2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, their strategy makes sense in the sense that it is slightly more likely that they could prevail on appeal on the limited issue of the denial of leave to amend, but it doesn't make sense as it doesn't really get them to a point of making any difference in the election results.

I will also point out that in that thread one of the Trump lawyers (the radio show host Marc Scaringi) says in that thread that Alan Dershowitz says that they have winning arguments. What Dershowitz (who have very little respect for at this point) actually said is that they have some arguments that could be winning arguments but that none of them would be sufficient to overturn the election results.

x-posted with Frelga, who apparently has not read this thread today. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, now I see I missed it. My current consumption of news is limited.

But what a circus. This is taking "second time as farce" a little too far.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Republican PA canvassers vote against certification in a county *Trump won*:
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/ ... 5387641858

Certification happened anyway, but it's clear their goal is just to gum up the works however they can. There need to be consequences for this.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

In some states criminal charges are an option, if the state AGs are interested.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

With regard to the Pennsylvania case, the Trump lawyers amended their motion to clarify what they are asking for, but so far as I can tell they are still only asking the appellate court to rule that the trial court judge erred in denying leave to amend. The court granted their request for an expedited briefing schedule with their brief due today at 4 p.m. and the opposition due tomorrow at 4 p.m. The court said that it would request oral argument if necessary.

I doubt it will be necessary.

Dave, do you know when the Michigan Board of Canvassers is actually supposed to meet? [Edit: never mind I found it. 1:00 p.m. And it can be watched live at www.Facebook.com/MichiganSOS.]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

The "other" Republican just said the group has a "duty" to certify the results. So that should be that.

Edit: Except he wants to hear comments from the public first. Is this some sort of filibuster tactic?
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think that they ever intended vote before public comment, so I thought Van Langevelde's objection didn't make any sense. It certainly did sound like he intends to vote to certify once they finally get to it. As for Shinkle, the little that I heard from him before I had to leave for a while sounded as whackadoodle as I expected. And what is he wearing around his neck? [Edit: I see it is his mask, which of course is doing nothing there.]
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Evidently (according to reporting on CNN) the Kremlin is calling for Trump to recognize the results of the election & concede.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Lol. Well if there's anyone he'll listen to...
Voronwë the Faithful

The head of the Michigan GOP is speaking now, demanding delay despite the fact that the law doesn't allow it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Van Langevelde is questioning John James' attorney and he certainly still sounds like he is going to certify today. We'll see whether he gets convinced otherwise.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Sooooo, for those of us not following this absurdity bit by bit, anybody care to provide a quick summary of where things stand right now? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel as far as getting the results officially declared and finalized?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Yes.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is the light, in fact, a flamethrower mounted on an incoming train?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

No.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Is the light, in fact, a flamethrower mounted on an incoming train?

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Monica Palmer, the GOP member of the Wayne County board who Trump called, is talking now in a minuet with Shinkle.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is that a typo?

Voronwë the Faithful

Is what a typo?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

minuet?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF