Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Impeachment

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The latest twist is that there is no report that Secretary of State Pompeo was on the July 25 call between Trump and Zelensky, even though last week Pompeo denied last week having any first-hand knowledge of what was said in the call. Also, the investigating committees have subpoenaed documents from Giuliani. It will be interesting to see if he complies, and what they will do if he does not.
V, is this what you meant?
Reports: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was on the Trump-Ukraine phone call
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

God. One of the most dangerous and damaging things of Trump's presidency, IMO, has been his frequent regurgitation of random, baseless right-wing conspiracy BS. The profound mistrust and division that he has sowed is something I fear will affect our country for long after he is gone.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The latest twist is that there is no report that Secretary of State Pompeo was on the July 25 call between Trump and Zelensky, even though last week Pompeo denied last week having any first-hand knowledge of what was said in the call. Also, the investigating committees have subpoenaed documents from Giuliani. It will be interesting to see if he complies, and what they will do if he does not.
V, is this what you meant?
Reports: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was on the Trump-Ukraine phone call
Yes (despite my typo).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Well this is interesting.

State Department inspector general requests urgent briefing on Ukraine with congressional staff

This seems like this will turn out to be a significant development. Either a smoking gun or something somehow exculpatory. For what it is worth, Steve Linick has been the department IG since 2013, so he is unlikely to be Trump's or Pompeo loyalist.

This followed the news that Pompeo was trying to block the scheduled appearance of several State Department employees who were scheduled to have their depositions taken this wewk, and just says before Pompeo to scheduled to turn over subpoenaed documents. So why is the IG calling for this unprecedented urgent meeting with the congressional committees about documents when his boss was already scheduled to turn over documents?

I guess time will tell.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Ukraine surrendered Donbass today. Not sure if that decision was directly connected to any of this or not. There's probably an indirect connection in that no rational person would believe the US to be a reliable ally in this matter right now.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
yovargas wrote:I wonder how much of the right is buying their typical "accuse the accuser" act this time. Seems like that tactic would be a bit harder to get away with this time considering what actually happened is easily available and fairly straightforward.
Easily verifiable does not mean one is going to bother verifying it. Fairly straightforward is sort of like common sense - it really depends on what your mental point of view is starting from, and one can easily abandon logic if they are happy being told what to think about it. That's really the problem, IMO. Lots of people don't want to bother with verify things, they want to be told what happened and how to react to it because it makes it easier, and they are of course quite happy to believe what fits with their already established world view. We always want to accept what is most acceptable to us.

For the best proof of this, just see all the easily provably false posts shared with gleeful abandon on Facebook.
A large part of the problem is FOX news, imo. If that is all someone is listening to, they are woefully uninformed/misinformed. The Republican party is spending LOADS putting out misleading ads on Facebook,etc..

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet.. Trump's tweet calling for Civil war. This is not 'America First'. A GOP house member responded to Trump's tweet. This is dangerous.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 11.13.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 11.13.47 PM.png (66.95 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
My heart is forever in the Shire.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

RoseMorninStar wrote: A large part of the problem is FOX news, imo. If that is all someone is listening to, they are woefully uninformed/misinformed.

According to this analysis, if you are only watching FOX, the real story is mostly about Biden's supposedly shady dealings in Ukraine.
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote: A large part of the problem is FOX news, imo. If that is all someone is listening to, they are woefully uninformed/misinformed.

According to this analysis, if you are only watching FOX, the real story is mostly about Biden's supposedly shady dealings in Ukraine.
And the Democrat deep state conspiracy theory to illegally impeach the lawfully elected God-king in an attempt to thwart the results of the 2016 election and install a Democrat president. How, I'm not quite sure... butter emails...

Also: nobody is talking about child molestation/rape rings anymore... :( I guess that's old news, let's not consider how many people still alive were involved.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Rotten from the top.

A while back Nancy Pelosi said something that I have been saying for a long time: what what Trump accuses other people of is what he has been doing/has done. It's classic narcissistic behavior-they convince themselves & others that 'everyone is doing it/did it' so that it justifies their behavior. Trump has continually flaunted things he castigates others for from the minor to the serious, golfing, vacations, pay-to-play, using unsecured phones, letting everyone 'see his hand' (can't keep a secret) and worse.

If Trump goes down he will take everyone with him. Unfortunately his undoing will not be a win. Letting him continue would not be either.
Voronwë the Faithful

I am now beginning to wonder whether they will try to impeach Pompeo as well. I had to look up whether a Secretary of State can be impeached, and yes one can be. If in fact career officers in the State Department are being threatened with retaliation if they cooperate with the impeachment investigation and there are documents that confirm that Pompeo is involved, he should be impeached.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

An Attorney General can also be impeached.
Voronwë the Faithful

Stranger and stranger.

State Department inspector general gives Congress bizarre packet of 'disinformation'

I'm not sure if the point was to show that the State Department was involved in an illegal plot trying to push the investigation of Biden by Ukraine or to prove that Trump did nothing wrong because the State Department was involved in trying to push the investigation of Biden by Ukraine. :?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

From Rudy Giuliani.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

According to whom?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sorry, I edited my post (I really shouldn't post from my phone), but according to the article you provided and what I've been hearing in the news tonight.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think the State IG was trying to give Congress some heads up in case the disinformation comes up during hearings. Especially since apparently Giuliani packed this stuff up using Trump Org stationary. I have a feeling that this could end up being quite significant.

From the article:
The packet also includes internal State Department emails discussing Yovanovitch. Career officials undertook a concerted effort to shield the then-ambassador to Ukraine from conspiracies peddled by conservative media outlets beginning in March.
Yovanovitch is scheduled to get deposed by three Congressional committees next week. Volker's going up this week. I wonder if some members of Congress have bought into the nonsense that was revealed by the IG?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes I see now that Giuliani himself told CNN that at least some of the documents came from him. That wasn't in the article when I read it so it must have been updated. The man just can't shut up!

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jamie Raskin from the judiciary committee.(?) It's seems to be intended to sabotage the US ambassador to Ukraine. Unless I am misunderstanding something.

Stuff is breaking so fast one can't keep up with it.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I am very confused.
-The Decemberists