It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 pm 
Feeling grateful

I think you might be able to guess whether I would consider it better or worse. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 pm 
of Vinyamar

I can indeed. But as a transcendentalist, I think you might enjoy it anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:57 pm 
Feeling grateful

Well, I (mostly) enjoyed the Hobbit films, so I guess there is hope for me. ;)

Obviously, this is going to take a fair amount of imaginitive thinking, since the "source material" is so bare-bones. The key question is going to be who is in charge, which we probably won't know for a while. Interestingly, despite the twitter posts, there is still nothing posted at TORN's home page.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Oh, she is Shape-shifting. Ok. Cuz spiders ain’t sexy, whatever you might do. To humans, that is. They are, presumably, sexy to other spiders.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 pm 
Wrong within normal parameters

Dave_LF wrote:
Alatar wrote:
Pretty much the only way they could go. Established character to draw in casual viewers. Also, this was my prediction from day one, so yay me... :)

Heck; I predicted it right after seeing that little "oh, by the way" at the end of BO5A. :D But I was expecting another film.

Attachment:
MaybeTV.jpg
MaybeTV.jpg [ 53.76 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 am 

Hold on, is this in movie canon or not? It seems to be, given PJ's involvement. But if it is, Aragorn has no reason to journey far and wide and serve in other lands. He was never challenged by Elrond to be worthy of the kingship in order to marry Arwen, and he doesn't want to be king at all until Arwen's life is bound to the Ring for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 am 

The unrealistic hope should be to expect not merely an entertaining series but something that has some kind of artistic merit as an adaptation. Otherwise what is the point...apart from feeding dull, undemanding TV junk food to the gluttonous consumer? The latest news, while short to say the least, does not bode particularly well. The producers apparently decided to take the safe route by choosing Aragorn as their protagonist. The obvious route for something that is primarily a product, intended to be sold, and one might add, safety does not easily square with great art. As V indicated, it is still too early to pass an educated verdict on the production however. Head writers and main cast still have to be revealed to push this in the "bad stuff department".

But yeah, I am fully expecting either a "lighthearted", rather trashy, young Aragon-goes-on-neatly-packaged-adventures (look at those zany sidekicks) series, or a "more mature" (ie adolescent) series that focus on characters "who are not black and white", something that could very likely turn into the same narrative piece of nonsense as the named video game.

Ultimately, the best that a TV series in our current cultural climate can possibly offer are small snippets to the more profound elements of Middle-earth. What matters is the ratio: if one needs to watch 600 minutes of dreck to find 5 minutes of decent material in there, it would be probably better to return to other activities.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am 

One more positive point: this could indicate that we have here at our hands an anthology series which would serve the source material well and would open up room for more noticeable qualitative improvements in later seasons. Who knows...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm 
Feeling grateful

Anduril wrote:
Hold on, is this in movie canon or not? It seems to be, given PJ's involvement. But if it is, Aragorn has no reason to journey far and wide and serve in other lands. He was never challenged by Elrond to be worthy of the kingship in order to marry Arwen, and he doesn't want to be king at all until Arwen's life is bound to the Ring for some reason.

It remains to be seen. So far as I have been able to determine, Jackson's involvement has been limited to allowing permission to use some material from the films. That certainly does not mean that they would feel it necessary to adhere to the aspects of the films that veered so wildly from the true canon. I can't say I'm optimistic, but I'm not giving up hope yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 pm 

I keep remembering the quote about wanting the next 'Game of Thrones,' which I think is the closest thing we have to a declaration of intent. I took that to mean, wanting something that will be similarly popular. Considering what it is that makes GoT popular might be the best way to predict the sort of show we are going to get.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:49 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Oh Krishna. That sounds awful.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9