Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Donald Trump was banned from Twitter early in 2021. After Elon Musk purchased the social network, now renamed X, he lifted Trump's ban, but the disgraced former president hadn't post there for more than 18 months until tonight, when he xweeted a photoshopped version of his mugshot that he's now using to sell merchandise with the tagline "never surrender," even though the photo was taken by police after he surrendered to them.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

Post by N.E. Brigand »

How reliable is the-express.com, which claims that Donald Trump "seemingly transferred Mar A Lago estate to his son before his arrest"?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Because that's the kind of thing that 'Back the Badge' law & order people do. :roll:

My father once signed over the house/business, etc.. to us (teenagers) when he thought he was facing a law suit. We had no idea what we were signing.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:42 am Donald Trump was banned from Twitter early in 2021. After Elon Musk purchased the social network, now renamed X, he lifted Trump's ban, but the disgraced former president hadn't post there for more than 18 months until tonight, when he xweeted a photoshopped version of his mugshot that he's now using to sell merchandise with the tagline "never surrender," even though the photo was taken by police after he surrendered to them.
"Election Interference, Never Surrender" is actually an ok caption for his mugshot?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It certainly technically violates the terms of his release but in practice it is not enough to address.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

That too, but I meant that was a reasonable caption for his opponents to put with the mugshot. More projection/accusation=confession stuff.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:16 am How reliable is the-express.com, which claims that Donald Trump "seemingly transferred Mar A Lago estate to his son before his arrest"?
Not so reliable.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Trump apparently was allowed to self-report his weight and height when being booked. He's supposedly 6' 2" tall and 215 lbs. :roll:

How typical that he can't even tell the truth about that... :suspicious:

I much prefer this mugshot: :D
Attachments
Obama's mugshot.jpg
Obama's mugshot.jpg (18.6 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is a good summary of the hearing yesterday on Mark Meadows' bid to remove his part of the case to federal court, in which he surprisingly testified himself.

Mark Meadows takes stand in bid to derail Georgia criminal charges
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

What would any of the defendants hypothetically have to gain by moving to DC? Can't the "I'm immune because I was acting within the scope of my federal duties" argument be made in state court?

Also, what happens if they do move to federal court and the GA Congressional Republicans subsequently succeed in getting Willis fired?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:20 pm What would any of the defendants hypothetically have to gain by moving to DC?
From what I've heard, if it gets moved it (likely) won't be televised and Meadows (et al) probably realize just how damaging a televised trial would be.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:20 pm What would any of the defendants hypothetically have to gain by moving to DC? Can't the "I'm immune because I was acting within the scope of my federal duties" argument be made in state court?
The case would not be moved to D.C. It would be moved to federal court in the Northern District of Georgia. Among other things, that would likely give them a more conservative jury pool. And the "I'm immune because I was acting within the scope of my federal duties" defense is a federal question, not a state law question.
Also, what happens if they do move to federal court and the GA Congressional Republicans subsequently succeed in getting Willis fired?
The legislature is not going to succeed in getting Willis fired, and even if they did, it would not impact the case. A new liberal D.A. would take over the job, and of course the D.A. herself is not the one actually prosecuting the case, it is the folks in her office. Removal to federal court would not have any impact on who prosecutes the case.
Voronwë the Faithful

Judge Jones has requested additional briefing on the following issue:
Count 1 of the Indictment (pertaining to Georgia's
Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act
(RICO), O.C.G.A. § 16-14-4(c)) contains a number of
overt acts attributed to Mr. Meadows. Would a finding
that at least one (but not all) of the overt acts charged
occurred under the color of Meadows' s office, be
sufficient for federal removal of a criminal prosecution
under 28 U.S.C. § 1442(a)(l)?

The Parties shall file supplemental briefing by 5:00 p.m., Thursday,
August 31, 2023.
That suggests to me that Judge Jones believes that some of the acts that Meadows is accused of was not under the color of Meadow's office, which certainly defeat immunity. I'll be curious to see the briefings because I have no idea of the answer to the question with regard to removal.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:55 pm Here is a good summary of the hearing yesterday on Mark Meadows' bid to remove his part of the case to federal court, in which he surprisingly testified himself.

Mark Meadows takes stand in bid to derail Georgia criminal charges
The Washington Post report on yesterday's hearing likewise found that Raffensberger's testimony somewhwat undercut the prosecution's argument.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Fox News ran a primetime story showing a mural based on Donald Trump's mugshot with this caption: "Mugshot is Ammo for Trump Campaign" and pointed to it as further evidence of their theme that "inner city" residents who have had run-ins with the law will sympathize with Trump's plight and see him as someone who understands the "forgotten man."

Fox didn't show viewers the full mural, which includes the caption "M.A.G.A. My Ass Got Arrested."
Voronwë the Faithful

As Joyce Alene notes,
This is Willis' polite way of advising a new-ish judge who may not have seen this issue before that he has a little more work to do here. It's deft & precise, showing respect for the judge while getting the needed clarification.
Voronwë the Faithful

Now both Chesebro and Powell have filed formal motions to sever. Powell's is particularly amusing.

Chesebro also files a motion to reveal the names of the unindicted co-conspirators.

Voronwë the Faithful

Trump has also filed a motion to sever his case from Cheseboro and Powell's cases.

Voronwë the Faithful

This is how it should be done.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:11 pm Judge Jones has requested additional briefing on the following issue:
Count 1 of the Indictment (pertaining to Georgia's
Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act
(RICO), O.C.G.A. § 16-14-4(c)) contains a number of
overt acts attributed to Mr. Meadows. Would a finding
that at least one (but not all) of the overt acts charged
occurred under the color of Meadows' s office, be
sufficient for federal removal of a criminal prosecution
under 28 U.S.C. § 1442(a)(l)?

The Parties shall file supplemental briefing by 5:00 p.m., Thursday,
August 31, 2023.
That suggests to me that Judge Jones believes that some of the acts that Meadows is accused of was not under the color of Meadow's office, which certainly defeat immunity. I'll be curious to see the briefings because I have no idea of the answer to the question with regard to removal.
Here is Fani Willis's briefing on this question.