Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And mine.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Well, I'm off to hospital for some tests. Seems I suffered an episode of angina at work on Friday. My BP is a wee bit too high as well (170/95).

Let's hope it's nothing serious. I've been under a lot of stress lately, and hopefully it's just that catching up to me.

I'd much rather be home watching NCIS... :(
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

:( :hug:
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm so glad you're getting it checked out, Sunny!

I'll be praying for good results on the tests and a successful course of treatment decided on.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Prayers for Ber, her mother and Sunny.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

WELL, it's the home stretch for The Comic Book Guys. Construction is wrapping up from the contractor, which just leaves painting and carpet to take care of, as well as getting everythign displayed of course... We'll be starting on all of that this weekend if everythign goes well...

That means next week is goign to be rather crazy hectic with not enough time to do everything we want to get done... but it's REALLY happening now... the store will open within 2 weeks... which is simply insane...

We started planning it about 2 years ago... and when we started we had no idea it would be this big, this expensive, or involve this much anguish and work... just to get the doors open.

Somehow, though, for me... it's all going to seem worth it the first time I can hand someone the comics they've been waiting for on a Wednesday afternoon... (that's when comics come out each week ;) )

Thanks for all the support we've had here, and we'll welcome all the additional support we'll need to get through the next couple of crazy months.

In one sense, it seems like we're finally finishing something that we've been working on for so long... but in reality, things are just beginning :D
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Here's to busy, happy days for you, hal! I hope it's a grand success. :D

Berhael

Post by Berhael »

Thanks friends. It's not looking good, so any help, even prayers, are gratefully welcome.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Prayer is all I can offer, Ber, so I'll do that :hug:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thinking of you, Ber and Sunny. Hal, good luck!

Um... would you folks spare a thought for me, too? The doc is sending me for some tests, one of those "it's probably nothing but let's just make sure" type things. An active imagination is fun most of the time, but I wish it didn't listen in on this phone call. :blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can and will spare much more than a thought for you, Frelga. :hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Liddy, I am ashamed to say that I've been so out of the loop I failed to post regarding your medical problems. I hope it goes without saying (though it shouldn't, and won't) that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

And Ber...as always, my prayers, best wishes and swoons are all yours.

I wouldn't mind a few of the same (forget the swoons, though) for myself and my family. My father's Alzheimer's is worsening steadily, and the toll it is taking on my mother disturbs me no less (or rather, more) than the disease itself. She is now eighty and can no longer handle the stress of caring for a 200lb toddler. Yet she will not leave him, not even to save her own life. Her determination in this hopeless situation both depresses and inspires me.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:hug: to you, Whistler! Having been in this same situation just two years ago, I fully understand the heartbreak.

In my parent's case, my mother did finally realize she could no longer care for him at home. He could no longer dress himself, and constant pushing and prompting was required to even get him out of bed.

He spent his last year in a nursing home, wheelchair bound, then bed-bound. It was a very difficult time for everyone.

I will keep you and your parents in my thoughts and prayers.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Her dedication brings me to the edge of tears.

Love can be a tough, tough road to walk... but there's something about your parents walking it together, for all those years, in sickness and in health, no matter what, that makes me realize how powerful love really is.

Ber... I'm praying for you, friend. :hug:

Frelga... I can so identify with where you are! Pins and needles are no fun to sit on, are they? Big hugs, buddy... :hug:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Whistler, you and your family have my heartfelt best wishes. I know this situation is taking a toll on you yourself, as well as your parents. Just as your mother's hopeless dedication is inspirational, so to is your selfless dedication to being there for both of them as much as you can. Please do not think that it has gone unnoticed. You have my utmost respect and compassion.

Frelga, many :hug:s and good thoughts. I too am cursed/blessed with an active imagination. But I'm sure that it will turn out just fine.

Ber, I'm continuing to send you and your mother the best good thoughts that I can muster.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Whistler, you and Mrs. Whistler and your parents will be in my thoughts and my prayers. Voronwë said what I would have said, but he said it better. Your devotion is an inspiration.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The Alzheimer's was triggered by an attack of encephalitis that truck my father in 1980. So my mother has been tending to him, without rest and without complaint, for twenty-six years now. When she took her marriage vow of unconditional loyalty during World War II (sounds impossible!) she darn well meant it.

They have both been under my roof throughout the sickness. They have been in my house throughout my marriage (in 1994) without a word of complaint from Mrs. Whistler, who deserves better.

It's all made easier by the fact that both of them are angels incarnate. The other day I was whining about some trivial thing when my father suddenly spoke.

He has had no life for twenty-six years. Apart from us, he has no real friends. He is legally blind, so he can neither read nor watch television. He can barely walk. Despite our best efforts, his life is all sickness and agonizing boredom.

Anyway, what he said was:

You know, I was just thinking how good God is to me!

No, it wasn't the Alzheimer's talking. He's just that magnificent.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Whistler, I will offer prayers for your parents. Alzheimer's is horrible on families (my mother-in-law died of it several years ago). One of the hardest tasks is discerning how much care is needed and who should provide it. It gets to the point where one person simply can't do what needs to be done.

Ber, I continue the prayers for your mother.

Frelga, I earnestly pray that you will find inexplicable peace in the waiting and that the tests will find nothing fearful.

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I had a family member go through Dementia/Alzheimer's.
Its a tough thing to witness a loved one go through. I use to tell myself that I had the worst of it because my relation didn't really know what was going on. It may not be true but I hope it was for her sake.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Whistler, we cross-posted. I just want to add that your father truly is magnificent.

Holby, I don't know how it was for your family member, but it was scary for my mother-in-law. Toward the end she was quite scared because she had lost her bearings. She didn't recognize where she was or who she was with, even her children. She thought everyone was trying to steal from her or hurt her. She tried to persuade visitors to help her escape from the assisted care facility (which she was only in for four months before her death). It was hard for us but worse for her, I think.