Desolation of Smaug trailers (SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

Smaug's voice wrote:
yovargas wrote:Thing
is, if that were really true, HFR would've taken over as the format of
choice a long time ago, just like CDs clearly took over LPs. But they
didn't.
If you'd said that LPs would be extinct today at *that* time, you'd have been considered a fool.
But LP's are not extinct today. Many bands are releasing their new music on LP format, because it still is as good as CD. Personally I prefer the tone of something on vinyl compared to the sterile sound of CD.
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The interesting thing is, the "Benny Hill effect" is created not by speeding the film up, but by dropping frames. Since a fairly large number of people used that exact comparison, it makes me think that some individual projectors have or had technical issues that caused frames to be dropped, or that they had trouble maintaining an even framerate. An alternative explanation is that some brains or eyes do essentially the same thing.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hmmm? I would be tempted to latch on to that as an explanation, but I'm not sure that it would stand up to scrutiny. The test would be whether the majority of people at certain showings all experienced problems, or whether the issue was fairly evenly distributed between showings.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Brazilian TV spot (the very beginning looks new):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5FTIbUvwk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

That first shot of Laketown in the early morning has people huddled on a bridge, and other large crowds strewn throughout the city, looking towards...something.

Might this be a "dragon is coming" scene, from the very end of the film?
Voronwë the Faithful

I didn't dare think that.
Passdagas the Brown

Why not?
Voronwë the Faithful

I want Smaug killed in this film, and most signs seemed to be pointing the opposite direction. If it really is a dragon is coming scene, it would suggest that the Laketown battle will happen in this film.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I want Smaug killed in this film.
:( :( Why me?
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
Passdagas the Brown

Perhaps his voice (and eye) will live on... ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

:rage:
Passdagas the Brown

Smauron cometh! :bow:

Resistance (and denial) is futile.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Hmmm? I would be tempted to latch on to that as an explanation, but I'm not sure that it would stand up to scrutiny. The test would be whether the majority of people at certain showings all experienced problems, or whether the issue was fairly evenly distributed between showings.
That is quite true. Is there anyone here who got the Benny Hill effect from HFR? Do you also get it from the trailers linked upthread?
Passdagas the Brown

I got the effect for the whole film (in HFR, of course) at a cinema in Virginia.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

And does the online HFR trailer do the same thing?
Passdagas the Brown

Dave_LF wrote:And does the online HFR trailer do the same thing?
Yes, precisely the same effect.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

That's surprising to me. With 3d, for example, there is a "trick" to seeing the effect, and it's not particularly unexpected to learn that different people get different results when they perform that trick. But HFR just means more information density. I wouldn't have predicted that there would be any significant difference in individual perceptions of it (though of course tastes will vary and some people will like the effect more than others), but there it is.
Last edited by Dave_LF on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Which HFR trailer are you referring to?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

There have already been a lot of posts since then, but here it is:
Dave_LF wrote:Software interpolated HFR, I should mention, but it still looks pretty close to the real thing (for my money) and certainly gives you an accurate impression of the difference if you've never seen it.

ETA: And here is that link:
http://www.hfrmovies.com/high-frame-rat ... le-videos/