2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was a bigger fan of Andrew Cuomo's father than I am of him. I know a lot of people have been favorably comparing his response to Trump's, but my opinion of how he has responded is pretty mixed.

I don't dislike Newsome, though I've always thought that he took actions with more than half an eye on how they would raise his profile. Which I guess is to say that he is a politician. I don't see him as a presidential candidate any time soon. But who knows? I no longer can pretend to understand what makes someone a viable presidential candidate.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

On the other hand, they made social distancing work in Tokyo and Singapore, and they've effectively shut down Melbourne which is famous for its masses of trams and spiderweb of train lines.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Faramond wrote:People are trying to draft Andrew Cuomo, governor of New York, to be the Democratic nominee.

Never mind that I don't understand any real pathway for this -- why the fascination with him?
He's coming off as a rational human in face of a crisis, as opposed to a disorganized sociopath hawking unproven treatments.

The population density in NYC makes it a tinderbox for a respiratory virus like this so it's not surprising NY alone is posting numbers that rival some entire nations. I admit I've been paying more attention to the PacNW and my own state's responses so I don't feel prepared to argue about what Cuomo could or could not have done better. I am sure, however, that mistakes were made. One of them was probably waiting for federal guidance.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

NYC population rivals entire nations, too.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

My point isn't that Cuomo has been horrible. And of course he looks good compared to Trump. I just don't see looking at all the Democratic governors handling the Covid-19 crisis and saying "yep, he's doing the best, he should be president." And given New York's density ( the city ) I think you could argue he should have been far quicker to call for the lockdown. Newsom actually called for a lockdown first, and Cuomo was a day later.

And regardless of tests conducted per capita I think we do know that New York has far more cases than California, based on deaths and hospitalizations, unless the strain of SARS-Cov-2 in California is far more mild for some reason.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I honestly don't know how one person gets more attention than the other when they're doing the same things. For some reason, Cuomo's address to New Yorkers got all over the internet while statements from other governors in the same soup did not. Once that happened, buzz started because people want/need someone who can at least appear direct, compassionate, and competent at the helm.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Probably because it is New York, which holds an outsize piece of people's minds. Larger than life.

Or it is east coast bias ;)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Try living in one of 'em rectangular "fly-over" states. Then we can talk about bias. :P
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

It's a myth that Wyoming and Colorado are different states.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Colorado has legal weed. Wyoming has legal fireworks. Get it right! :x ;)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:Colorado has legal weed. Wyoming has legal fireworks. Get it right! :x ;)
So who's having more fun?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Right now? I honestly can't say.
Voronwë the Faithful

I would say that it is good that there is not both legal weed and legal fireworks in the same state, but honestly I think fireworks and alcohol are a scarier mix.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Weed is legal in Nevada and the entire economy of the small town of Schurz NV is selling crazy fireworks.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Weirdly, there has been no push to legalize fireworks in Colorado. I think we're all afraid we'd burn the state down or something if it was easier than sneaking a stash out of a neighboring state in one of the Indian reservations.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I watched one of the governor of Colorado's addresses recently, and was really impressed. SOOOOO much better than our governor.
Voronwë the Faithful

New York has now moved its Presidential primary to June 23. So if Sanders holds to his plan to stay in the race until that primary he essentially will never concede before the convention is right around the corner.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm beginning to wonder if the Convention will be held. It would be a big blow to Milwaukee.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

It's kind of hard to imagine having a convention, isn't it?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes. From everything that I am hearing, it's hard to believe that kind of gathering would be possible then.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk