Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Trump's America

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Túrin Turambar wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:I found this video interesting. Thoughts?
I think political commentators in the U.S. are too inclined to describe policies or behaviour they disagree with as 'criminal'. But if the President has done anything illegal, I believe he should be prosecuted. Particularly if it was corrupt conduct in his own self-interest. Bush tortured people and Obama killed people with drone strikes, but you can make the argument these were done in pursuit of America's national security. But if Trump broke the law for his own personal gain, he should face the consequences.

Particularly given that he's trashing the place on his way out.
I think I've said my bit on this question, but I'd like to note in passing that the drone strikes continued under Trump. His administration just stopped telling the public about them.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump wants to continue his rallies in the time he has left. I presume the purpose of this would be to incite violence and continue on his 'it's all about me, not about the country' view instead of working on anything constructive. My question is, can this be stopped? Do the American people have to pay for this foolishness? I've heard his campaign is broke and he will no longer have a campaign staff after Nov. 15. Anyone have any enlightenment on this?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Maybe we'll see more rallies at landscape businesses...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:Maybe we'll see more rallies at landscape businesses...
Or the dildo shop...

or the crematorium.

To every time there is a (Four) season.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

At least the first person that Giuliani brought to the podium at the press conference to claim that their was fraud in the Pennsylvania ballot count wasn't a registered sex offender who resides in a state other than Pennsylvania.

*Hold on. Someone is whispering something in my ear.*

Never mind.

Man featured at Giuliani press conference is a convicted sex offender

Meanwhile, the post-election purge begins.

Trump fires Defense Secretary Mark Esper in a tweet
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Petty revenge? Is Miller competent to handle the job for a few months?
Voronwë the Faithful

He's got more relevant experience for the job than many people that Trump has appointed for various jobs. (Including, for instance, Mark Esper.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: [...]

Meanwhile, the post-election purge begins.

Trump fires Defense Secretary Mark Esper in a tweet
Esper says the following in an interview with the Military Times:

"Who's going to come in behind me? It's going to be a real 'yes' man. And then God help us."

Well, that's comforting.
Voronwë the Faithful

:scarey:
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Are you serious!?
Are people are still asking this?? :nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've been saying all along that Trump would take everything and everyone down with him should he lose. It's what narcissists do. Something from Comedy Central from a few years ago fits well here.

It's my guess people in the administration have been telling Trump he cannot go on a vengeance/violence inciting rally circuit show (at taxpayer expense) so he is firing people until he gets someone gives him what he wants.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I hope you're right about the voices in the administration, because it looks to me like the GOP is lining up behind him, same as they always do.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Somehow got invited to a Trumpshirt exodus event. Reaading the discussion was as emlightening as it was sad. To think there are 70 million of them...
I guess it won't share. Here is the headline...
NOV 14 AT 3 PM UTC+11 – NOV 14 AT 3:59 PM UTC+11
Mass exit off Facebook • November 13th!
Online Event

Anyone curious, check out 'All_trumpgirl' on facebook.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I could see that page, Snowdog. Trumpsters leaving FB? Oh! That would be lovely. All Trumpgirl reeks of a propaganda site. She's not happy because it seems her page gets fact-checked quite a lot. Hmm... I wonder why? (delusional) :roll:

Our country is in a world of hurt right now. The institutions set in place are not holding up to shameless McConnell and Mobster Don.

QAnon has gone dark since the election and it's members are wondering if they've been conned. Oh.. the stupidity.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This popped up in my Youtube recommendations, and watching it, I have to wonder - what the hell happened? How did the Republican Party go from this sort of measured and reasonable debate in a primary to the general madness we saw in 2016? Was it the media? Could it happen to the Democratic Party? Could it happen everywhere else?

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I blame the internet. I'm not entirely kidding about that either. There have always been nutcases out there, but the internet lets them synchronize their nuttery and turn it into political power. It also makes it trivially easy for bad actors anywhere in the world to put their propaganda in front of anyone they want.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Dept. of Justice review finds Alex Acosta used 'poor judgment' in Jeffrey Epstein deal

This whole saga may just be a series of coincidences, but it still baffles me that Alex Acosta, the prosecutor who gave Jeffrey Epstein a sweetheart deal, became the Labor Secretary for Epstein's long-time former friend Donald Trump.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Here's a post from All_trumpgirl's Facebook page. If you wonder why the virus is spreading so rapidly in the States, this is IT! :x
#StopTheSteal Trump Rally!!! Orange City , FL

Richard RixStar Montgomery
This is great. Make sure you don’t wear a mask.
Be like Trump’s chief of staff and Secretary Ben Carson and catch COVID at these supper spreader event and prove to the world that this is just the flu.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Scotland may finally be investigating the bizarre financial operations of Donald Trump's Scottish golf courses, into which a lot of money have been poured with very little returns.
Voronwë the Faithful

Glad to hear that.