Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Thank you for your prayers, everyone. :)

My father is home now and I am about to leave for my Christmas break.

Thanks again. :huggles:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

As many of you know, I started a retail business several years ago and subsequently had that business fail, costing me an admittedly large amount of money in the process. Over the last few months I have finally gotten a handle on the payments I need to make to pay off the debt I built up and should be able to climb out of the financial mess I've been in in a few years.

The result, however, is that I'm on an extremely tight budget (ok, I know I'm not as bad off as a lot of people, but gas is expensive!), and have no cushion right now. This was compounded by one of the credit card companies I am dealing with deciding to sue me, which means I have to pay fees in court, which I found out today was going to be $330 (which I have, but was planning on paying rent and buying gas and food with :) )up front just to show up and file a response to the suit... sigh.

Anyway, I know everyone's having a rough time with money these days, but I could use some prayers to reduce my stress dealing with all this :).
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sure thing, Hal. Good for you for getting a handle on it and finding a way to get clear in time. I'm sorry about the surprise fee, but more sorry about the stress. That can be the worst thing, I think. :hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Interestingly enough, while the stress is constant, the legal issues haven't been stressful, because I've been fascinated with the whole process. We'll see if that changes if I actually have any stressful situations in court. Perhaps our lawyer friends around here can help me not stress out about filing motions and such :).
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'll be praying for you, hal.

I'm sorry that I just now saw this. For some reason, it doesn't always show me when there are new posts in forums. :scratch:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

hal, did you check with the clerk about a waiver of fees? If it is a choice between paying the fees and eating and paying rent, I would think you might be eligible.

Am I gathering that you are representing yourself? That can be a pretty dangerous course of action and might end up costing you more money in the long run. If you think that the credit card company is acting unfairly, you might be able to get a consumer advocacy attorney to help you. Another alternative would be legal aid.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I am representing myself, but I'm getting help from the company I'm working with to resolve my various debts. Not "legal advice" as the disclaimers are sure to state, but they have done this a lot.

I did get the fee waiver forms, but I did not think they would apply to me when I first looked at them (and made that post). After looking at them further, I may indeed qualify.

Thanks for the prayers everyone.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hal, I am adding another voice of well wishing for your plight. Legal stuff is always stressful.

And congratulations with cleaning up your financial affairs. Once it's all over, I hope you find yourself in a much better spot for going forward. Good luck!
:foryou:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I haven't posted here before but I do send my send my prayers whenever I come accross this thread I promise :)

Anyways, I've finished my applications to graduate schools and I'm awaiting results right now and I'm really nervous. I have already gotten rejected from one grad school and my 3 friends who I applied with have already gotten offers... I realize that this is nowhere close to the issues that others face and that I am infinitely lucky to even be facing this dilemma in the first place but if anyone wants to I wouldn't mind a few more people sending positive thoughts my way. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Very much so, s'wiz. :hug:

(My son is in the same spot, although he hasn't yet heard back from any schools.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Good luck, s'wiz! I know it will work out great.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

You got it! :)
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Thanks you guys :)

Good luck to your son too Prim!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Just spoke with my sister who told me my 23 year old niece is getting a battery of tests tomorrow because her doctor suspect she may have lymphoma.

You all know I have god-issues but I very much believe in the power of sending out positive vibes and thoughts into the great, creative cosmos; of asking the universe for what we need. Could I ask, please, that positive thoughts be held out for my Courtney?

She has had such a tough time over the last 7-8 years or so and has just got her life together after dealing with drug addiction and domestic abuse. This would be such a terrible blow under any circumstances, especially so now that she has finally seen some light.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

As many good vibes as I can send, are on the way. :hug:
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Vibes I can do. :hug:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sending them now. :pray:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Vibes and light for Courtney.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you, dear friends.

I've spent the last hour researching lymphoma. I really hope it is not part of her fate.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Your poor niece! I hope they figure out what's wrong, and that it turns out to be something easier to work with than lymphoma. Holding Courtney in the Light.

:hug: