Appellate Appearances (Was Appearance before 9th Circuit ...

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Primula_Baggins wrote:But trial lawyers want jurors who can be swayed by emotion. :P
And somewhat unintelligent ones it seems.

I remember getting myself out of jury duty by appearing to be quite rational and able use logic. The prosecution didn't like me. :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Anthriel wrote:So it's a two step process, then. Prove there was a breach of protocol resulting in his unnecessary... and possibly illegal?... arrest, and then demonstrate how much the experience harmed him, in order to assess an amount of compensation.

Right?
Yes ... essentially. Any any civil action, one of the essential elements that needs to be proven is that the plaintiff suffered harm. But in some cases harm is de facto assumed to have occurred, including cases alleging violation of a constitutional right. But it is still necessary to prove specifically how much harm has been caused in order to allow the jury to assess an amount of compensation.
And somewhat unintelligent ones it seems.

I remember getting myself out of jury duty by appearing to be quite rational and able use logic. The prosecution didn't like me.
Quite right, Eru. That is very common. I often warn my clients that a jury often consists of the lowest common denominator, and that if a case requires the jury to make certain inferences in order to find the defendant liable (which is often true in the employment cases that I normally handle), it might be difficult to get the jury to do so (no matter how carefully I explain). That is one reason why I encourage settling cases before trial (even if it means accepting less money then we might otherwise receive).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mr. Prim has dutifully reported for jury duty several times, but only got onto a jury once. It's that dang Ph.D.

The jury I was on seemed reasonably intelligent, but then it was a straightforward criminal case, and neither lawyer seemed terribly interested. If I had to guess, I would say that the defense lawyer wanted his client to agree to a plea bargain and the client refused (and was nailed for it—the evidence really didn't give us any choice).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Of course, if we do prevail in the appeal, and then prevail at trial, the City will be liable for paying me for all of that time (which will likely come to several hundred thousand dollars) even if the damages that my client is awarded is relatively small. Why is that? Because the Congress has deemed that it is important enough to encourage attorneys to represent people who's constitutional rights have been violated to make worth the attorneys while to do so (if they win the case).
I was wondering how that worked. Thanks. I have a friend who sues mining companies for violations of the Clean Water Act, that Act has provisions allowing citizens to act as private attorney general (again, I'm assuming because Congress deemed it important that local citizens harmed by actions can sue a polluter).

Anthy, you can think like a lawyer. It's a multistep process, making sure that there is evidence for every element, and considering each fact in in its proper place. Kind of like following a protocol in a laboratory and interpreting the results. ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can see that it would be a similar process. But with a different twist, because it's a lawyer's job to build a case to support a particular conclusion, rather than to follow the evidence wherever it leads. The fact that scientists are trained to do the latter is probably why they're undesirable on juries. :P

(I don't mean that the truth doesn't matter to lawyers—just that facts that help the case must be emphasized and facts that don't, minimized. Scientists call this cherry-picking, and it can get them in a lot of trouble.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

just that facts that help the case must be emphasized and facts that don't, minimized. Scientists call this cherry-picking, and it can get them in a lot of trouble
This is so true, Prim! :) I remember in my first legal writing class, as a 1L, I didn't do well because I had been trained to write as a scientist for so many years (passive voice, allowing the facts to suggest the conclusion, very tentatively stating said conclusion and qualifying the results). Needless to say, that did not work when trying to write persuasively as a lawyer!

Prim, there are situations where you need to follow the evidence wherever it leads as a lawyer. In addition to writing persuasively, lawyers also have to write memos for clients that analyze the law and give an opinion as to how one's particular case might turn out. In that situation, you need to research the case law most similar to your case (case law, meaning previously decided cases), and analyze the law and facts of these previous cases in light of your own set of facts, and predict a likely outcome. You don't want to be persuasive here.

In my practice, I'll take "marks" that someone wants to register on the Federal Register of Trademarks and do research with respect to the registrability of the mark. Then give the client the good/bad news (usually the more committed they are to a mark, the more difficult it will be to register :help: ). Also, we research "patentability" of an invention by researching "prior art", i.e., whether this invention has been disclosed in (or is obvious over) the public domain or the patent application databases. In both situations, clients appreciate full disclosure. :)

Edited to add: not only do clients appreciate full disclosure, they are likely to sue you for malpractice for not advising them of the odds that are stacked against them :scarey:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That actually sounds like fun, Ellie! :D (Not the being-sued bit, the research.) But yes, of course—to give clients realistic advice, you've got to present it all objectively.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, but on the other hand, often clients don't want to hear anything that makes their case seem less viable. Those are the situations where it is most important to make the pitfalls clear to them. (And, whereever possible, to avoid taking on their cases. :))
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Yes, Prim, I really like what I do. The problem is the venue in which I do my work. Law firms. A typical law firm is a truly nasty place to work when you are a green lawyer. "Sweatshop" comes to mind. I'm lucky in that I've finally found a good law firm home. :love:

Voronwë, luckily, we almost exclusively represent corporations. They are, for the most part, somewhat rational. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

For some reason, I remembered about this yesterday and was curious if anything has happened since last we heard.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

We lost. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Do'h!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:x

:hug:
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I'm sorry, Voronwë. :(
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Sorry Voronwë. At least you knew going into it that it was a longshot.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:We lost. :)
That's too bad. From the presentation that you gave here, I thought that it was pretty clear that his rights had been violated.

He could have been any one of us.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Voronwë the Faithful

Ellienor wrote:Sorry Voronwë. At least you knew going into it that it was a longshot.
I had another today in court-appointed criminal case in the California Court of Appeal, Sixth District, that was even worse. One of the justices actually said to me "I don't know how you can even argue that!

:shock: :help: :shock:

I guess it builds toughness. And God knows I need that. And anyone in this case I largely agreed with his conclusion (although he was greatly exxagerating the facts of the case), so it wasn't too upsetting.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I'm sorry you didn't win V. :( You sure had my vote. I think the evidence was too iffy. But I applaud your efforts I know that if you couldn't win it no one could.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I had another today in court-appointed criminal case in the California Court of Appeal, Sixth District, that was even worse. One of the justices actually said to me "I don't know how you can even argue that!
"Because, Your Honor, I'm TRYING to do the best I can for a client that I have voluntarily taken on despite his (or her) personal inability to compensate me, because I'm a good and ethical attorney, and maybe there's just not a super duper dazzling argument to make, but I'd rather put forward SOME argument on behalf of my client than roll over and play dead?"
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

See, this is why I could never be a lawyer... because I'm certain, if I got to that point... I'd LITERALLY roll over and play dead.
Last edited by halplm on Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995