It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:03 am 
Meanwhile...

:hug: Have some well-earned sweet dreams, Prim!

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm 
not something I would recommend

If you are an eighth grade girl, have ever been an eighth grade girl, have ever known an eighth grade girl, or are currently alive, I highly recommend this little movie, Eighth Grade.

One of the most poignant, sweet, loving, heartbreaking movies I can ever recall. It will definitely be among my favorites of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm 
of Vinyamar

Netflix?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm 

Sorry, meant to post to the trailer:

No Netflix for now. One of those small movies that probably only plays arthouse friendly movie theaters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:07 pm 
Meanwhile...

yovargas wrote:
If you ... have ever been an eighth grade girl

then reliving the eighth grade is right at the top of your nope list.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm 

As someone who has seen the movie - THIS IS NOT AN UNREASONABLE REACTION.
As I said in a mini-review elsewhere, the movie will break your heart - but then it will put it back together.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:18 pm 

Went to see the new Mission Impossible last night. It's rightfully getting a ton of praise for it's very impressive action set pieces and daring stuntwork, but somehow I found the whole thing more tedious and exhausting then thrilling.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:13 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

I’m not surprised. My immediate reaction to a friends suggestion to see that movie: Yuck.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm 

yovargas wrote:
Went to see the new Mission Impossible last night. It's rightfully getting a ton of praise for it's very impressive action set pieces and daring stuntwork, but somehow I found the whole thing more tedious and exhausting then thrilling.

The same could be said for many of the current crop of action movies. Everyone's getting burned out by the endless fights and chases. :(

How about some...I dunno...character development? More plot, fewer plot holes?

Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:34 pm 
of Vinyamar

There's room for both. Based on the box office numbers I think its pretty clear not everyone is burned out by action movies! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 pm 
Living in hope

I do know that the fifty-minute nonstop battles are more than I can take or even follow, particularly with a cast of dozens of superheroes. Black Panther was a little more restrained, with characters I cared about, and I had a great time watching it.

I would mention the new Planet of the Apes movies as SF action that is about characters. I found the first two quite powerful, look forward to finding time to see the third. But of course, they have Andy Serkis at the center. I hope I live to see him win a damn Oscar.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm 

Alatar wrote:
I think its pretty clear not everyone is burned out by action movies! :)

Including me! I'm not complaining about too much action in general, but somehow this one didn't feel fun to me despite generally being well done. YMMV!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 pm 
Meanwhile...

The problem with modern action movies is that they are basically cartoons. So much of it
is computer generated that the action sequences are no longer limited by human physical capabilities. Or physics. Very occasionally, the visuals are sufficiently imaginative to make up for it, as in Avatar.

It's why I like Jackie Chan movies, where he does most of the stunts and I can be amazed at his physicality. Also one of the reasons Mad Max: Fury Road was impressive, with the real vehicles and the guy really playing a real flamethrowing guitar.

But cartoons can be fun to watch, too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:34 pm 

Frelga wrote:

It's why I like Jackie Chan movies, where he does most of the stunts and I can be amazed at his physicality. Also one of the reasons Mad Max: Fury Road was impressive, with the real vehicles and the guy really playing a real flamethrowing guitar.

And why Mission Impossible is getting so much praise - Tom Cruise is doing all these super crazy stunts for real and it really is super impressive. I think part of the problem may just be my inability to care about Tom Cruise, even if he really is dangling from the bottom of that helicopter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:40 pm 
Meanwhile...

Is he doing the stunts? That's the other problem with modern action movies - sometimes it's hard to tell even when the actors are doing something impressive. There are some behind the scenes of Chris Evans that look more amazing than the finished film with effects applied because you realize that while the robots aren't real, that horizontal spinning kick is. Or, in one of the fast and furious movies, they actually dropped the cars off the airplane, although without the actors.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 pm 

Oh yeah, Cruise is famous now for doing most of his own stunts and the marketing materials for the movie push that a lot. There must have been moments where it's faked but if there were, I couldn't tell as it always looks like Cruise is totally the one jumping out of that plane or weaving the bike through on-going traffic. If it is him doing it like they say, it's some of the craziest stunts I've ever seen. Like an early crazy skydiving scene that they're saying, yup, Cruise genuinely jumped out of a plane with a camera strapped to his chest. It's nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

I’m with you Yov, just can’t get myself to care about that guy even a whit.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:22 am 

[Totally agrees with Inanna and the others about Cruise]

Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:24 pm 
Hobbit

I don't care much about Cruise either way, but this clip was amusing:

And it really does appear that Cruise loves sky diving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73