There and Back Again Anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Pickups...Also known as "when PJ adds a bunch of horrible stuff because he has the budget for it." :)
We'll be lucky if there is much finished to be shown at Comic-Con at this rate with so much relying on CGI post-production... :roll:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elentári wrote:We'll be lucky if there is much finished to be shown at Comic-Con at this rate with so much relying on CGI post-production... :roll:
Has there been any indication that there is a planned presentation at Comic-con this year?

(For the record, I don't share the doom and gloom of the three of you and others about pick-ups, and believe that it can be as much a force for good as bad.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

(For the record, I don't share the doom and gloom of the three of you and others about pick-ups, and believe that it can be as much a force for good as bad.)
"Go home Sam", for example, was worse before pickups. Yes, it's still not good, but at least Frodo isn't screaming at him.

And I'm not completely sure about this (it might have been changed earlier), but I think the Crack of Doom got a major change for the better in pickups. It went from "Frodo pushes Gollum over the edge" to "Frodo tries to take the Ring back and they both fall over."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I'm sure there can be improvements in pickups, and I think the LOTR examples are strong ones in favor. But with the Hobbit, it seems as if PJ is using pickups to really amp up the bloat.

I didn't mind that bloat in DoS as much as others did, but I can't help but fear that PJ is going to fall over the edge of acceptability with TABA. He's probably the least disciplined director in movie-making today. That can either lead to a lot of fun at the movies (as it did with DoS, IMO) or a disaster.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I agree with PtB (except for a few bits, as always! :D).
With LotR - PJ's hands were tied with budget, time and technological restrictions.
With the hobbit however, not only has he time to include more bloated stuff, he can literally remove complete characters or scenes and make them into something different thanks to the cheap technology.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Has there been any indication that there is a planned presentation at Comic-con this year?
Nothing mentioned as yet, but there was a lot of criticism of them missing SDCC last year with DoS, and the belief that promotion of the movie suffered due to the non-appearance. I would think PJ would want to get something viewable for it this time round. He did manage a few brief clips of new scenes for CinemaCon recently, didn't he?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Elen, the material shown at Cinema-con from TABA was reportedly very, very limited. It was mostly a compilation of material from the past five films.

Regarding pick-ups, for the most part, we don't really know what was done in the past, except for a few isolated reports that people take and blow out of proportion. For myself, I'm glad that they moved the release date of TABA so that Jackson has sufficient time to complete the movie that he wants to make, and I am predicting here and now (and for the first time) that TABA will be the best of the six Middle-earth films.

There. How's that for going out on a limb.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Not best of the six, but I certainly think it has a very big chance to be the best of the TH films.

And I will also predict that PtB will like it less - probably much less - than DOS. Though, I really hope I am wrong here. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree with the latter prediction. And with the hope.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Elen, the material shown at Cinema-con from TABA was reportedly very, very limited. It was mostly a compilation of material from the past five films.
Yes, I knew that, but I also thought there was a couple of shots that were new? Perhaps I was mistaken but I thought there was mention of dialogue between Bard and Legolas?

The fact that he has so little to show (if he does actually want to reveal anything) so far, to my mind reinforces the point about being so heavily reliant on CGI.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, the report said:
Peter Jackson, who is in post-production on the move in Wellington, sent a taped message to cinema exhibitors at the convention, introducing a look back at his entire Middle-earth journey, with just a few precious seconds of footage from There and Back Again revealed at the end.

In the new footage, Bard the Bowman (Luke Evans) was seen asking Legolas (Orlando Bloom), “What is it you know?” To which the elf replied, “Nothing for certain. It’s what I fear may come.”

After that flashed brief scenes of battle, heroism from the likes of Bard and elf Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly), dwarf leader Thorin (Richard Armitage) wandering through what appeared to be thick strands of golden rope and a gold-clad Elrond (Hugo Weaving) drawing his sword and charging, while a voiceover from Gandalf warned: “The time is upon us, we all must choose what side we’re on.”
Passdagas the Brown

Expectations: low
Chance of being pleasantly surprised: medium
Voronwë the Faithful

PtB, this is going to be the worst film ever. The worst of the worst. Bilbo won't be making more than a cameo. And there will be 8 separate ten minute long slow motion death scenes. Don't even bother going to see it.

:P
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Ahem...let me try.

The things that will happen in TABA to put off PtB.

1) no still cameras. The camera will be constsntly moving. Swooping in, zooming out, rotating around the battle scenes or Smaug's destruction or Dol Guldur.
2) Legolas will bring down a bat and surf him. He has surfed in every film he has been. No reason to believe he wont in this one. ;)
3) Tauriel will die in Kili's arms. Extremely sloppy scene full of cringe and melodramatism.
4) As with the battle scenes, the film will have full on blaring music.
5) Melodramatic death of Thorin. Who knows, PJ might not even include Thorin's final words.
6) I also hear Fran Walsh won't be contributing in the script due to personal life. So that leaves PJ and Boyens! :shock:
7) And to finish off we have the Enya song to complete the nastiness.

So I believe there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for you to await TABA, PtB.
;)
Passdagas the Brown

I've already put up my review of TABA on IMDB. "Hated it!"
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

You forgot the Necromancer creating Undead Smaug as the Bo5A! ;)
Hidden text.
Actually, a small part of me is scared that it could happen.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Smaug's voice wrote:The things that will happen in TABA to put off PtB.
<snip>
Smaug's destruction or Dol Guldur.
First time I read this as "Smaug's destruction of Dol Guldur." That would probably do it. :shock:
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Has there been any indication that there is a planned presentation at Comic-con this year?
Nothing mentioned as yet, but there was a lot of criticism of them missing SDCC last year with DoS, and the belief that promotion of the movie suffered due to the non-appearance. I would think PJ would want to get something viewable for it this time round. He did manage a few brief clips of new scenes for CinemaCon recently, didn't he?
RA addresses this in his recent interview with TORN's Greendragon:
GD: Are we likely to see you at any conventions this year? I'm hoping we can persuade you to come to DragonCon in Atlanta!

RA: Well I have to find out when they are - I haven't heard of anything in the imminent future. I think we're definitely going to go to [San Diego] ComicCon; we're definitely going to be there this year.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Has there been any indication that there is a planned presentation at Comic-con this year?
TORn has posted a lengthy interview with Richard Armitage, and he does in fact mention that
I think we're definitely going to go to [San Diego] ComicCon; we're definitely going to be there this year.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Ha! Look above your post. ;)