The Obama Phenomenon and the 2008 Presidential Campaign

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

After doing some Googling, I'm going to be less circumspect. It is Hillary Clinton's campaign (assisted by her friend Rupert Murdoch's media empire) that is spreading this disinformation. I may well not vote for her in the general election, if she gets the nomination.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Vor:

I'm confused. I thought Rupe 'Amoeba' Murdoch's flagship US organ, Fox News, was completely Republican and pretty much in bed with Rudy Giuliani? I always thought that Bradlee's Washington Post was the Hillary! outlet.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I thought Murdoch was a Republican?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I may well not vote for her in the general election, if she gets the nomination.
And there you have it. Notwithstanding that HRC's policies are I daresay much more in line with your beliefs than any potential GOP nominee, you may stay home or vote third-party because of HRC's (probably deserved) reputation for ruthless sleaziness. This is what I meant by 'high negatives.' If the Dems had any sense (unlikely: most Demo primary campaigns resemble a circular firing squad) they should seriously push Obama- he's unthreatening (i.e. a tabula rasa) to the centrists, and would bring out the black vote in unheard-of numbers.

To lay my cards on the table: I would probably vote for Obama over any GOP opponent save McCain, unless he really pulls a stupid in the next year; but I'll write in Howard the Duck before I cast a vote for Her Rodhamness.
Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, how quickly they forget.
Rupert Murdoch Loves Hillary Clinton
Conservative Media Mogul To Host Fundraiser For Liberal N.Y. Senator

NEW YORK, May 9, 2006

(CBS) To call them a political odd couple would be a rash understatement.

Conservative media mogul Rupert Murdoch will host a fundraiser for liberal New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, the Financial Times reports.

The mating ritual of the unlikely allies has been under way for months. Clinton set political tongues to wagging last month by attending a Washington party celebrating the 10th anniversary of Fox News, the cable news channel owned by Murdoch.

The Financial Times quoted one unnamed source as describing the Clinton-Murdoch connection in this way: "They have a respectful and cordial relationship. He has respect for the work she has done on behalf of New York. I wouldn't say it was illustrative of a close ongoing relationship. It is not like they are dining out together."

The fundraiser will take place in July, the newspaper said. Clinton is the frontrunner for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, though she has not indicated whether or not she will run.

Clinton has worked hard to take the edge off her reputation as a card-carrying liberal. She has has collaborated with congressional conservatives on some peices of legislation, called for a "common ground" on abortion and cut a political figure some on the left see as decidedly un-liberal.

Clinton, who made her debut in the Senate Armed Services Committee four years ago, has never voted against any major Iraq military spending legislation. She has also taken two high-profile trips to Iraq – journeys that may have helped to strengthen the credentials of a senator with no military background or experience.

Clinton, who says she’s "always been a praying person," has moved into the territory John Edwards had hoped to claim as the moderate Democrat who cares about the average American.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/ ... 0694.shtml

Of course, the connection hasn't been mentioned once the campaign got underway in earnest. But some of us haven't forgotten.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Of course this could just be the Murdster's doing what most of the super-rich do: hedging his bets, to be on the ins with whomever wins.

For those who like devious theories, perhaps he's pushing HRC for the nomination as the easiest Dem to beat in the general election.... ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Considering the weakness of the Republican field, I would think they'd be trying everything they can think of.

(I'm not casting political aspersions; you know what I think of the Democrats. "Circular firing squad" describes this campaign really nicely. The single most successful Republican strategy is making the whole election about the problems with the Democratic candidates. And getting the Democratic candidates to buy into that and obligingly erase each other.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Circular firing squad! :rofl:

Man, I wish this were less apt!

Honestly, if I could be assured a Democratic Congress, I might be persuaded to vote for McCain.
"What a place! What a situation! What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter."

Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm frankly somewhat surprised at how unimpressed many here are with Obama. I don't know if it is simply the perceived lack of experience, or a failure to impress at the debates (which I discount completely as any reliable guide to a candidate). Everytime I have had an opportunity to hear him speak at length I have come away very impressed. Much more so than any other candidate that I have seen in recent years, including Gore, Kerry, Edwards and both Clintons. The only one that I can think that came close was Bill Bradley (who had the ideas, the honesty, and the integrity, but not the charisma).
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I think Obama is a much better choice than Clinton.

The thing I took from the debate I watched was that Obama is very intelligent, very thoughtful, and more or less a straight shooter.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that is the sense of him that I get, to. With an emphasis on "more or less". Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to be a successful politician in this day and age and be a total straight shooter.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Ms. Clinton's people might be hopping on the 'madrassa' bandwagon right now, but this story goes back to about a day after he addressed the convention in 2004, and it sure wasn't Democrats that were selling it then.
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I can't help but wonder what this says about the US public in general, that these rumours are even being put into play. It's kind of racist. Well, maybe that's the wrong word since religion and genetic background are different things. Religionist, maybe. What does it say about us and our politics that these patently false rumours can even gain a foothold? Seriously. What are we so bloody afraid of?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Furriners.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Terrists.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Wimmin.

:blackeye:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Fear itself. :)
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Democracy...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

"Demo" what?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

axordil wrote:Furriners.
Oh yeah. Those.

They're all over the world! They're in this country! There's one in my living room!!!

OMG!! We're all gonna die!!!!! :scarey:

=:)