Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Gosh, no you tube thread?

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That was fascinating Maria! I wonder what the purpose of the fluid in the bottom of the cup was for? I wonder if there is any detriment to the chick's development not having to chip it's way out of the shell. What makes it even more amazing is that looks like it was done at home. Cool.
Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 4.43.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 4.43.18 PM.png (6.93 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I recall seeing a youtube video a couple of years ago of some Japanese students doing this as a biology experiment so they could watch the embryo develop. So awe-inspiring!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Very fun song! Both the music and the video

Pretty sure it's Russian?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That's Rusyn!!!! (Ruthenian/Carpatho-Rusyn) different from Russian.. That is what my paternal ancestors are!! It says 'adapted' so I'm not sure if that means the lyrics or the language. My family was from little towns north of Stropkov (Krušinec, Vyškovice, Chotča) and some from Bardejov, Slovakia. Rusyns/Ruthenians are a people without a country of their own.

It's the age-old cautionary not to mess-around before you get married! :)
Ah.. so young.. so limber... :rofl:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't know if there is a better way to link to a Twitter video, but watch this one.

https://twitter.com/disappoptimism/stat ... 97794?s=19
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

:scarey: :rofl:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'm not particularly into classical music, but I'm finding this guy's channel surprisingly entertaining. He's obviously an exceptional pianist, but there's something about the combination of understated humour and the expressionless staring at the camera which keeps me watching.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I liked that! :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

I tend to prefer the first version of any song I hear, even if it isn't the original. This is assuming I like the song at all - but generally whatever version I first hear is the one that is 'the one' in my head.

But I have recently found a very rare exception. I do love Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence, but I came across another version - oddly I found it because it was the song that a figure skate pair performed to, and I find that I am really loving this version as well. He's got a nice voice, and a powerful delivery.

was a 2020 planner.

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I've always liked this interpretation of Sound of Silence from a vocal jazz legend:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is an amazing rendition of an all-time great song (this kid is so talented):

(I renamed the thread.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

And another one.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Both are lovely. 'Hallelujah' is such an epic song..
eborr

Post by eborr »

hello

here is a film of a quite astonishing performance that I was blessed to witness- The guy doing the introductions is well known in these parts as one of the UK top movie critics. To get back to a LOTR theme - this was the night I did my fanboy with John Rees-Davies who was also in the audience. If you hang on right to the end, you can see my good buddy Danny Kneale taking his place behind the drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1EblP- ... rt_radio=1
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

Hey eborr! Nice to see you here. Thanks for sharing. I'll check it out when I have a little more time and can pay attention.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

eborr, that is lovely. Especially on the harp :love: without the dissonant noise that is in the film score.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Hi V and other folks, I dont post much anywhere these days, but dip in now and then. I caught this film ayear after attending the show, and was again mesmerised bythe performance. I wanted to share it, and it was a no brainer to post it here, theboard which has the most smart erudite ans sympathetic folk you could imagine. Best wishes to you allq
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
Voronwë the Faithful

I think I can safely say that nothing like this has ever been written before.

Here are the lyrics, if you want to follow along. Given that the song is 17 minutes long, and there is no instrumental sequences, there are a lot of them (this is the longest song that Dylan has ever produced.)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow. What some people are able to do while Sheltering in Place. This is why he got a Nobel for Literature.