Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

We're talking about this one, right?
Alatar wrote: Image
I think the short, cone-shaped one is a yew-tree.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Ah, I was barking up the wrong tree! Sorry, hobby. The tree I was curious about was this one:
Alatar wrote:Image
I agree that yours looks like a pine.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Within a week I will have nature pics like you dream about. Ohhhh yes precioussss!!!
You'll see. You will al see !!!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And then we'll be sorry we treated you that way!

Boy howdy!

Where are you going? Or is it a surprise?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Well, not a surprise really.
I am going to Maui on Saturday.
I will be photographing banyan trees, volcanoes, beaches, waterfalls, and most importantly babez !!!
Oh yes. Babez !!!
She is so cute too. :love:
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

And the tree Prim has in her post is not a pine by any stretch of the imagination. It may be (not likely) a fir, but it is in no way a pine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Holby, beaches, babez. . . . have fun!

Next week I will be at this beach:

My favorite in the world.

Very little sand, and no babez, but it's got caves and tide pools and whales and sea lions.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Heaven Prim !!!

Many people have a misconception of Hawaiin beaches. Most of the islands are far too young to have sandy beaches, so they truck in sand to the resorts. Most are lava benches waiting to be eroded and look quite a lot like the one in your pic. Blow holes, lava, coral....Not much sand or babez !!.

Unless you know where to find them !!! w000000000000000t !!! =:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

As you no doubt do. :)

You have a good eye—that beach is a lava bench. The vantage the photo was taken from is the core of an old volcano.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Hawaii will be swallowed up by the sea sooner than a geologist can say Jackie Robinson.
It is so new and so unstable geologically speaking.
Part of the same eruption that caused the Aleutians.
Its all about our little tiny perspective.
Hawaii (the Big Island) is the only place on the planet that is still growing.
So young and volatile still. Such an amazing place.
I will post pics.
Then all can see what this planet is really all about geologically speaking.
I suspect there may be a babe or two thrown in for good measure. I mean I'll take a beach babe over a lava bench anyday. :)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Primula Baggins wrote:It reminds me of eucalyptus, a bit, though I'm sure that's not what it is—the Irish climate would be all wrong.
Eucalyptus? I don't know what kind of eucalyptus trees they have in Oregon, but it doesn't look anything at all like the ones I've seen here in California. :scratch:
Primula Baggins wrote:Ah, I was barking up the wrong tree!
Oh, nevermind, you were talking about a different tree. :D
truehobbit wrote:Looks like a pine tree to me. :)
(They do grow to strange shapes if they have room.)

Pine tree in Scotland
It might be a pine, but like Prim said, those look like leaves rather than needles. I have to admit that it does look like that Scottish Pine.

I thought it might be some variety of oak. We have some ginormous oak trees in California, but the really big ones I've seen don't look like that.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Holbytla wrote: Many people have a misconception of Hawaiin beaches. Most of the islands are far too young to have sandy beaches, so they truck in sand to the resorts. Most are lava benches waiting to be eroded and look quite a lot like the one in your pic. Blow holes, lava, coral....Not much sand or babez !!.

Unless you know where to find them !!! w000000000000000t !!! =:)
Holby-dear, the southern shoreline of Maui is just one amazing beach after the other.

From Kaanapali:

to Kamaole:

to Keawakapu:

to Makena:

Best beaches in all the Hawaiian Islands, they is!

I am soooooo jealous. :x

But soooooo happy for you. :hug:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

While we're waiting for the Hawaii pictures, here are a couple of views from the Finnish countryside:

See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Beautiful! :love:

I've been to Norway and Sweden, but not Finland. Yet. I love the landscape in northern countries.
Alys

Post by Alys »

What lovely pictures Rowan and Alatar - beautifully green :D Last weekend we went home to visit my parents and, as usual we took far too many pictures - here are a few...

You can see some more on the Gallery at TOB if anyone is interested.

http://www.the-outer-banks.net/gallery/Alys?page=1

Lochgoilhead

Hell's Glen

Loch Fyne

My Dad's Roses

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So beautiful, Alys!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Makes me want to go there. :love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Alys, your pics make me want to visit Scotland again, and not just the cities there.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Alys

Post by Alys »

Well Voronwë, Prim and Rowan - you're all more than welcome to visit :D

Rowan maybe we'll still get round to renting that big house/castle we all used to talk about on TOB. :love:
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I also love the look of Northern Places - pity the climate there isn't as warm as I like it. :P ;)

Prim, so we were talking about different trees! :D
No idea what yours could be. I'd say it looks familiar, but I can't put a name to it. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.