Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Nature Pics

Post by Inanna »

From last two morning rides:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna, OH! What a beautiful morning (Oh! What a beautiful day). Sorry. Couldn't help myself. :D How early are you riding that there is so little activity/other people?

We were having breakfast on the deck this morning & a little friend joined us. Fortunately there was only a small amount of cold coffee in the cup. Later he was eyeing up my tea.
image upload
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

What is that Elvish mug made of?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote:What is that Elvish mug made of?
Clay/Ceramic. Handmade. Beautiful. Heavy.

Ages ago one of the Tolkien merchandise sites offered these handmade mugs. I adore handmade things, especially pottery. I ordered 2 but they were on back order and then they became unavailable. I was very disappointed, but I persisted. :D I knew they were handmade so I searched for the maker. Given that the site was from the UK that is where I began my search but low & behold (and more than a year later) I found their maker. A potter in the US - a woman who I later found out is a friend of Axordil!! (I ordered my first mugs before I knew Ax). I have mugs that represent the Green Dragon, The Ivy Bush (Hobbit size), and the Prancing Pony (it comes in pints!). The Elven mugs are my most recent acquisition. :D

Anyway, she and 2 or 3 other potters sell their wares at Renaissance fairs. You can order from their Facebook page: Ash & Griffon pottery. They also have a website, but I think these days they do most of their business on FB. Look for the photo album with Kim's work.

The Elven mug reads: Selma, fëa, and hröa; which translates to mind, spirit, and body; and miruvor, the elvish drink.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Enjoying the pretty pictures :love:

Jude, I'd be happy to share pics from my Flickr account but I have so many I doubt you have the time to go through them all (I don't!).

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Amazing mugs and awesome story!!

I recently requested some fermentation jars as custom work from a potter, she regularly has live feeds of her throwing and does "un-kilning" the way some people do unboxings. It's delightful to watch your pieces move through each phase of the process.

Those mugs really are wonderful, though. I might need to get something similar!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Impenitent wrote: Jude, I'd be happy to share pics from my Flickr account but I have so many I doubt you have the time to go through them all (I don't!).
Do you have any that look like they could be used as the setting of a Western?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil, she makes some mugs that coordinate with SCA. I have a Northern one.. Deep blue with snowflakes.

Jude, how many photos do you need? What exactly are you looking for? I could look through my photos, but I have so many I'd need some direction.

I could look through my Zion/Grand Canyon photos.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Well, I could sure use that first one of the desert.

I don't need a lot, I just want some background for an aria that lasts barely two minutes. The opera takes place in about 1850 near a mining camp in California, so I thought an old western vibe would suit it.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Here are a few more, but I can keep looking. I decreased the file size on these, so if you need them full size, let me know. FYI Saguaro cactus only pretty much grows in the Sonora desert, part of Arizona and Mexico.. I don't know if that will be a problem if it's California.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Those are great, thanks! I think I have enough for now.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ooopss.. I just copied a bunch more.. I could upload the ones you might find useful to Flickr if that would be easier for you.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Jude, if you have sufficient I won't go searching. I think most of my photos are too lush to pass for 'western'.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Take a look here, Jude. There's some Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

https://goo.gl/photos/WnCvaUobZvoaY5tg7

I can also find the Negev photos. Not the West, technically but Germans and Italians filmed their Westerns there.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Not sure if this qualifies as “nature”; morning bike ride:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Looks like nature to me!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna, lovely photos.

I think it was 2005, hubby suggested we visit New York City. I was more than hesitant. I had never taken or planned such a trip. Growing up we always gone on long camping trips to National Parks using a pop-up camper. As an adult we pretty much did the same thing although we camped with a tent. Planning a 'hotel' trip to an expensive city where we didn't know anyone was quite the undertaking. I'd grown up with stories about how dangerous NYC was (and it was). I really didn't know what to expect, however we really enjoyed our visit. So many lovely things to see and do (and eat!). We felt safe except for one incident when we got lost & wandered into an area that we cautioned to leave. It's such a vibrant city.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Our stay in New York was so much fun, and we got to meet a lovely professor. I wish I could spend a couple weeks there. I don't think I have enough energy to sustain a longer stay. That city has Vibe!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's helpful to know someone in the area one plans to visit.. or even know someone who has visited before. Small tips about what to do, what to avoid, etc.. are invaluable.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Very true, Rose. One of the best things that came out of being on TORC for me was the opportunity to meet wonderful people, practically every time I travel. And of course living in the Bay Area, the chance to meet people when they come here.