabekiddingme what is wrong with people? I'm glad he was fired. This is why people believe refer to it as the 'cult' of Trump. Seriously, just ... ugh.
The host issued a statement on his Twitter account, saying, "I made an inappropriate comment meant as a joke. I’m sorry it was not received that way."
And this 'apology' isn't very apologetic. Good grief.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So in addition to the shooting back in May, this year was also the 20th anniversary of the Columbine shooting. To "celebrate", an unbalanced young woman from Florida hopped a plane to Denver, bought a gun not far from theColumbine campus, and scared the living crap out of everyone. Public schools between Denver and Fort Collins were closed for a day while the manhunt ensued. She was found dead in a campground about half an hour west of where I work and nowhere near the Columbine HS campus. Fortunately, though my older kid had a surprise day off, she's too young to access news media without the mommy filter in place so she didn't get exposed to the same breathless coverage the adults and older kids got treated to.

tl;dr: No one in the Colorado Front Range is going to take a "joke" about school shootings as a joke. Or a "joke" about mass shootings in general.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Honestly, I was SURE this was the Onion when I first read it! :nono: :help:

Crop duster spreads 100 gallons of holy water on Louisiana town:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/crop-duster-s ... Qszr8f1hWY
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I hope the pilot was singing "I bless the rains down in Louisiana."

Recently, I read about how it is possible to add regular water to holy water, making the entire water volume holy and apparently there are some complex rules for it.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh good grief. My mom knows a woman who takes copious amounts of holy water home to bathe in. She puts it on sores and she wonders why she has a MERSA infection. Holy water is not sterile. I have very little patience for stuff like that.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Reminds me of the joke: How do you make holy water? You boil the hell out of it!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:Reminds me of the joke: How do you make holy water? You boil the hell out of it!
:rotfl:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

“He doesn’t go to church - He doesn’t go to religion”

I mean, yes.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude