The LotR Trivia Boardgame thread

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Anyone know what's become of Alatar? It's not like him to disappear for several days without saying something. Did I miss something?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Nope...I was beginning to wonder as well, V. I just checked on 77 and he hasn't been around there since Weds last. (18th) I hope everything is okay...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry guys, I was in London. Will check V's answer when I get home, but I think.... its correct....
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That's a relief! I remember now you mentioned an upcoming trip to London...shame it was too late for the John Martin exhibition, though! :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Glad you were some place fun! You've just spoiled us, is all.

As for my answer being correct, that would be a hoot, since it was an educated guess at best. If so, I'll stand pat and others play some more.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So, I checked, and yep! Good guess V! You move to Gorgoroth!

Your go Inanna:

Who said that his death lay beyond the door to the Paths of the Dead?

Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Halbarad

Code: Select all

Players:

Elen (Moderate)
  Voronwë (Expert)
* Inanna (Moderate)
  Holbytla (Expert)
  CosmicBob (Moderate)
  Ethelwynn (Moderate)

Retired:
Wampus (Moderate)
Samaranth (Moderate)

|---------+------+------------+-----------------+-----------+-------+------------+
| Bag End | Bree | Weathertop | Ford of Bruinen | Rivendell | Moria | Lothlórien |
|---------+------+------------+-----------------+-----------+-------+------------+
|         |      |            |                 |           |       |            |
|         |      |            |                 |           |       |            |

|------------+----------+-----------+----------+--------------+-----------+------------|
| The Anduin | Amon Hen | Emyn Muil | Ithilien | Cirith Ungol | Gorgoroth | Mount Doom |
|------------+----------+-----------+----------+--------------+-----------+------------|
|            |          |CB, Ethel  | Inanna   | Elen, Holby  | Voronwë   |            |
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I don't know. Likely Aragorn, since he was the one who had to go - but he was kind of confident that he would prevail over the dead. Could be Gimli too, he was really scared of entering the Paths of the Dead. Definitely not Legolas. Halbarad was one of Dúnedain, who went with Aragorn, so it could be him as well.

So....Aragorn, Gimli, or Halbarad.

I don't think Gimli said anything out loud about his fear, until after - when they were telling Merry and Pippin in Gondor.

So, Aragorn or Halbarad. :(

I'll hazard a guess --> Aragorn.

If I am right, I will go again.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Would that have been my next question had I elected to go for the win? Or would you have chosen a different one?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry Inanna, it was Halbarad.

Voronwë, I'm keeping back particularly tricky questions for Mount Doom!

Holby, your question:

Which horse did Merry ride from Edoras to Minas Tirith?

Players:

Elen (Moderate)
  Voronwë (Expert)
  Inanna (Moderate)
* Holbytla (Expert)
  CosmicBob (Moderate)
  Ethelwynn (Moderate)

Retired:
Wampus (Moderate)
Samaranth (Moderate)

| Bag End | Bree | Weathertop | Ford of Bruinen | Rivendell | Moria | Lothlórien |

| The Anduin | Amon Hen | Emyn Muil | Ithilien | Cirith Ungol | Gorgoroth | Mount Doom |
|            |          |CB, Ethel  | Inanna   | Elen, Holby  | Voronwë   |            |
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Only name I can think of is Stybba, but that was the pony's name. Not sure what "Dernhelm's" horse was named. And no it wasn't Brego.
I'm sure the answer is to be found when she meets the Witch King, but I can't remember.
No guess either.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I remember the name of Éowyn's horse!

..but I can't remember if Dernhelm rode a different horse as "he" was in disguise... Image
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry Holby, the correct answer was Windfola

CB, your question:

Of what did Galadriel warn Legolas in her message?

Mind the Gap of Rohan
Beware of the Sea
Take care when crossing the Isen
Watch out for Oliphaunts!

:)
Voronwë the Faithful

The makers of this game certainly had a sense of humour.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:rofl:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Alatar wrote:Sorry Holby, the correct answer was Windfola

CB, your question:

Of what did Galadriel warn Legolas in her message?

Mind the Gap of Rohan
Beware of the Sea
Take care when crossing the Isen
Watch out for Oliphaunts!

I am reasonably certain it was "Beware of the Sea".

I will go again.

Mind the Gap of Rohan, indeed!
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

The Gap of Rohan doesn't worry me nearly so much as the Plumber's Crack of Minas Morgul.
Bite off more than you can chew. Then, chew it. Ask for seconds.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Correct CB!

Next question:

Who did Grima truly serve while counsellor to Théoden?

Saruman
Sauron
The Nazgûl
Ugluk
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Saruman!

I am going to stop here at Cirith Ungol because I sense a really nasty question coming up.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Correct. :)

Ethel, your question:

With whom did Gimli quarrel about Galadriel?

Hama
Théoden
Éomer
Éowyn

Players:

Elen (Moderate)
  Voronwë (Expert)
  Inanna (Moderate)
  Holbytla (Expert)
  CosmicBob (Moderate)
* Ethelwynn (Moderate)

Retired:
Wampus (Moderate)
Samaranth (Moderate)

|            |          |    Ethel  | Inanna   | Elen, H & CB | Voronwë   |            |
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

That would be Éomer. I'll go again if I'm right.
Bite off more than you can chew. Then, chew it. Ask for seconds.