Movies on TV--wrong or merely pointless?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Movies on TV--wrong or merely pointless?

Post by axordil »

Seriously, while there are some movies that lose way too much in the translation to the living room, there are others that do just fine. It's easy to talk about the obvious reasons in both cases (spectacle vs. character-driven stuff et al), but what about the less obvious?

Example: Lawrence of Arabia. I would argue that the loss isn't only visual. but that the desert is effectively a main character, O'Toole and Sharif's co-star, and that her reduced screen presence unbalances the movie.

Anyone else have movies where the small screen versions don't work when they should, or do when they shouldn't? Or where (as with LOA, above) other things are lost than sheer size?

Thanks to Narya for jogging this out of my skull.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

All of the LOTR movies.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I agree on the Lawrence of Arabia example - that's what I always think of when I think big vs little screen. Gone with the Wind is another one that benefited from a wide screen for the wide shots.

I disagree on the LOTR movies. They are a private obsession for me. I disliked being in a movie house with heretics and agnostics who giggled at all the wrong times, or held whispered conversations behind my back. Each stray noise took me out of the magic.

There are some movies I won't see in the movie house, because I know the violence will be too overwhelming for my nervous system. So I wait until they come out on video, and watch them on my laptop (I don't have a functional TV). I did that recently with "Flags of our Fathers". I know war is hell, and don't need to watch relentless 30 minute scenes driving that point home. But the dialog during the non-action scenes was worth while, so I skimmed through to those.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Yes, but annoying would-be fans aside, I think the effect is lost on the small screen.

Gandalf riding to the aid of Helms Deep on Shadowfax looks better, for example, on big screen.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Crucifer wrote:Yes, but annoying would-be fans aside, I think the effect is lost on the small screen.

Gandalf riding to the aid of Helms Deep on Shadowfax looks better, for example, on big screen.
No, it doesn't. It shows up the insanity of pretending an army of horsemen could ride down that slope.

Sorry.

A sore point with me.
Dig deeper.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

That too! The horses would all slip on the shale and gravel! Doesn't it drive you MAD!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's FANTASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :x :x :x :rage: :rage: :rage: :x :rage: :rage: :x :rage: :x :rage: :x :x :rage:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Fantasy or no, there are some things horses cannot do.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

There are things eagles can't do, either. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Yes, but those were giant eagles. Then again, the horses were thingumajigs... meyeres (I can't remember how to spell it! :oops: I read it YESTERDAY)

*runs of to hide under the table*
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<raps on table with thimble>

Do come out. We won't bite.

I think it's "Mearas," but I may be wrong and I probably left out a diacritical mark or two, or three.

As for yov's point, fantasy is not a world with no rules; it's a world with different rules. The fewer differences, the better. Where's the drama if characters can do impossible things simply because that particular bit of the story requires it? If Gandalf could have flown up out of the pit in Moria? If the Eagles could or would have carried the Ring to the Fire?

From what I see, writing fantasy requires close attention to reality, or the reader/viewer won't see the magic, the different rules, as important. So, better not to have horses doing impossible things just to get a single dramatic sequence of shots.

I find it much more exciting when characters do something that is almost impossible than when they magically do the impossible.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Hear hear

*he cries from under the table*

Promise you won't hurt me?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

People do all sorts of ridiculously impossible things in mythical moments. The Greeks did it all the time and so does the Bible (for those who believe it's myth) and so does Tolkien (in the Sil, particularly). Three days running without food or sleep? :roll: Examining the reality of those situations seems so entirely, frustratingly besides the point to me.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Mearas are different than horses. Horses don't come when you call. Especially when you call from half way across Middle Earth.
Crucifer wrote:Hear hear

*he cries from under the table*

Promise you won't hurt me?
Crucifer is a guy? Oops. :oops:
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I thought mearas were special horses...
So they could perhaps hear halfway across rohan and gallop down a very dodgy slope.

narya, you're not the first. :hug:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[OT]When people used to commonly mistake me for being female in my earlier days on TORC, I always took it as a compliment[/OT]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Yeah. I think I will too.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

What, mistake Voronwë for female? :whistle:

Actually, for him, er her, it should be a :drummer:

Anyway. :D

Sometimes a movie loses AND gains something in the transition. I'm thinking of Moulin Rouge, for example, where the loss of the massive phantasmagoria on screen is balanced by the fact that with the visual volume turned down from 11 it's easier to care about the characters a bit more, at least for me.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I had a similar result with the LotR films, I think; I find I enjoy them as much or more on the small screen, because it produces a shift in focus from the spectacle to the characters. The beautiful images are still there, but in a more proper proportion, to my mind. And the bits that were over the top or in-your-face more than I liked are toned down.

I agree with narya, too: there's a lot to be said for enjoying the LotR films alone or with a small and appreciative group. I saw them all numerous times in theaters and several times was tempted to murder by running commentary and idiot questions nearby.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Shadowfax was a "Mearas", the others were common horses.

If they had suddenly flown, it wouldn't have annoyed me: that would be magic.

But as a former horsewoman, I cannot stand to see those horses supposedly being galloped ventre a terre down a horse-killing slope. Most of them would have broken their legs! The scene would have been far more impressive if they hadn't CGI'd it into a monstrosity.

Like almost everything else PJ has done.

:rage:
Dig deeper.