The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Frelga »

Yes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Was this spoken outside of the Shire?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

No
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Is it this?
If you want to know, there is supposed to be a plot between you and me to get hold of his wealth.
Gandalf to Frodo
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, that's the one.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Translation party is working again! (but for how long?)

New quote:
Get off the little bird or roast it in your nest!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:Translation party is working again! (but for how long?)

New quote:
Get off the little bird or roast it in your nest!
Sounds like it's from the 15 Birds song the goblins sing. lol
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

You're on the right track...
elengil

Post by elengil »

Come down little birds, or you will get roasted in your nests!
was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's the one!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:That's the one!
Yay!!

Okay, so before I post one, is there any restriction on source, or can it be any work by Tolkien?
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hobbit, LOTR, or The Silmarillion, or if you use Unfinished Tales, that should be identified. Also, if you use one of the shorter works published in The Silmarillion, that should be identified as well. At least, that is my understanding of the 'rules' that we are using.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Hobbit, LOTR, or The Silmarillion, or if you use Unfinished Tales, that should be identified. Also, if you use one of the shorter works published in The Silmarillion, that should be identified as well. At least, that is my understanding of the 'rules' that we are using.
And is it any passage or only spoken? It seems that all the most recent have been spoken.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Only quotes, so only things spoken. Or I supposed that something that is quoted that is only thought but not stated aloud would be okay. Or at least, it would be okay with me!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Here's my quote then!
He asked her, and the leaves that wandered far away were scattered thickly for years
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Is this Aragorn in Lothlórien?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:Is this Aragorn in Lothlórien?
Half right
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

With a candlestick?

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:

With a candlestick?
:rofl:

I mean... there was fire, so...
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

elengil wrote:
Half right
So, Aragorn?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude