Critical Reception of The Hobbit: AUJ [Massive SPOILERS!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It's not a question of being an expert, hal. The things that he complains about show a lack of appreciation of Tolkien, not of Jackson. Such as complaining about showing the Dwarves as miners, and other background history of the Dwarves. So much of what makes Tolkien so great is the depth of his stories.
I don't think he complains about the inclusion of the background. Rather, it was about beginning the movie with it, instead of Tolkien's iconic quote.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

But the film does apparently begin with Tolkien's iconic quote. And his description of the scene as "an interminable narrative detour" and "details of dwarf family trees that are of interest, at this early stage in what is supposed to be a family film, to almost nobody" show that he is not just complaining about the placement in the beginning but including so much detail.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:But the film does apparently begin with Tolkien's iconic quote. And his description of the scene as "an interminable narrative detour" and "details of dwarf family trees that are of interest, at this early stage in what is supposed to be a family film, to almost nobody" show that he is not just complaining about the placement in the beginning but including so much detail.
Has it been confirmed that the film starts with "In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit?" If so, that would be delightful news.
Voronwë the Faithful

It has definitely been confirmed that it is there, but I am unclear as to just how close to the very beginning it is. Let me see what I can dig up.

Of course, when Alatar shows up he can answer, but it looks that won't be until at the earliest tomorow morning, Irish time.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:But the film does apparently begin with Tolkien's iconic quote. And his description of the scene as "an interminable narrative detour" and "details of dwarf family trees that are of interest, at this early stage in what is supposed to be a family film, to almost nobody" show that he is not just complaining about the placement in the beginning but including so much detail.
Has it been confirmed that the film starts with "In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit?" If so, that would be delightful news.
According to that review:
The book begins with the unimprovable ten-word opening sentence: “In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit.” Jackson, by contrast, starts with an interminable narrative detour about a mining operation run by a team of dwarfs, involving magic crystals, orc armies and details of dwarf family trees that are of interest, at this early stage in what is supposed to be a family film, to almost nobody.
Now, to take this last chance at unbridled speculation, this may not be a BAD decision by PJ. It is similar to how FOTR started with an epic prologue, which certainly only added to the subsequent move to the Shire. Besides, we've seen the Shire.

But I do have to say that the few reviews I read raise similar concerns - the say the movies are overstuffed with superfluous material, overblown action scenes and boring background information. I suppose I will see in a few weeks how much of it I agree with.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Frelga wrote:
Shelob'sAppetite wrote:
According to that review:
The book begins with the unimprovable ten-word opening sentence: “In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit.” Jackson, by contrast, starts with an interminable narrative detour about a mining operation run by a team of dwarfs, involving magic crystals, orc armies and details of dwarf family trees that are of interest, at this early stage in what is supposed to be a family film, to almost nobody.
Now, to take this last chance at unbridled speculation, this may not be a BAD decision by PJ. It is similar to how FOTR started with an epic prologue, which certainly only added to the subsequent move to the Shire. Besides, we've seen the Shire.

But I do have to say that the few reviews I read raise similar concerns - the say the movies are overstuffed with superfluous material, overblown action scenes and boring background information. I suppose I will see in a few weeks how much of it I agree with.
I know I will love the flashbacks, etc, as they give depth to the world (something Tolkien can do with a simple line or two, really does need to be visualized on film in order to achieve the same effect). However, I am 100% certain that I will cringe often at PJ's over-the-top (and now super-CGI) action scenes. The Goblintown clip we saw looks atrocious.
Voronwë the Faithful

Telemachos wrote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Is "In a hole in a ground ... [ect., etc}" said at the very beginning of the film? If not, where is it placed?

Thanks again!
It's not at the very beginning, but it's early on.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Telemachos wrote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Is "In a hole in a ground ... [ect., etc}" said at the very beginning of the film? If not, where is it placed?

Thanks again!
It's not at the very beginning, but it's early on.
Got it. I imagine Ian Holm will say the line as he starts to read from the book to Frodo, which will probably then fade or cut to Freeman as Bilbo, smoking on the bench.
Voronwë the Faithful

An excellent review with a knowledgable and balanced assessment of the film's strengths and weaknesses and perhaps the best discussion of the HFR that I have seen.

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/the-hobbit-an ... ey-review/

Inched back up to 75%.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:An excellent review with a knowledgable and balanced assessment of the film's strengths and weaknesses and perhaps the best discussion of the HFR that I have seen.

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/the-hobbit-an ... ey-review/

Inched back up to 75%.
Having not seen 48fps, how do you know his discussion of it is the best? :)

For example, he says the following:
The claim that the film looks less cinematic (“like TV” was a regular complaint) is a false one.
How, exactly, can that claim be "false," if it is the perception of a viewer we are talking about? If it looks like TV to a number of people, then it looks like TV to those people! And speaking from experience (though limited to a documentary-style production) I also find that 48fps reminds me of TV. In particular, BBC TV from the 70s.
Voronwë the Faithful

Review: The Hobbit Is Insanely Gorgeous at 48 Frames Per Second

Probably not very surprising that the folks at Wired like the new technology. They like the film alot, too.
Voronwë the Faithful

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:Having not seen 48fps, how do you know his discussion of it is the best? :)
Because he says what I want to hear, of course!

:llama:
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, RT has now switched the Slate review to rotten, and it is now down to 71%. And an abysmal 1 out of 7 of the "top critics".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Anthony Lane at the New Yorker quite liked it—his review is not a rave, but has an affectionate tone even when carping, and he clearly is familiar with the book (he refers to his "worn paperback" and writes knowledgeably about Tolkien and LotR). I expect that one will come up "fresh." (He singles out both Freeman and Armitage for special praise.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

However, do not read The New Yorker's article about why The Hobbit (edit: book) is better than The Lord of the Rings:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... rings.html

I'm conflicted about the extent to which the author is deliberately trolling.
Last edited by Dave_LF on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Primula Baggins wrote:Anthony Lane at the New Yorker quite liked it—his review is not a rave, but has an affectionate tone even when carping, and he clearly is familiar with the book (he refers to his "worn paperback" and writes knowledgeably about Tolkien and LotR). I expect that one will come up "fresh." (He singles out both Freeman and Armitage for special praise.)
In my view, Lane doesn't have the best eye for film. But I am delighted that he seems to have liked it!
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Meanwhile, RT has now switched the Slate review to rotten, and it is now down to 71%. And an abysmal 1 out of 7 of the "top critics".
Anthony Lane's will at least change that a bit.

I am getting the sense that some of the "top" reviewers finally feel they can bare their anti-fantasy teeth on this one, and that this is contributing to some of the extremely negative responses. I just can't believe how many times "leisurely pace" has been derided thus far. Most of these reviewers loved some of the most leisurely films out there, such as most of Malick's work. Why do they find it inappropriate in fantasy?
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is Lane's review: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/c ... inema_lane

Quite a nice read, although I hope I disagree with him about Radagast.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sorry for not linking it! I subscribe, so I figured others might not be able to see it online.

I hope I disagree about Radagast too, although it's not a dealbreaker for me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I was little surprised that I was able to read it. The Times of London has what seems to be a good review, but it actually is only available to subscribers.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/film ... 625874.ece