Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by elengil »

The whole thing is good but the part I'm sharing for starts at 2:49.
The 3 Little Pigs - in most imaginative rendition as if from the 16th century. :rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rotfl:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It's an epic battle of wits between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a half-lemon! So much is at stake! Who will emerge victorious?

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I saw that video a couple weeks ago and have since probably watched it like 20 times. It's my favorite video ever about a lemon. (The dog is pretty nice too.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

One of the more interesting trends I've seen on Youtube this year have been Medieval-style remixes of pop songs (Bardcore). Here's a random example (some have lyrics although this one doesn't):

elengil

Post by elengil »

Túrin Turambar wrote:One of the more interesting trends I've seen on Youtube this year have been Medieval-style remixes of pop songs (Bardcore). Here's a random example (some have lyrics although this one doesn't):

LOL I was actually thinking about posting that one here. This particular one translated remarkably well!
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Somebody That I Used To Know is terrific!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil

Post by elengil »

The build up had me in tears. I so deeply appreciate this woman!!
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote:One of the more interesting trends I've seen on Youtube this year have been Medieval-style remixes of pop songs (Bardcore). Here's a random example (some have lyrics although this one doesn't):
I think it's because it feels like we're living in the middle ages, plague and all.
(Just kidding. Sorta)

elengil.. love the dog comic!
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:
I think it's because it feels like we're living in the middle ages, plague and all.
(Just kidding. Sorta)
I actually think that's spot-on. It is only 'medieval times' to us in the future. To them it was the here and now, present reality.

Think about it, people living through the plague in the 14th century were modern people with their modern lives suddenly upended by a plague they could not cure (and did not know how to prevent). It disrupted the whole fabric of society, it spread across their known world, shattered social norms. There was perhaps a hypothetical future in which it was gone, but that was not their reality. They went through it, in the thick of it, without being able to yet look back on it as the past.

I think the only difference is that we actually do understand what COVID 19 is, and how to prevent it. We still can't cure it, yet, or protect against it with a vaccine, but we are no different from people 600 years ago in terms of how we are coping with the stress of the daily threat of plague.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On that, um, note. This is not the thread I was looking for, but this one does have interesting things to say some of the myths about the plague and Renaissance.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1246 ... 17889.html

The thread I was looking for was about the Great Plague of London, and consisted of interesting and well researched facts about that period, with links to current news articles attached without comment. If I find it, I'll link it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga, Let's hope for a Renaissance!

There are 2 YouTube channels I've been enjoying a great deal. The first is called 'Tasting History' This person is not a historian nor a chef but he tries to recreate recipes from history. Somewhere in the middle of the video he gives historical background/context. He does a wonderful job in a way that is very interesting/educational.

The second is from a young woman, Liziqi, from the Sichuan Provence in China who lives with her grandmother. She almost never speaks/does not narrate what she is doing, but occasionally if you turn captions on, there are comments. It is beautifully filmed and I find it very relaxing. She generally takes one subject (in the video below it happens to be persimmons) but it might be tomatoes, or corn, and she documents how the food is grown and used. This is really quite the foodie channel, but she also has videos that document all the old ways of preserving and even crafts, making bamboo furniture, getting ready for a festival, or taking wool from the sheep and turning it into a bed covering, etc.. Quite the Renaissance woman. :D
elengil

Post by elengil »

That hippocras video was hilarious! (Or, the guy was, anyway). Awesome! I think I might have to get a few of those spices myself and have some fun :)

I absolutely adore Liziqi! :love:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There really is some excellent content to be found on YouTube. Often better than what the TV has to offer.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:There really is some excellent content to be found on YouTube. Often better than what the TV has to offer.
I always say "I don't have TV" but I don't mean I don't physically have a television, I just have no standard TV 'inputs' (like cable). Just Netflix, DVDs, etc. that's it. No cable or anything like that. I have no idea what is even on TV anymore!
Last edited by elengil on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

At first I read that as meaning that you don't have any standard TV inputs such as Netfix or DVDs, but I think you are saying that you only have Netflix and DVDs, etc. but no cable or broadcast television.

If so, that is the same as us.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:At first I read that as meaning that you don't have any standard TV inputs such as Netfix or DVDs, but I think you are saying that you only have Netflix and DVDs, etc. but no cable or broadcast television.

If so, that is the same as us.
I totally see that, so I edited to make it much clearer!
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

I admit, I saw this on my feed about 4 times before I actually watched it, but finally did and :rotfl:
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And once again I am reducing to wondering why I don't find things funny that other people do.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There is a lot of comedy/humor that many find funny that I do not. I was discussing this with a friend last week. I suppose it may have to do with individual experiences.