Trump Charged With 37 counts of Espionage, Obstruction and related crimes

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Trump Charged With 37 counts of Espionage, Obstruction and related crimes

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington ("CREW") has filed an amicus brief in this case arguing that if the 11th Circuit overturns Judge Cannon's ruling that dismissed the case (because, she said, Jack Smith wasn't properly appointed), then they should also assign the case to a new judge.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

To be honest, I was pretty scornful of the amicus brief until I read Roger's thread. I still think that the likely of the case getting reassigned is closer to none than slim (particularly since the SCO has not itself requested reassignment), but they do make a good case.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

"Judge Aileen Cannon Failed to Disclose a Right-Wing Junket" (ProPublica).

This was a dinner to honor the late Justice Antonin Scalia in May 2023 at George Mason University. Federal judges are supposed to disclose attendance at events like this within 30 days. She still hasn't. As noted at the article (and probably earlier in this thread), she's done this before: in May it was reported that she'd taken trips to a conference held at a pricey Montana lodge in 2021 and 2022, neither of which she disclosed until reporters asked about it. So she can't claim about this newest revelation that she didn't realize she was required to disclose it.